• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil Change

Ah, thought were talking about chain 1 and didn't realize you were talking about chain 2. Interesting that chain 2 kinked so early too.
Well it was an el cheap o $80 chain. The DID chain was like twice as much IIRC.

HaHa all the gas money I saved with my NC700X went for chain replacements :)

So I did the 600 mile oil change on my DCT and after hearing the horror stories of removing the stock filter (and my personal experience with auto's in the same vein), I bought one of the Lisle filter wrenches and prepared for battle. laying on my back, got some leverage on the socket wrench and heaved into it ... and about broke my knuckles when the filter loosened easily! Couldn't have been easier. Pouring the oil into the filler hole was the messiest part .. bought one of those surgical tube fillers (waste of money). Funnel would be much easier and less mess.

New to the forum, glad I found it. I just purchased a used NC 700X, 2012 with only 1800 original miles. Great deal, long story. I'm a bit confused about this basic maintinenance on the bike. After watching several you tube videos I'm even more confused. I detailed the bike 2-weeks after I bought it. It was very clean at purchase, However, I was eager. I cleaned and lubed the chain. Washed with a high end car wash soap, used two buckets, one to wash and one to rinse. I armor alled the black detail but didnt wax the bike because I was gun shy to use turtle wax. I have put 700 miles on the bike in a month and am looking to do an oil change this weekend. Am I being too anal???. I think changing the oil every 600 miles or so seems like overkill, any feedback apperciated. P.S. glad to be here

New to the forum, glad I found it. I just purchased a used NC 700X, 2012 with only 1800 original miles. Great deal, long story. I'm a bit confused about this basic maintinenance on the bike. After watching several you tube videos I'm even more confused. I detailed the bike 2-weeks after I bought it. It was very clean at purchase, However, I was eager. I cleaned and lubed the chain. Washed with a high end car wash soap, used two buckets, one to wash and one to rinse. I armor alled the black detail but didnt wax the bike because I was gun shy to use turtle wax. I have put 700 miles on the bike in a month and am looking to do an oil change this weekend. Am I being too anal???. I think changing the oil every 600 miles or so seems like overkill, any feedback apperciated. P.S. glad to be here
Welcome Soulsurfer! Only the first oil change is done at 600 miles. This is after the break in of newly manufactured and assembled parts. After that first one the oil can be used for 8000 miles. Personally I change it at 5000 miles but Honda says the interval can be 8000.

Get an owners manual or service manual if you didn't get one with the bike. They can be ordered from Helm, Inc. It explains basic maintenance and provides the schedule. After the initial break-in 600 mile oil change, oil gets changed at 8000 mile or 12 month intervals. If you are unsure whether the 600 mile change was actually done, you can change it now, otherwise wait until 8000. Doing it more often than 8000 miles or 12 months is not necessary, according to Honda.

I actually run my oil 8000 miles or 24 months, whichever comes first, but that deviation from the schedule is my choice.

Be careful cleaning the chain. Over zealous cleaning can lead to it's early demise.

Last edited:
Hi, No such thing as a dumb question (so here goes one) --- Getting ready to do my first oil change on my new Nc700x. Is it necessary to remove the plastic bottom piece to remove the oil filter ? If I have to remove the plastic on the bottom of the bike is it just the two screws and then pull it off ? Thanks for the help.

Hi, No such thing as a dumb question (so here goes one) --- Getting ready to do my first oil change on my new Nc700x. Is it necessary to remove the plastic bottom piece to remove the oil filter ? If I have to remove the plastic on the bottom of the bike is it just the two screws and then pull it off ? Thanks for the help.

The owners's manual that comes with the bike suggests removing the lower fairing for changing the oil filter, and it instructs you how to do so. I remove mine. There are probably some owners that have managed without removing it.

There are the two screws to remove, then the fairing goes forward and pulls out of two rubber grommet fasteners.

Why is full synthetic bad?

IMHO

At the risk of being suckered into an oil thread lol, there is nothing at all wrong with full synthetic other than arguably, how expensive it is and whether or not it's worth it or a waste of money. There is lots wrong with an oil that has the aforementioned "Energy Conserving" label, and it's attempted use in a motorcycle with a typical shared wet clutch gearbox/crankcase due to slippery additives put into the E.C. oil. (which is meant for cars, not (most) bikes)

People often misconstrue synthetic with slippery, but it just isn't so, as an across the board statement. It's possible to be more slippery in a car oil, but not a JASO motorcycle oil.

Also, sometimes there are additive packages put into different types of oils, which can have varying effects on the rubber or other kinds of malleable seals found in engines. Some oils have stuff that swells these seals, trying to prevent oil leakage from an old tired motor, with deteriorated seals. If you switched to a "better" synthetic oil that didn't happen to have any other curious additives, you could be convinced that it was more slippery, due to your car suddenly springing oil leaks, making you falsely believe that the synthetic was more slippery, and was the cause of the leaks, when that simply wasn't the case.

Because if engines last longer fewer people will be buying new motorcycles.

At it stands, in the vast, VAST majority of cases, the engine well outlasts the ownership period of the machine. So much fuss over the oil's effect on engine life seems like a waste of time.

I've owned and maintained engines for 40 years. I own 20 engines right now. I don't pay or do any more than needed to do the required maintenance. I have never had an engine "wear out". I did put new piston rings in my Honda lawn mower, but it was 28 years old at the time. It's 31 years old now and I'm still using it. I've never used synthetic oil.

My current personally owned van has 180,000 miles on it, and consumes no oil between changes. In a couple years I will trade it or give it away, and the engine will not be worn out. It had nothing but the cheapest oil in it, and never was the oil changed sooner than the maintenance schedule called for.

Last edited:
At it stands, in the vast, VAST majority of cases, the engine well outlasts the ownership period of the machine. So much fuss over the oil's effect on engine life seems like a waste of time.
I have outlasted multiple engines on cars and trucks but am relatively new to motorcycles. I keep driving a 4 wheeler until it becomes unreliable. Did have an '88 Honda Accord that even properly taken care of started burning oil around 160,000 miles.

As for engine outlasting ownership that is primarily for the first owner. Bike may eventually give up on someone even though not first owner. Last owner probably has no idea how it was taken care of early in life.

I try to make them last as long as I can because it is good stewardship of resources. I see no reason not to do the best I can to protect something I own whether it is a guitar, a lawnmower, a firearm, a motorcycle. Whatever. If I keep it, great. If I sell it or give it away, I pass the blessing of good care on to someone else. The concept of not taking good care of something because I am not planning to keep it is foreign to me. But then, I am an odd duck.

I try to make them last as long as I can because it is good stewardship of resources. I see no reason not to do the best I can to protect something I own whether it is a guitar, a lawnmower, a firearm, a motorcycle. Whatever. If I keep it, great. If I sell it or give it away, I pass the blessing of good care on to someone else. The concept of not taking good care of something because I am not planning to keep it is foreign to me. But then, I am an odd duck.

I agree completely.

I'm in to keeping things for the long haul and in good shape. As I said, one regularly used lawn mower is 31 years old and counting, and we're keeping our van until at least 200,000 miles are on it. I have a terrible time throwing things away. I still have the bicycle I used in high school. I still have a Commodore 64.

When I do sell things they usually look like new.

Last edited:

I don't know why really but I do the same.

Back