• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil Change

Shad

Reaction score
Visit site
So as a new owner, I want to change the oil on my 2015 NC700XD. I have tried the search engine on this site and can't find a thread on it. Everyone here seems to be beyond this basic maintenance and are working on modifications. Is it hard to do? What tools and parts would I need? As a new owner is this something I can do myself? Also, how often should the chain be lubed? Any help is appreciated.

The first thing I would do is get a shop manual. You will go far with it.
I don't have an XD so I can't speak to that but on the chain, every 600 miles or 3 tanks full, lube it.
I never clean it except for whatever the spray can of lube knocks off the second time around.
A center stand makes both of these jobs a lot easier.

Changing the engine oil is simple. Drain, change the filter, refill. Easy to do by yourself. I try to do it every 1,000 miles or so or at least every season. Same with the chain. Nothing special about it. Of course, if you've gotten the chain especially dirt while riding, doesn't hurt to at least clean it up and re-lube.

Try a search on both subjects, as there are a bunch of posts here that cover engine oil and chain lube.

A lot of the enjoyment of owning any machine is to do the stuff yourself. If you feel like you are getting in over your head..... there's a ton of folks on this site that can help you out. Enjoy!

So as a new owner, I want to change the oil on my 2015 NC700XD. I have tried the search engine on this site and can't find a thread on it. Everyone here seems to be beyond this basic maintenance and are working on modifications. Is it hard to do? What tools and parts would I need? As a new owner is this something I can do myself? Also, how often should the chain be lubed? Any help is appreciated.

Changing the oil is not difficult. You will some basic hand tools such as metric hex key (Allen) wrenches, ratchet with either a 14 or 17 mm socket and an oil filter wrench.

It is recommended to use 10-30W oil rated for using with motorcycles. I found that 10-40W will work just fine. I'd recommend full synthetic, Shell Rotella 15-40W in the blue bottle. You can also use Amsoil for motorcycles to.

k2-_276d4f55-1a85-4ec4-b514-964dacb57683.v1.jpg-0429c938c043a390a3c452f330875a38ed16ddf4-optim-4.jpg

Do not use any oils that have friction reducers or contain Molybdenum. Always look on the back of the bottle for this seal and do not select ones with these phrases such as "Energy Conversion".

API_donut.jpg

Get yourself a Honda Shop Manual, it will be worth the investment if you plan on working on your bike.

I found this video on YouTube on how to change the oil on the NC700X. I hope this helps you out.

[video=youtube;U1R2y8eIwfw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1R2y8eIwfw[/video]

Regarding the chain lubrication. I do mine every 1,000 miles or so. The chain is an O-ring chain and does not require a whole lot of maintenance. Selection of the right chain lube also has a lot to do with that.

I recommend DuPont Teflon Chain Saver. I found this last year while I was in Illinois at a Walmart on Summer Trip.

dupont-chain-saver-travel-size-review.jpg

Having a Centerstand helps a lot with both changing the oil and lubing the chain... :eek:

Last edited:
Easy to change. Just like a car except the DCT has a second filter which is accessed on the right hand side cover. Main spin-on filter is front bottom center of the bike. The main filter can be purchased just about anywhere. There are a couple of threads on compatible filters. The secondary DCT filter will need to be purchased at a dealership or online. Owner's manual has the change schedule which is 600 miles and then every 8k or sooner if you like. Make sure the oil you use is JASO MA compliant. Anything labeled energy conserving is not JASO MA compliant. Beyond that requirement there are several threads on which oil people thinks is best.

This thread has links to other threads for new owners: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/main-l...how-please-read-before-posting-questions.html

The official service manual can be purchased from helm inc (web address is in back of owner's manual) or sometimes found on ebay. There is a dude in the UK that wrote his own service manual aimed at people new to bike maintenance. You can also find it on ebay and has good reviews. It gives a more step by step process to working on the bike than the Honda service manual but doesn't get into tearing down the engine and such.

I did it last weekend. The only painful part was removing the original factory oil filter without having the specialized wrench for it. Ended up hitting it with a screwdriver and hammer until it loosened up. Replaced with a K&N that has the nice built in nut on the top of the filter.

Easy to change. Just like a car except the DCT has a second filter which is accessed on the right hand side cover. Main spin-on filter is front bottom center of the bike. The main filter can be purchased just about anywhere. There are a couple of threads on compatible filters. The secondary DCT filter will need to be purchased at a dealership or online.

The Honda Service Manual would go over the DCT Filter Change in greater detail. All is needed is a 8mm socket and a racket.

You will have to purchase the filter element "6" (15412-MGS-D21) and an O-ring "27" (91302-PA9-003).

DCTFilter.jpg

so you don't go for first maintenance service to the dealer? it's not only an oil change but overall check of the bike.

so you don't go for first maintenance service to the dealer? it's not only an oil change but overall check of the bike.

That's all depends on to what is your comfort level. Also if you have any other issues that you would like the dealer to check into a warranty repair.

If you do not fell comfortable or have any issues that you want to have looked at. Then I would say take it you the dealer. If not, do it yourself.

I personally took NaNCy in for the first 600 mile service to a dealer that I could trust to make sure that everything was on the "Up & Up". The dealer I bought the bike from had a shady reputation and was known for unethical practices.

My dealer wanted me to coming in at 4,000 miles for another oil change and inspection. The next oil change is scheduled at 8,000 miles, not 4,000. The service manual stated that only an inspection was required and had a list of the items to inspect. I did that one myself and it took me about 10 minutes to complete.

The Honda Service Manual is a must have... :cool:

I would recommend doing it as often as Honda says (more often is just a drain on the environment) and also using the weight recommended, which is 10W 30 whether synthetic or not.

I would recommend doing it as often as Honda says (more often is just a drain on the environment) and also using the weight recommended, which is 10W 30 whether synthetic or not.

The Honda Service Manual specifies that 10W-40 is also acceptable, and there seem to be far more retail choices in that weight that meet specs than there is in 10W-30. But, if you can find the 10W-30 in the location and price range you like, go for it.

I have over 500k miles on Honda engines between cars and motorcycles and never had any issues beyond scheduled maintenance and normal repairs. I've done everything exactly by the owners manual that came with the vehicles. Regardless of other people's two cents, I figure the people who built the vehicles know what is best.

I recommend doing the same with your Nc700 and when you take it in for the 600 mile check up insist that they change the clutch oil filter also. The San Diego dealership didn't even know that the bike had one. The manual says 10-30 oil, use 10-30 (synthetic is not required or recommended). The manual says lube the chain every 500 miles. Spend an evening reading the owners manual. It will be time well spent.

My two cents.

Folks are jumping on my "1,000 mile comment" earlier. I typed the comment out-of-context. It was meant to be in reference to chain lube, not engine oil. Don't hate!

Folks are jumping on my "1,000 mile comment" earlier. I typed the comment out-of-context. It was meant to be in reference to chain lube, not engine oil. Don't hate!

No hate. We are just a bunch of chickens waiting on a june bug. We take turns being the june bug and it's your time to be in the middle.

Next time you might get to jump on it.

Back