• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC engine used in new range for 2014

It's a nice bike, but not a cruiser that is similar to what is out there now. It will be interesting whether or not it will come to be acceptable to the buying puplic.

High Points
Crusier Style, which includes low seat height. layback seating configuration, forward footpegs (Yes, alot of people like this setup on cruisers), good gas mileage. 6th gear (I don't think any other cruiser in it's class has a 6 speed). Very smooth running (particularly at higher highway speeds) compared to other cruisers in it's class. Storage Compartment. Price. Latest Technology.

Low Points
Does not have the grunt (torque) at low rpm compared to existing v twins.
Requires more shifting.
Chain Drive (nearly all cruisers have belt or shaft drive. (I think this is going to be a deal breaker for some.)
Small Gas Tank
Like the NC700, underpowered for some riders.

I think where this bike could really shine is in freeway driving. Many cruisers in this category seems to be winding out at 70+ mph. The Honda, if like the NC700, would feel very comfortable at these speeds and above.

Rather than creating a new cruiser from scratch, Honda has decided to take a adventure/sport/tour bike and convert it into a cruiser. It's another gamble for Honda as this New cruiser will not feel like the cruisers that are currently on the market.

It's a nice bike, but not a cruiser that is similar to what is out there now. It will be interesting whether or not it will come to be acceptable to the buying puplic.

High Points
Crusier Style, which includes low seat height. layback seating configuration, forward footpegs (Yes, alot of people like this setup on cruisers), good gas mileage. 6th gear (I don't think any other cruiser in it's class has a 6 speed). Very smooth running (particularly at higher highway speeds) compared to other cruisers in it's class. Storage Compartment. Price. Latest Technology.

Low Points
Does not have the grunt (torque) at low rpm compared to existing v twins.
Requires more shifting.
Chain Drive (nearly all cruisers have belt or shaft drive. (I think this is going to be a deal breaker for some.)
Small Gas Tank
Like the NC700, underpowered for some riders.

I think where this bike could really shine is in freeway driving. Many cruisers in this category seems to be winding out at 70+ mph. The Honda, if like the NC700, would feel very comfortable at these speeds and above.

Rather than creating a new cruiser from scratch, Honda has decided to take a adventure/sport/tour bike and convert it into a cruiser. It's another gamble for Honda as this New cruiser will not feel like the cruisers that are currently on the market.

Actually Das I think you are wrong,,,,Truimph are doing pretty well with a parallel twin custom bike which has chain drive,,,,but Me,myself and I would prefare a shaft or at least a belt,I wish they would go and develop a more adventurous adventure NC700X,,,,,(I think you know what I mean!!!)

Me no likey. Feet forward is why I am not still riding a Yamaha TMax and why I wouldn't have interest in the Integra (were it offered here).

Beemerphile,
I'm with you about that feet-forward thing. But I see you do some rather extensive mods - how about picking one up and seeing if you can put the feet back under the rider where God intended ’em to be? The rest of it looks pretty sweet!

I like what Honda is doing with these, yes the pegs are in the wrong place for us, but it isnt aimed at us. the one looks like the old goldwings, or a standard with a Vetter. overall I think honda is doing the smart thing by offering something that isnt a all out racer or Harley clone.

I have been run off the road into a ditch and had to dirt-bike my way out on a pig-heavy Honda ST1100. I hit a pretty good size dog amidships on a 1975 Honda Gold Wing and had to "jump" him like Roger DeCoster. That is two cases where I would be elsewhere doing otherwise at this time if I had forward controls. It also renders impossible the beloved Iron Butt tactic of standing up to relieve AssCrampItis while riding through towns.

If Honda is anything like BMW, then factory parts bin parts from the NC series may bolt up and work. I put R1150GS footpeg brackets and rear suspension on my R1150R. But I'm not thinking it is so likely with Honda. I do have a milling machine and a lathe and some 7075 T6, but HONDABIKEPRO will be on his version 2.1 by time I am a two-armed man.

Hey! Look at that! Slammed NC700s!
;)

They're not my taste, but it'd be nice if that fairing would fit the X. I've been very surprised to discover how good the wind protection on my CBR _was_ by riding my X.

Last edited:
Interesting tid bit, On these bikes the DCT and ABS are only a $1k option.

I noticed that as well. The link was for the 2014 model, so I figured I'd click on the NC700X. They're making the DCT a $1k option for the NC700X as well by raising the standard $500 and lowering the DCT $500: $7500 and $8500 respectively. I'd be irritated if I'd paid full price for the DCT, but I'm happy that I did not. :D

i do like these new models,honda is spot on with these new shapes.its radical and good for the eyes.Not feminish but muscular.ITs like your ordinary toyota coralla.they look okey,they do their job okey.
Faired one looks like a smaller goldwing.I guess lots of goldwinge riders will choose this as a city bike.
They blur the line between street bike and advanture with the nc700x and its a success now wtih this they blur the line cruisers and street bikes.What can i say awesome.I really like to buy the faired one.

Looks like it will hold a pair of gloves nicely. Ours is bigger!

Yes, but they have a forward fuel fill and a one piece seat which many have yearned for. I also read that the footpegs were rubber mounted to reduce felt vibration. They may be admitting to something here. I don't know if there was a change to the balancer shaft or not.

With a cursory glance at the frame, I can't help but wonder if the forward pegs could be fitted to the NC. Not really necessary IMO but it might make for a way to stretch outa on a long ride. Just an idea.

When I did my SS1000, one of the things that helped was being able to move my feet and legs to a different position.

Chris

With a cursory glance at the frame, I can't help but wonder if the forward pegs could be fitted to the NC. Not really necessary IMO but it might make for a way to stretch outa on a long ride. Just an idea.

I was wondering the same thing. My engine guard hoop on the CB400 had them built in. We called them highway pegs and they were nice for stretching out the legs.

THIS line up will have me looking at this bike again. I like the look better than the NC700 Especially the fairing and the fuel filler location. I really didn't like the "beak" on the Nc700X. Kind of looks like a bird from the side

Last edited:
Ergonomically it would be a mistake to install feet-under-hips pegs on a CTX700 variant. The seat height is 4 inches lower than the NC700s. One would have a very acute knee bend angle for that to work and be folded up pretty severely. These bikes are targeted to new riders and they don't know what they want until they get experience and for many riders foot forward controls are what they like and want. Foot forward works for many riders but not for all of course. Count me in the latter but if these bikes bring new riders into the community that can be nothing but good.

With a cursory glance at the frame, I can't help but wonder if the forward pegs could be fitted to the NC.

I was looking before I bought mine and thought for sure that 'highway pegs' would be super simple to put on either the frame or the Honda light bar. Haven't done it, but I still think it would be relative cake to do.

2014 HONDA CTX, the latest "what is that" from honda. these bikes were not received well by dealers. dealers here are not taking near their allocation allowance.

Time will tell. They won't all be hits, some models will fade away. But some will sell big numbers, I have no doubts.

Back