• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

CB500F (or X) vs NC700XD

DirtFlier

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My NC is For Sale and I bought a used CB500F last winter and have put around 8k miles on it. Someone asked me to compare the two so here goes.

The NC has a ton of torque compared to the CB500 and with the latter I had to relearn how to downshift! The CB will RPM like crazy where the NC feels "lazy" while still moving along briskly. With the low RPMs of the NC, it never feels as if you're going fast until you look down at the speedo. They both get around the same miles-per-gallon but the CB has a much bigger tank so it has greater range. There is an 80-85 pound difference between them which was one of the reasons I bought the CB. The weight difference will be less for a non-DCT model.

Obviously, the CB lacks a "frunk" so carrying even small stuff requires something additional such as a top box. The CB feels like a much smaller bike because it is.

I've also owned both. Got the CB 500X from a nephew and I thought it would be my lightweight small bike as I got older and wanting to downsize. It met most of my criteria only FOR ME it was a whole lot of work to ride. A lot of shifting. Up and down. Upshift a bunch on your way up to a high gear come to a curve or slow down for any reason and you had to downshift 2 or 3 times and then work your way back up only to have to down shift a bunch again the next time you slowed down followed by another bunch of upshifts. It couldn't hardly carry a taller gear. It required involvement to ride. Somewhat like a 600cc sport bike kinda. Some guys really enjoy that. For me, I was looking for an easy ride, and that's what the DCT 750 provides. I don't care much about the frunk, I don't store my helmet in it, and what I do carry in it easily fits in a number of tank bags and tail packs I already owned (tank bags won't work on the NC though..at least not on the 21's and up) but now I don't care how many times the bike needs shifting because I'm not doing it, the DCT is. I'm not working to ride, I'm just riding.

If you like, want, or are looking for the involvement of shifting the bike, the CB 500x is a dandy little bike, lightweight, handles well, good fit and finish, gets good mileage..... typical Honda.

u3wv5ich.jpg

Hmmmm downsizing.....I thought I did that from a Harley to the NC 750 and my wife ordered me a Suzuki 400 scooter before she died and that was her idea of "downsizing"...I think.

I'm trying to build a house in Northwest AZ now and I'm still thinking of a summer trip to Newfoundland on the NC and I find myself wishing I had one of my old Goldwings back or at least the ST1300. YES... the NC will get me to far away places and back again...a bit cheaper and I can handle the size and weight of the NC much better than the big bikes BUT...once you get your butt in the seat and lay on some throttle on big bikes it's just different...and probably BETTER.

So far, I'm pretty happy with this "aging thing" (turned 75 awhile back) compared to the alternative so I suppose I need to stop whining and just get on with it. Headed to Grand Canyon West on Thursday and I still need to do the last stretch of Rt 66 to the coast which is a day ride from Kingman...so ride safe while you can folks!!

I very nearly got the cb500x instead of the dct750, but I am SO happy I opted for DCT. My friend, on the other hand, who just purchased a new DCT Goldwing is not happy with not having a clutch. It's his second Goldwing and has had many other bikes but is just not warming up to the DCT. I'm sure it didn't help his opinion of it when he dropped it while turning in his driveway. Fortunately he was able to repair the minor damages.

Hmmmm downsizing.....I thought I did that from a Harley to the NC 750 and my wife ordered me a Suzuki 400 scooter before she died and that was her idea of "downsizing"...I think.

I'm trying to build a house in Northwest AZ now and I'm still thinking of a summer trip to Newfoundland on the NC and I find myself wishing I had one of my old Goldwings back or at least the ST1300. YES... the NC will get me to far away places and back again...a bit cheaper and I can handle the size and weight of the NC much better than the big bikes BUT...once you get your butt in the seat and lay on some throttle on big bikes it's just different...and probably BETTER.

So far, I'm pretty happy with this "aging thing" (turned 75 awhile back) compared to the alternative so I suppose I need to stop whining and just get on with it. Headed to Grand Canyon West on Thursday and I still need to do the last stretch of Rt 66 to the coast which is a day ride from Kingman...so ride safe while you can folks!!
Yea, I've ridden mostly liter + class bikes since 1965 incl 3 big twin HDs, a KZ 1000 Kaw, a GS1100E, a VF1100S Honda, 2 Yam FZ-1's, an ST 1300, 2 CB 1100's, and an FJR 1300 and it is mentally tough to go backwards in size and power especially if you are a tourer, but now after 3 years and 42K miles with the NC, I'm pretty happy with it. I turn 74 next month and I'm not a big fellow to start with, so for me the light weight is good, the power is ok, and I'm not traveling as much as I used to, so the NC is getting the job done. I know that years ago I would argued with you, if you said a 58 hp low revving twin would have made me happy, yet here I am.

I’ve ridden plenty of big bikes over the years, but I’ve always been drawn to small and maneuverable. The biggest bike I’ve owned for any length of time was my R80G/S. Guess what, it was a 53 hp low-revving twin!

My motivation in getting the NC was to have something practical and more relaxed. I was eyeing the CB500X, but it wasn’t that much more relaxed than my 300, and used ones don’t come up often here.

Had the CB500X been introduced by Honda before the NC700X, I might be on a 500 today. In my 500 test rides, I have enjoyed the smooth, linear power delivery of the 500 engine. I find the larger fuel tank, better range, lighter weight, and better ergonomics of the 500 to be advantages over my 700. The 700 has it’s frunk and low center of gravity, but I’ve never been a true fan of the lumpy 270 degree engine.

However, as it turned out the 700 came first, I own it, and I enjoy it’s positive attributes as well. I have heavily modified my 700 and have no desire to do it again with such a similar bike as the 500X.

Had the CB500X been introduced by Honda before the NC700X, I might be on a 500 today. In my 500 test rides, I have enjoyed the smooth, linear power delivery of the 500 engine. I find the larger fuel tank, better range, lighter weight, and better ergonomics of the 500 to be advantages over my 700. The 700 has it’s frunk and low center of gravity, but I’ve never been a true fan of the lumpy 270 degree engine.

However, as it turned out the 700 came first, I own it, and I enjoy its positive attributes as well. I have heavily modified my 700 and have no desire to do it again with such a similar bike as the 500X.
I, on the other hand, am a big fan of lumpy. I like the sound of a 270 twin, even a low-revver like the NC. The Honda 500 twin sounds lifeless and bland to me. It’s a good engine, but not to my ear. This, of course, means nothing, as my tastes and preferences are largely in opposition to those of normal people.

I had a 73 red CB 750...got sent to Turkey in Feb 75 and sold it...thinking I'll get a new one when I come back to the States...never happened but I have had several in-line 4's since then...smooooooth!!

The CB500 series of engines (F, X, and R) were made to fit under the Euro A2 licensing rules so HP is capped at a little below 50 HP. It is essentially a 2-cylinder sport bike engine that has been detuned but it still likes to rev like crazy.

As regards the DCT, it does take some "adjustment" to train one's mind to do what is necessary. It is not a natural transition if you've ridden manual shift bike for your entire life...as most of us have.

I moved up to the NC750X and bought the DCT model because I was curious about it. It took some time getting used to it but I like it. I am looking forward to seeing if the new e-clutch will really replace the DCT and if it will be offered on a 500cc bike.

I am always dreaming of my next bike should something happen to the NC.

For people who rode harleys for years a lot to be said for the familiar sound of a 270 degree crank. No hitting the rev limiter as those harleys were shifted a 5000 when ridden hard. The NC is light enough, handles good and makes all the right sounds, and the frunk is a plus to carry tire plug kit and small air compressor. Who cares about power as those harleys were slow too. Its a great bike.

The 180 degeee crank in bikes like the new ninja 500 just doesnt have the character like the new suzuki gsx8r or the yamaha fz7 sportbike. I just say no to 180 degrees

Of course having a faster bike too scratches that itch

However, as it turned out the 700 came first, I own it, and I enjoy it’s positive attributes as well. I have heavily modified my 700 and have no desire to do it again with such a similar bike as the 500X.
another non fan of the lumpy 270 twin

the lumpy 270 is what sold me lol

Inline 4's and 180's just don't have the character. The 270 is similar to the single crankpin.

Honda got sued by harley when they came out with the ACE because harley said it sounded too much like a harley.

I still remember a guy showing up to work on a ACE and he kept revving it up in the parking lot to anounce his comical entrance.

Inline 4's and 180's just don't have the character. The 270 is similar to the single crankpin.

Honda got sued by harley when they came out with the ACE because harley said it sounded too much like a harley.

I still remember a guy showing up to work on a ACE and he kept revving it up in the parking lot to anounce his comical entrance.
Haha! Yeah, Harley also tried to trademark the potato-potato-potato sound but eventually they gave up.

For people who rode harleys for years a lot to be said for the familiar sound of a 270 degree crank. No hitting the rev limiter as those harleys were shifted a 5000 when ridden hard. The NC is light enough, handles good and makes all the right sounds, and the frunk is a plus to carry tire plug kit and small air compressor. Who cares about power as those harleys were slow too. Its a great bike.

The 180 degeee crank in bikes like the new ninja 500 just doesnt have the character like the new suzuki gsx8r or the yamaha fz7 sportbike. I just say no to 180 degrees

Of course having a faster bike too scratches that itch
All bikes have character; they are just different. My Zero definitely has character, and I like it - very smooth and quiet.

To intentionally build an engine to vibrate or shake makes no sense to me, but to each their own. It certainly has appeal among many motorcyclists.

I sat on a 500, but didn't feel comfortable on it. Knees were too high with my 33" inseam. I have been test riding other bikes, but haven't found anything I like. My nc700x, my Suzuki C50 Boulevard, and even the little KLX 250sf have low torque and don't need to be revd very much to get going. I dislike high reving engines. I keep comparing the test bikes to my 3 bikes and the test bikes fail in comparison.

270 is comparable to 90 degree v twin more so than Harley. Hence rumble not potato. Typically used for torque rather than sound. XS650s are often rephased for dirt track where horsepower means less than power delivery.

Back