• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MadStad adjustable windshield system for the Honda NC700x

You guys are killing me. Or maybe it's the way these threads work.

There seems to be a general preference for MadStad (despite the price and looks) which a poll in another thread seems to bear out. But we have folks like Craigmri who bought a Cee Bailey after a bad MadStad experience. Then there is the whole discussion brought on by someone's (can't find the discussion again) bad experience with a MadStad ripping off and smacking him in the helmet (post was complete with pictures) about brackets and mounting (top vs. bottom hole) and perhaps a redesign by MadStad. Part of it may be that some of these discussions started some time ago and history has overtaken the situation and I'm just not savvy enough to sort out whether I could really order a MadStad today and when I got it, open the box, and install without worry that something won't fit/it will fall off/that I'll need to order someone's specially fabricated brackets or drill some new holes in it (being careful to go slow and not crack it) etc. to make the thing work/look half decent. I get that some is personal preference but the whole discussion is, well, very confusing.

If you all were the folks I used to work with, I'd (try to) find a convenient time that worked for all (or at least most), set up a WebEx, an audio bridge line, and we'd all have a chat starting with "What are the requirements?" and figure out how well each brand satisfies each requirement. In the end, we would hopefully come to a consensus. (There is usually the "money and resources are no object" solution all the way down to one that all agree works for no one/satisfies none of the requirements.) Can't do that, though. Sigh. Maybe I should just wait a month or two for the dust to settle a bit more.

(Just a BTW, I did see on the Cee Baily web site they are offering free shipping through 07JUL13 for anyone interested in going that route. They also offer a MadStad replacement shield for the poster who thought a new MadStad shield was pitted and and an attempt by the installer to polish out was only making the plastic more opaque.)

I have a Cee Bailey 22" on the way now, mostly for the 100 buck difference in price, but also because of the unique look. Hopefully that and the 2" Rox risers will be on the bike before too long. After the 360 mile loop I made yesterday (west 10, north 7, east 16, 5 south) I NEED those parts badly! :D

You guys are killing me. Or maybe it's the way these threads work.

There seems to be a general preference for MadStad (despite the price and looks) which a poll in another thread seems to bear out. But we have folks like Craigmri who bought a Cee Bailey after a bad MadStad experience. Then there is the whole discussion brought on by someone's (can't find the discussion again) bad experience with a MadStad ripping off and smacking him in the helmet (post was complete with pictures) about brackets and mounting (top vs. bottom hole) and perhaps a redesign by MadStad. Part of it may be that some of these discussions started some time ago and history has overtaken the situation and I'm just not savvy enough to sort out whether I could really order a MadStad today and when I got it, open the box, and install without worry that something won't fit/it will fall off/that I'll need to order someone's specially fabricated brackets or drill some new holes in it (being careful to go slow and not crack it) etc. to make the thing work/look half decent. I get that some is personal preference but the whole discussion is, well, very confusing.

If you all were the folks I used to work with, I'd (try to) find a convenient time that worked for all (or at least most), set up a WebEx, an audio bridge line, and we'd all have a chat starting with "What are the requirements?" and figure out how well each brand satisfies each requirement. In the end, we would hopefully come to a consensus. (There is usually the "money and resources are no object" solution all the way down to one that all agree works for no one/satisfies none of the requirements.) Can't do that, though. Sigh. Maybe I should just wait a month or two for the dust to settle a bit more.

(Just a BTW, I did see on the Cee Baily web site they are offering free shipping through 07JUL13 for anyone interested in going that route. They also offer a MadStad replacement shield for the poster who thought a new MadStad shield was pitted and and an attempt by the installer to polish out was only making the plastic more opaque.)

I have a CalSci that took a long time to come loose will riding in a heavy headwind. It took a while but it did. I already had the HONDABIKEPRO nut plates, so I wasn't worried too much about it.
Since then Madstad has added their own version. At least with the Madstad, I have the option of a variable screen. If I don't like the one they send me, I could make my own.
I'm not out to endorse any product, but make it work for me. From the research that I have done, the Madstad appears to be the best bet for me. YMMV

As with pretty much all things riding, a lot goes down to personal preference and what makes your individual ride experience more comfortable/enjoyable. So some people love the madstad, others thinks it's meh, and others don't like it. When I read peoples reviews on this site, I don't really look at whether they like product A or not. I concentrate on how articulate they are about what product A was like when they where riding, and how that riding experience resulted in them rating it the way they did. I have read a couple of reviews where the person didn't like the product, but their explanation of their experience with it when riding wasn't something that would have bothered me. Based on the overall reviews on the madstad (and the quality of those reviews) compared to the other windscreens, I ordered a madstad for my bike, feeling pretty confident that the madstad will meet my needs. I won't know for sure until I actually get it on my bike and use, so there is the chance that I could be wrong. I can read reviews till the end of time, but in the end to avoid paralysis by analysis I made the decision on the madstad.

CMGuy: For starters, the Madstad can be returned. I think they allow 60 days. To summarize windshield stories here as I read them: turbulence, noise, and head buffeting seem to issues with most, especially the OEM Honda Touring screen. The CalSci was perhaps the first aftermarket screen available, and it is a really large one, lots of surface area. That places a lot of force on the bottom OEM well nuts, and eventually some of them have been reported to fail. In response, HondaBikePro (Dale) made some custom nut plates that are solid, no rubber.

The Madstad that fell off was because it was installed with the all the stock OEM well nuts backwards. Fairly amazing that it did not fall off in the first 100 yards. But to avoid any possible liability, Madstad is now supplying his screens with a nut plate very similar to Dale's, and has also sent all previous purchasers of the NC700 screens. I haven't yet bothered to replace the stock well nuts because in my opinion, the situation is not as critical as it was for CalSci as the surface area is considerably less. In addition, the forces will cause the bottom well nuts to fail first (if at all) and cause the windshield to pivot back on the upper well nuts, which is unlikely to cause an accident. That said, a solid mounting system just makes a lot more sense all round and I plan on doing that when I get around to it. I'm unconcerned in the meantime and have fifteen hundred high speed miles on the screen.

The Madstad is unique among the choices available in that it channels air upwards both in front and behind the screen. These streams merge smoothly at the top of the screen and continue up a ways before becoming horizontal. It seems to do that at all height adjustments below my eye level, only extreme angle adjustments could screw this up. The only way to get a similar functional result with other screens seems to be to mount it high enough that you are looking through it rather than over it. That is a personal choice of course.

The person who was really unhappy with the Madstad trialed it at the Madstad shop. It was misinstalled and scratched his instrument cluster. That no doubt colored his entire experience with Madstad the company and product. I can't speak to the quality of the acrylic, mine seems fine.

I thought the instructions that came with the Madstad fine. Mind you, my bike came from the factory with the OEM well nuts in the upper position and that is how I installed it - no possibility to scratch anything. If you install in the upper position, nothing can go wrong. Install in the lower position and you will have to reverse the upper Madstad mounting bolt. That's it.

It is ugly, which until recently was the biggest complaint on this and other bike forums. If esthetics concern you, I would advise getting the 22" screen with the holes drilled higher (dropping the screen to compensate for the extra height). I would also recommend getting the older adjust a plates (requires a wrench to adjust). You won't need to be playing with the adjustment, and the older mounting system brings the screen much closer to the mounting plate, also looking better.

What I like about the Madstadt is it is ADJUSTABLE. When I original put it on it was right at the bottom of adjustable range but perfect . I am the guy that redrilled holes lower to play with it. Then I did the seat slope mod so I raised windshield, now in hot weather I put on a beaded seat so I raised it some more . Now I find on long runs I like the seat sloped more, I put a towel under front of seat to raise it even more so up goes the shield. I look over it but have it so the air stream just flows over the top of my helmet, I can open top vent of my Nolan 104 and actually get cool, air flow through my helmet. I also like that when I am going to ride a lot of gravel roads I put shield down all the way and angle it back I can see right in front of me and not have to try to read gravel conditions through the slight distortion of plastic. Now if I could just have it powered I would like it even more.

CMGuy:
The Madstad is unique among the choices available in that it channels air upwards both in front and behind the screen. These streams merge smoothly at the top of the screen and continue up a ways before becoming horizontal. It seems to do that at all height adjustments below my eye level, only extreme angle adjustments could screw this up. The only way to get a similar functional result with other screens seems to be to mount it high enough that you are looking through it rather than over it. That is a personal choice of course.
Unique? The National Cycle Wind Deflector is mounted separately from the fairing above the headlight and if a lower or fly screen type of shield is fabricated it serves in a similar function to the Madstad base plate. That is how I mounted and adjusted mine anyway. Airflow is split at the base of the Deflector with some passing behind it and most in front of it. The videos I posted show air moving upwards behind the shield and smooth laminar flow off the top edge of the Deflector. At any rate it is using the same "slot effect" to quiet and smooth air that some other motorcycle windshields use.

I also purchased a Madstad - it should arrive on the 17th. For reasons that have already been posted by other members.

I originally ordered a clear Sport SD model in 22", but Mark @ Madstad e-mailed me back and upgraded it to a whopping 24" due to my height. He felt the 22" would not be enough for me.
Already customer service at it's best, and I don't even have the product yet.

I am 6' 5" tall (34 inseam), and ride currently with the OEM short screen that come with the bike. And I get beat up every time I ride. Head swaying side to side (head turns are almost neck breaking), chest taking wind hits like I'm in a boxing match (body blow, body blow..put em away!), and the odd feeling that the bikes front end will involuntarily pop a wheelie - nope, that's me, my body getting pushed backwards like a rag doll. An odd feeling for a guy my size (yes, I tip the scale pretty deep too)
So I bought a Madstad - the adjust-ability alone sold me on it, and the dual surfaces of the mounting plate and of the windscreen itself to help direct the air flow and smooth it out was a welcome bonus. I am looking for all the help I can get, and hoping the Madstad will give me the help I need to make the ride from enjoyable but draining to enjoyable and relaxing. And I hope to actually hear what the bike sounds like while running instead of the wind I currently hear now - deafening. No, it is not the prettiest screen out there, or the least expensive, but I figure function over form, and if I'm going to do it, might as well do it right the first time. I could have gone for saddlebags or a top case to make the ride more convenient, but I chose the Madstad to make the ride more enjoyable and comfortable.

Once I receive it, install, adjust, and ride, I'll report back how it works for me. But your results may vary.

Mark at Madstad is a great guy to deal with, he truly wants to make you happy.

I had him do a custom shield system for a bike that he did not make a windshield system for, it came out awesome.

I had to use ear plugs as the wind noise was very bad and can damage your hearing in no time.

after the addition of the madsatd system I dont need to wear any ear plugs, most of the loud wind noise pollution is gone.

It is surprising the difference it makes in noise, and smoothing out the air, the only time i have had any head buffeting is when the wind is very gusty, that is not very often, actually very rare, but it is still much better than it was

Only problem is when you get the Madstad shield installed, and you are able to enjoy longer rides, In more comfort, then the seat is going to be a PAIN in the A$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Unique? The National Cycle Wind Deflector is mounted separately from the fairing above the headlight and if a lower or fly screen type of shield is fabricated it serves in a similar function to the Madstad base plate. That is how I mounted and adjusted mine anyway. Airflow is split at the base of the Deflector with some passing behind it and most in front of it. The videos I posted show air moving upwards behind the shield and smooth laminar flow off the top edge of the Deflector. At any rate it is using the same "slot effect" to quiet and smooth air that some other motorcycle windshields use.

Just about any windshield could be mounted in a similar way. The Madstad is unique in those available in that it is the only one that comes that way, no customizing required. Do it yourselfers do not need branded product kits at all, especially ones as expensive as the Madstad. You can also add adjustability to any windshield out there, but the Madstad certainly has a larger range than most aftermarket adaptors and is not just up and down.

It is true if someone wanted to save some money they could look at the madstad site and download the instruction/setup manual.

The angle of the shield will always be the same, that could be a fixed angle, the height would not be to hard to get pretty close and that too could be fixed.

The thing about the madstad shield is that once it is adjusted RIGHT, it is adjusted pretty much forever, you do not need to be adjusting it after the initial adjustment.

That said it is nice to have adjustment for some wet weather, just in case. But if it is pouring you will get wet.

I am happy with my purchase of the madstad system, and will proabley buy more from Madsatd as needed.

It is true if someone wanted to save some money they could look at the madstad site and download the instruction/setup manual.

The angle of the shield will always be the same, that could be a fixed angle, the height would not be to hard to get pretty close and that too could be fixed.

The thing about the madstad shield is that once it is adjusted RIGHT, it is adjusted pretty much forever, you do not need to be adjusting it after the initial adjustment.

That said it is nice to have adjustment for some wet weather, just in case. But if it is pouring you will get wet.

I am happy with my purchase of the madstad system, and will proabley buy more from Madsatd as needed.

For me, I want the on the fly adjustability of being able to have a 'shield higher for on the highway getting to offroad, and then lowered down as far as possible for the gravel work and trail use.

Mine is siting on my couch now! Tomorrow it will be on my NCX, hopefully I will put my PR3's on then also! Pics on my phone, but it's time for bed. TTFN!

I agree with you L.B.S.,

I really like the adjust-ability of the Madstad system and would not be without it.

not only that,

If it is cold, you angle the top a little forward, for more coverage.

If it is HOT!!, angle the top back a little bit for more air flow.

When you find a could of really good spots, I mark them with a silver sharpie on the bracket, for a quick adjustment, reference point. makes adjustment really fast.

That's why i currently have the Madstad system on a few of my bikes, it just works, and it makes riding farther more comfortable.

For me, I want the on the fly adjustability of being able to have a 'shield higher for on the highway getting to offroad, and then lowered down as far as possible for the gravel work and trail use.

If it is cold, you angle the top a little forward, for more coverage.

If it is HOT!!, angle the top back a little bit for more air flow.

When you find a could of really good spots, I mark them with a silver sharpie on the bracket, for a quick adjustment, reference point. makes adjustment really fast.

Thanks for this bit about accommodating winter and summer . Somewhere else on this forum I noted a concern about, since I live in SE AZ, I kinda like some air this time of year. One come back was to have a summer and winter shield. Glad to know the MadStad is for all seasons.

absolutely!!!

Hott!! weather drop the shield to its lowest position, and tilt it back some you can still get fairly smooth air but get more of it, a added benefit, is you don't get the Hot engine heat (and Dirty air) swirling behind the shield for you to breath, making you even hotter and draining your energy.

Mine is siting on my couch now! Tomorrow it will be on my NCX....
Would be interested in hearing how the install goes, i.e., is it straightforward (~1/2 hour as someone else said), all the re-engineered attaching features present and accounted for, and can someone like me who can usually figure out which end of the screwdriver to hold (I do have a fairly complete tool box including a set of metric sockets, box and allen wrenches) accomplish the install in that same straightforward manner.

A half hour is more than sufficient to install.

I talked to Mark Madstad today and he is going to change the drilling on the base plate 1/8" going forward so there cannot be any issue with a nut hitting the instrument cluster mount with either of the mounting options - the upper and lower OEM mounting location.

Back