• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MadStad adjustable windshield system for the Honda NC700x

hey John boy,

are those the new brackets or the standard robo brackets

They look like the new brackets

That is a really nice looking bike you have there, love the saddle bags and top box is that a standard honda top box?

Very nice? I am sure it is a lot of fun and is very smooth now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought my youngest boy a CRF80F. (Kind of broke!)
You guy's are making it very hard for me not to go ahead and get one of these!

hey John boy,

are those the new brackets or the standard robo brackets

They look like the new brackets

That is a really nice looking bike you have there, love the saddle bags and top box is that a standard honda top box?

Very nice? I am sure it is a lot of fun and is very smooth now.

Hello, Its the new bracket they have come out with, and it works. I dont have buffetting, I can hear my bike, totally different beast than the Honda touring shield. Yep those are the honda bags and trunk. Really like them, super easy to take on and off to use as luggage. Yes they are exspensive, but thats probably why they are so nice.

I bought one of these (light tinted adventure) just to see what the fuss was. I wasn't impressed with the fit of the aluminum plate to the Honda mounting points and the shield needed a very slight curvature correction, but it is a solid assembly when finished. I'll give it some performance testing when I am able to ride again (about two weeks) and will likely either make a custom shield or order an undrilled sport shield from Mark and modify it to suit. I'll give it a chance to work like it is first. I may keep the adventure shield for cold weather and make a shortened summer shield out of a sport shield. I don't give a big rat's patooky what it looks like, but I don't find it objectionable (other than it makes me wish I had made my custom lower wind deflectors out of light tinted acrylic instead of clear. I could match them by getting the replacement shield in clear, but I really like the light tint.

John boy, play with the angle, The 60 degree angle they suggest really does work best for me , I tried laying it back to look a little better but air flow was ended up right in my face.
Beemerphile I know what you mean about brackets I was about ready to elongate my holes or try to recurve windshield, I ended up putting a squeeze on robo brackets now windshield screws go right in. I am going to drill some new holes so I can lower shield. The bottom of shield will be even with plate, I think I will still be in pocket.

I bought one of these (light tinted adventure) just to see what the fuss was. I wasn't impressed with the fit of the aluminum plate to the Honda mounting points and the shield needed a very slight curvature correction, but it is a solid assembly when finished. I'll give it some performance testing when I am able to ride again (about two weeks) and will likely either make a custom shield or order an undrilled sport shield from Mark and modify it to suit. I'll give it a chance to work like it is first. I may keep the adventure shield for cold weather and make a shortened summer shield out of a sport shield. I don't give a big rat's patooky what it looks like, but I don't find it objectionable (other than it makes me wish I had made my custom lower wind deflectors out of light tinted acrylic instead of clear. I could match them by getting the replacement shield in clear, but I really like the light tint.

Did you use the OEM bolts? I noticed a slight misfit too, but the rubber grommets accommodated it with ease. The nut plates would probably be more difficult.

Did you use the OEM bolts? I noticed a slight misfit too, but the rubber grommets accommodated it with ease. The nut plates would probably be more difficult.

Just FYI: Changed out the rubber well nuts out for Dale's plates just last week and the holes in the aluminum mounting plate aligned perfectly using the OEM bolts. Must be a QC issue.

Last edited:

I've been waiting for one of you "legacy" NC700 forum guys to get a Madstad and am looking forward to your review. Fairly confident it'll work great for you, but there's always a nagging feeling that you might be leading someone astray....

I used Dale's nut plates. The lack of fit was not bolt hole alignment, it was the lack of face to face fit of the plate to the plane of the honda mounting points. Maybe they were not meant to fit face to face, but that is what I was expecting.

I just bought my youngest boy a CRF80F. (Kind of broke!)
You guy's are making it very hard for me not to go ahead and get one of these!

Come on dude, I KNOW you've seen Lee's profession of LOVE for his ugly Madstad by now. It's ONLY money. It'll be funny if "frozenpoet" ever goes for one as he was pretty adamant about it's fugliness at the beginning of this thread. All kidding aside, if you need a new windshield you should try one of these.

Come on dude, I KNOW you've seen Lee's profession of LOVE for his ugly Madstad by now. It's ONLY money. It'll be funny if "frozenpoet" ever goes for one as he was pretty adamant about it's fugliness at the beginning of this thread. All kidding aside, if you need a new windshield you should try one of these.

This will be my next shield for sure. I will have one on my bike soon.

This will be my next shield for sure. I will have one on my bike soon.

The beauty of the MadStad set up, is even if you don't care for the windshield (or it gets swapped for a bigger/smaller size, whatever) you still have the adjustability of the robo bracket thingies, right?

No matter how well any other brands may work for each individual, they still are static things that don't offer the freedom to raise or lower or adjust the angle of attack, to any meaningful degree. This would be make or break for me and a windshield purchase.

The beauty of the MadStad set up, is even if you don't care for the windshield (or it gets swapped for a bigger/smaller size, whatever) you still have the adjustability of the robo bracket thingies, right?

No matter how well any other brands may work for each individual, they still are static things that don't offer the freedom to raise or lower or adjust the angle of attack, to any meaningful degree. This would be make or break for me and a windshield purchase.

I honestly think the biggest single factor is the "dual" airflow system created by the plate and windshield. The bracket adjustment seems to be less important than the distance it makes between the two surfaces.

Today I ordered a Madstad. I called Mark and after our chat, I ordered a 22'' sport sd. I was debating between the light and medium grey and ordered the medium.
I thought it would help my dash last longer from sun deterioration. Hope its not too dark.

So everyone knows, Madstad has made a set of mounting plates like Dale has produced and ships them out now. They even phoned me to verify my mailing address two months after my purchase to send them to me. No cost, no problems. Showed up in the mail the other day. They are saying it was due to the failure of the HONDA OEM parts.

Just for the record, I have a Madstad as well. I have the 20" Sport SD clear, drilled 1.5 inches higher than "stock" so the bottom edge of the shield sets lower for aesthetic reasons. So it's in a sense, an 18.5 inch shield as for as the upper edge is concerned. I got it blank and drilled it myself. At the lowest setting it's about chin/mouth height, and at the highest setting I look through it but can look over it. I'm 5' 8", BTW.

I love it. The adjustability is so cool.

Mine came with the nutplates. It also came with a lot of extra screws and washers. The instructions are OK, but they could stand to be a bit more detailed specific to the NC application.

On thing I need to do is go back and reinstall the OEM plastic inserts in the mount holes. I left mine off and just used the rubber washers, but the Madstad mount plate contacts the plastic fairing at the bottom point, and I don't want it to wear there from vibration.

Greg

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the site and forums in general. I bought my standard nc700x in March and am using it for a commuter. I'm considering a Madstad windshield system, and am hoping to see what you all are experiencing in terms of rain protection as well as reduction in buffeting. I can live with the looks and price as long as it works. The stock screen in the upper position is ok, but not great; and when I have my daughter on the back; at anything over 50mph, we both become 'bobbleheads' from the windblast. I'm in the Portland area and see the full gauntlet of riding weather. I'm thinking of ordering the sd style Madstad or maybe a Puig, and fitting mx style hand guards as well, instead of heated grips. Opinions?

Thanks,
Hap

Last edited:
Mine should arrive on 7/9. I will give a report on it after a good test. From all the material I have read about it, I'm sure it will be a winner. (After I get it set up for me.)

Back