• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Loud Clunk shift from Neutral

I'm a complete wierdo. I've always loved the CLUNK! when popping down into first from neutral. I'd be all suspicious and frowny if I ever owned a motorcyle that didn't loudly *crunch* and rumble the bike a bit going into first, lol.

I find it a satisfying and trustworthy additional confirmation that I am indeed, in 1st gear, versus 2nd or god forbid 3rd, and less likely to kill me, when I don't get the acceleration I was expecting to, when calling down to the boiler room for more coal from a dead stop.

I posted this over on the General section before noting this thread.. Here's a copy of my post.

I've felt quite a clunk when shifting into first. The condition has been mentioned on the forum several times. The symptom reminds me of a motorcycle with the clutch out of adjustment. I adjusted the clutch, but the "clunk" still happens. The other day, I started the bike, then went in and put on my jacket, helmet, glasses and gloves. I got on the bike some 4 minutes later and shifted into first. No clunk !. Actually, the bike shifted very smoothly for the first half of the ride. I assume that the clutch or transmission is getting oiled up better during the warm up, vs, just riding off cold.

I assume that the clutch was made heavy duty to deal with the NC's higher torque. Perhaps this is why the clutch is sticky after being parked.

I'm reminded of the old Nortons that had a strict starting routine, that included shifting into first, pulling in the clutch and rolling the bike to "break" the clutch free. This occurred prior to starting the engine. I tried this with the NC and could feel the clutch binding, then breaking free when rolled forward.

Other than warming the engine, or breaking the clutch free prior to start, I don't see a way around this condition. Too bad because the tranny is a nice one.

Sometimes just moving you shift lever as single spline on the shaft does make a difference. I moved mine up just one spline and now feels like butter, but a little bit longer throw.

I pulled into a garage sale in the neighborhood the other day and a gentleman immediately approached me and started looking over the bike - he hadn't seen an NC700 close up and was interested. Skip, as he turned out to be named, is a former racer, owned a dealership, is a Honda master tech, etc. His comment was - "I knew you were riding a Honda before I saw the bike. I could hear that transmission clunk from a block away."

BTW - if anyone needs a deal on racing parts, Skip is still wholesaling and is willing to work with individuals. Just let me know and I'll PM you his info.

My Suzuki Boulevard clunks, my BMW G650gs clunked (louder than the NC700), my KLX250sf clunks, my gz250 clunked when I still had it; normal.

This is what you call.......................?

beating-a-dead-horse-2-300x226.jpg

Was that a thud or clunk when it the ground?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I checked my chain at 400 miles and found that it was tight. I loosened it to about 1" slack in the center. I was surprised at how much better the bike shifted afterwards.

On another matter, I was disappointed to find the chain had stretched a bit. As I turn the rear wheel, the chain tightens, loosens, tightens etc etc... )-:

Clean and relube the chain. This will get all the stiff links to loosen up for proper adjustment . Check the clutch lever free play , adjust accordingly.

Back