• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Loud Clunk shift from Neutral

Vandis before going back to the dealer try changing the oil yourself. Have you checked the proper oil level?

Also I've found that some of the high performance synthetics don't actually improve the shift feel as much as a good diesel oil does. I've tried Amsoil and Motul before in other bikes and they still couldn't beat Rotella. Right now I'm running Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage and the shifting is smooth as can be. Also it's a good idea to lube the shift linkage as that can have an effect on perceived shift feel.

... my bike jumps slightly while putting it into 1st gear ...

Again, it depends on what you mean by "jumps". Most bikes will have an audible sound when slipping into 1st gear. Sometimes the chain even jerks a little bit. But if your whole bike is jumping that is a different story. To me that indicates that the clutch is not releasing fully and it is not normal. If you put it in 1st gear and hold the clutch in, does the bike try to creep forward? Is it harder to push backwards than it is in neutral? If so, your clutch is dragging. It could be that your oil is dirty or the wrong viscosity. Or it could be there is a mechanical problem causing the plates to stick. If the cable is adjusted properly, then somebody needs to look at the clutch.

This morning I started my NCX up cold in neutral as I always do. Instead of my usual method (pull the clutch and click it into 1st, I tried something someone else had posted here on the forum somewhere. I pulled in the clutch, then twisted the throttle quickly. Revved it up a bit, then let it slow down, then clicked it into gear. I was surprised because it went in so smoothly. No click at all. Apparently the drag on the clutch is reduced by doing this.

On the DCT model, there's a "thud" sound from neutral to drive, which is characteristic of HD, only softer. Quite like it :lol:

I have a 74 CB750 that does this. Nothing to worry about. It's a honda thing. My new NC does the exact same thing.

after 1000 miles it clunks same is it was at 10 miles. not better or worse.
holding the clutch for few seconds not making it smoother. after i start the bike in neutral and then shift into a first gear-not only it's loud,it feels like someone just kicked the bike.
it clunks exactly like the bike on this video

CBR Clunk into first gear - YouTube

my question to NC owners with manual transmission-everybody having this?
and second question-it is safe for transmission , if i start in first gear? no problems shifting up and down between gears. there was some at the very beginning(stuck in the gear sometimes or stuck in neutral and won't go into a first gear as you roll into a stop,but looks like it's all gone now.

Thank you!

holding the clutch for few seconds not making it smoother. after i start the bike in neutral and then shift into a first gear-not only it's loud,it feels like someone just kicked the bike.
it clunks exactly like the bike on this video

CBR Clunk into first gear - YouTube

and second question-it is safe for transmission , if i start in first gear? no problems shifting up and down between gears. there was some at the very beginning(stuck in the gear sometimes or stuck in neutral and won't go into a first gear as you roll into a stop,but looks like it's all gone now.

Thank you!

On all my manual bikes, I hold the brake and clutch, put the tranny in first gear, then hit the starter button. As soon as the engine is running I ride away. Haven't heard that clunk in many years. The only time I use neutral is to roll the bike around when the engine is off.

Starting in gear puts a little more load on the starter because it needs to spin against possibly stick clutch plates, but the starter can handle it. The transmission doesn't care one bit, and it thanks you for not banging it into first gear with a stiff clutch.

Greg

Last edited:
after 1000 miles it clunks same is it was at 10 miles.

Thank you!

Absolutely totally normal with no harm to any part on the bike..........using 670cc technique will stop the noise and the kick.........but the noise and kick is normal when shifting from neutral to any gear.

To totally avoid the clunk, while you are downshifting, go from second to first or neutral to first at 7 or 8 mph. At this speed the rear wheel is traveling at the same speed as the engine's idle speed. You may get a slight click but if done right it will simply fall into first.

Thank you!
I would check the adjustment of the clutch if your bike is a manual 6 speed transmission.
The clutch may not be completely disengaging. Just a thought.

if you mean the free play-it's right on spot.
cfar-no problems downshifting. you are correct-in order to get smooth click into 1st gear downshifting-your speed have to match the gear.

I'm sure I'll get bashed by a few simpletons for this - BUT, I've own many, many Honda's as well as being a parts and tech support guy for 20+ years - if you want the clunk to go away, next oil change use Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w40. It's for diesels so it doesn't contain any of the additives that will destroy your bike. The clunk will go away and the already darn near perfect engine will out live you and it's next owner.

I'm sure I'll get bashed by a few simpletons for this - BUT, I've own many, many Honda's as well as being a parts and tech support guy for 20+ years - if you want the clunk to go away, next oil change use Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w40. It's for diesels so it doesn't contain any of the additives that will destroy your bike. The clunk will go away and the already darn near perfect engine will out live you and it's next owner.

I won't bash you CNO, but I will say that no matter what oil you choose the clunk will still be there.

OP: As I said, it is a honda thing and there is nothing to worry about. I have owned my 74 CB750 with that clunk for 8 years, no issues. In my 2nd to last video on my youtube channel, you will hear the clunk. My new NC has done this since day 1, and it is totally normal.

A couple people have mentioned the solution to this problem: pull the clutch lever in and blip the throttle before engaging first gear. This frees up the clutch plates that are sticking a little and reduces or stops the clunk. Some bikes are worse than others, but this is normal for wet clutch bikes (at least all the ones I've owned or ridden).

I'm sure I'll get bashed by a few simpletons for this - BUT, I've own many, many Honda's as well as being a parts and tech support guy for 20+ years - if you want the clunk to go away, next oil change use synthetic oil.
I agree with the synthetic oil recommendation. Used it in my 2 V-Stroms, Versys, and in my NC. Made shifting easier and quieter.

If it's any consolation I heard the same 'clunk' on a big ol' Star touring bike this past weekend, so it's not just Hondas. My old Suzuki does it too, but not quite as pronounced. But I also use Rotella oil in it.

I won't bash you CNO, but I will say that no matter what oil you choose the clunk will still be there.

OP: As I said, it is a honda thing and there is nothing to worry about. I have owned my 74 CB750 with that clunk for 8 years, no issues. In my 2nd to last video on my youtube channel, you will hear the clunk. My new NC has done this since day 1, and it is totally normal.

sorry, been clunk free since the first oil change.

I do think this clunk thing is a matter of judgement, expectation and past experiences ............one person's huge "clunk" is another person's "click".

Also this is not a Honda thing but a motorcycle thing as every motorcycle has some sort of noise when shifted.

If one's expectation is low or no noise and one is trying to compare shifting noise on a motorcycle to shifting noise on a car transmission (manual or automatic) this could be a problem or error. Since they are completely different systems it is not a valid comparison and motorcycle will almost always be louder and more harsh...........although some cars clunk, most slip into gear.

Last edited:
Heh.. I call shenanigans.

Simply changing your oil type will not cure this issue. You would need to physically re-design the clutch basket. The clack or clunk you are feeling from a cold start is "parasitic friction" from neutral to 1st gear. It's a combination of clutch plates separating, and chain slack being taken up (gearbox and output shaft). So unless you ripped your wet clutch assembly out and modified it, I doubt you have "eliminated 100%" the said issue by simply choosing 1 brand of oil.

When I say it's a Honda thing, it's not just a Honda thing. Any motorcycle with a wet clutch would be susceptible to this.

/endrant

Last edited:
Showkey hit the nail on the head- the sound is totally subjective.
Is it 'silent'? of course not. It just doesn't sound like you're dropping a pumpkin into a 55 gallon drum anymore.

Back