• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking at this or the CTX700

Ridealot

Reaction score
Visit site
As the title says, I am looking at getting the NC700 or the CTX. I had my mind on the CTX for awhile until I went to the dealer and told them what I was looking for. He pointed me towards the NC700. I like the way it looks and I love the storage options on it, one thing that I am not to sure about is the bike height, I am 5'-8" I could barely flat foot it, that is my biggest concern right now.

A little riding history, I have been riding a Buddy 125 scooter for the past 7 years and have put 30,000 miles on it, mainly commuting to work 22 miles each way to work. I am looking for something bigger to ride for comfort and to give me more options for getting home (highway riding) and possibly for day and weekend trips to other places. The dealer feels like this bike would do all of that. I am looking more at getting this then the CTX now

In my opinion flat footing is way overrated but then I am 5' 6" with a 29" inseam. I tippie toe any interesting bike. At 5' 8" you would have no problem handling the NC700X IMHO.

I use my NC for commuting. Thirteen miles on back roads and 17 miles on interstate in the Little Rock area. This bike is great for that purpose. The storage was key for me. I wear a big and bulky suit. I keep a couple extra sets of gloves, a balaclava, small tool set, map, bottle of water, and other odds and ends on the bike at all times. When I get to work I normally stuff all these items in the trunk and panniers. The frunk has the small stuff.

I can't comment on the CTX. It did not interest me so it was not a consideration.

By the way I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I do fine.

I took a test on the ctx just for fun.its ok as far as comfort.the 700x seems to handle better.the wind was pushing me around on the ctx.and its very low.the 700x can be lowered if you like it.

sent from a keyboard in the frunk

For a daily-use bike, the handiness of the built-in storage simply can not be overstated.

My wife has the CTX and have had the opportunity to ride hers some. It is a very comfortable seating position. It will touch pegs before the NCX does for sure. Wind protection stock on the CTX is not good but I added a windshield extension on hers and it fixed the major part of the issue. The CTX is geared differently than the NCX but they both handle well at 75 - 80 on the highway for long distance. I like the seat better on the CTX for sure but I like the handling of the NCX better. Plus, no Frunk on the CTX and no Honda trunk available yet.
Good luck on your decision though.

You guys are making this an easy decision to choose the NC700! Too bad I need to wait just a few weeks before I can actually purchase one!

You guys are making this an easy decision to choose the NC700! Too bad I need to wait just a few weeks before I can actually purchase one!

Well you came to the NC700 forum and asked for input. That's like walking into an ice cream parlor and asking everyone there if you should leave and get pie instead. Did you really think you would be steered away from the NCX here? ;)

Seriously though it seemed like your only major concern was the seat height and that appears to be a non-issue so good luck with your decision and hopefully you will be posting as a rider soon. But whatever you decide, enjoy! Any bike is better than no bike.

Tippy toe was an issue for me too but after riding a bit I don't mind it at all.
I just put one foot down instead of both. I am 5'10'.

I was mainly a dirt bike rider so the upright NC700x and BMW bikes appealed
to me. It all depends on your preference. Try each one out if you can.

The Buddy, if I understand correctly, is not a Barcalounger scooter with feet way out in front, but it is more feet forward than the NCX. Your seating preference may be a factor. Go to a dealer or bike show and sit on both and see what riding position feels more natural to you, since riding position is the greatest difference between the NCX and the CTX.

BTW, I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam and the stock NC700X is not too tall for me. I can flat foot it.

Greg

When I first saw the CTX on the Honda web page I thought if it had come out at the same time as the NCX I would've bought it. Then when I actually got to see and sit on one at the dealer I decided I would stick with my NC. I prefer the upright seating position on the NC, and I would dearly miss the frunk. I have lower back issues and the seating position on the CTX seemed like it would aggravate that on longer rides. My back has never bothered me on the NC. I'm 5'9" with a 29" inseam and the seat height is not a problem.

I am 5'7 with 30" inseam. I tippy toe on the NCX and I do just fine. You don't have to be flat footed to be secure on the bike. I also sat on the CTX at the dealership when it first came out. To be honest, with the footpegs so far forward, my feet can barely reach the pegs. My lower back didn't like the position too much either. YMMV.

If one travels long distance, my number one condition of a touring bike is that I must be able to stand on the pegs while moving. To be able to stand on the pegs sure does release the pressure on the tail bone. Yes, I know leg forward is comfortable for up to 250 miles, but after that give me pegs to stand up on. I have highway pegs on my engine guards for leg forward riding.

You may want to look at the Piaggio BV350 as an option. It is less of a step from a Buddy, but has large wheels and can cruise all day at 80+ mph. It's new engine has 33 hp and sends power to the back wheel using a CVT, automatic transmission. Brakes are controlled with hand levers like your Buddy. It also has a leg shield and platform, keeping your legs clean and out of the wind. It is also less expensive than either NCX or CTX, but requires a bit more maintenance.

The fact that you have to wait is a good thing. That gives you plenty of time to read as many threads on this forum as you can including the mechanical thread. It also gives you time to get pricing from as many dealers as you can even if they are from other states.
In addition it gives you time to order accessories that the dealer doesn't carry so that he can install them at time of delivery.

With a 28 inch inseam I can not hold up a stock NC. It's too heavy for me at that angle. I took some wood boards of different thicknesses to the dealer and experimented standing on them while seated on the bike. This allowed me to decide exactly how much lowering I needed to be able to support the bike. I ordered the parts online, gave them to the dealer and they were installed when I picked up the bike. Also once you start riding a tall bike you learn some tricks that help you support it when you stop. Good luck with your research.

you can buy lowering links and and adjustable side stand and lower the NC700x 1-2 inches without messing with the front end (I have a friend who has done his).

Back