• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Little issues with a brand new 2014 NC700X DCT ABS

e-mail sent to reseller this morning. I'll very soon have my 1000km service (first one) so it should be yet another occasion to mention it and hopefully to get it fixed. Not sure however that Honda has a fix for it already, all we can do is raise our voice to have this problem taken into account.

Any case, I'll keep you posted when I have some news (bad or good).

Have a nice day.
Arno

After careful observation, I too noticed that it was not resetting to 0, but rather it was forgetting whatever miles were added since the last trip. I included this in my conversation with the service manager of my dealership, and he included it in his submission to Honda.

1000km service (first one) scheduled on forthcoming saturday. I'll keep you posted on what the service manager says.

Hi,

Here's some news after the first service of my Integra 750: the service manager claims that Honda France is not aware of this odometer issue and I'm (supposedly) the first one to report it. I should now wait on them to get back to me in order to perform a replacement of the whole instrument board under warranty (at no cost).

Not very helpful I'm afraid, but that's where I am.

Regards,
Arno

Seems hard to believe that they have not heard of the issue. Has anyone with a 750 on this forum not had the problem with the resetting odometer? I know several have had the issue. Five to ten complaints to Honda of the exact same issue ought to raise a corporate wide flag. Caterpillar has what the call VOC (Voice of the customer). It is feedback form the dealers about issues they are having with machines. If we get two or three hits from a dealer on the exact same issues it sets off and entire chain of events to determine root cause which in turn will fix the issue. The only other plant the makes the same product is in Brazil. If we notice a problem here we collaborate with Brazil. I'd think Honda had something similar and there has to be several calls by now on this problem.

A chap on the UK forum has received a response from Honda UK acknowledging the Trip reset problems. They have approached the manufacturer of the clocks, so
hopefully there'll be some more info shortly.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised that headquarters 'never heard of the problem'. The bmw 2011-2012 g650gs had a hot start issue where the bike would have to sit for 20 or more minutes before it could be restarted. It took BMW months and hundreds of reports before they recognized the problem and issues a bulletin on it (still have not released a recall-just a warranty bulletin). Not all bikes had the issue and there was not a rhyme or reason for it. Some bikes did not have the problem while some did.

After careful observation, I too noticed that it was not resetting to 0, but rather it was forgetting whatever miles were added since the last trip. I included this in my conversation with the service manager of my dealership, and he included it in his submission to Honda.

I have reviewed the wiring diagrams in the Honda Shop Manual for both the Manual and DCT models. There is a "Velocity Speed (VS) Sensor" that is connected directly to the "Combination Meter" via a Pink/Green wire for Manual Trans Models. On the DCT, this wire also goes to the PCM (Power-train Control Module). There's also a TXD/RXD wire (Red/Blue), which transmits and receives data back and forth between the ECM or PCM to the Combination Meter. If data is lost or not received by either the ECM or PCM to the Combination Meter, it may revert to the previous data stored in it's system memory or that of in either the ECM or PCM. The data transfer is done via a Bi-directional Serial Data Line. That's where your problem might lie, the system is not fully "Hand Shaking" and exchanging the data properly.

Of course, this is S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess). However it makes the most sense to me.

How this system functions would be best understood by the engineer or team that developed it. Hence, time to have this issue elevated to directly to the factory. Any local Honda Delaer nor Honda Dealer Support Network will be able to assist with this issue.

My 750X is booked in for a new set of clocks/display/dash on the 17th of May, I've been told by my dealer that the new clocks will read zero and that there is no way the new clocks can have my mileage transfered onto it.

Obviously this will be fully documented in the service book but tbh I'm not too keen on going back to zero miles and then having to add 3,000 miles to the total in my head, and I'm also wondering if replacement clocks is the answer.

I don't think enough time has passed yet for Honda to have found a solution, I read that they have passed the reports of the trip meters back to the clocks manufacturers, is it possible that they may find a software fault which would allow the original clocks to be reprogrammed?

I don't want to go and jump the gun and replace my clocks and go back to zero miles to later find out it was not necessary.

I'd like the opinion of you guys before I raise the question with my dealer, so.......

What d'ya think?

In theory if they find a solution to reprogram could they not also add the 3,000 miles to the odometer? I'm not sure if that is even legal...which means I'm not sure just replacing the odometer with a new one is even kosher either. At least you're being honest and logging the 3,000 miles in the service logs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no doubt that the odometer changes are all above board, it'll be fully documented by Honda themselves.

The thing is, this is my first brand new bike and I'm keeping it for a long long time and I just want everything to be 'Right',
Having a different reading on the odometer to the actual mileage is not something that meets my criteria of being 'Right'.

Or is it something that'll I'll just have to live with? I dunno.:confused:

Your dealer is correct. For anti-tampering reasons it's impossible to alter an odometer.

It may be possible to hack it but I don't have any info about it...

There's no doubt that the odometer changes are all above board, it'll be fully documented by Honda themselves.

The thing is, this is my first brand new bike and I'm keeping it for a long long time and I just want everything to be 'Right',
Having a different reading on the odometer to the actual mileage is not something that meets my criteria of being 'Right'.

Or is it something that'll I'll just have to live with? I dunno.:confused:
I would wait. What's the rush - particularly if there's no guarantee new clocks will solve the problem.
Mike

Tough call. Depends on which alternative you find less irksome, I guess. Wonky tripmeters, or a difference of true/shown mileage. There may be no guarantee that the new replacement clocks don't hiccup and do the same thing...:eek:

Sucks that you have to make this choice though. :(

I would be very surprised if changing out the dash would correct the problem. Its not like a software problem that seems to happen on all 2014s is going to be caused by the instillation of the dash in the unit, and the unit was fine before it was put in. If the 2014 dash has a software problem, a new 2014 dash will have the same problem, until Honda corrects it.

Still no news from my dealership. :(

Thanks for the replies guys, I think having a bit of patience is the answer here.

I've emailed my dealer outlining the situation, I've also sent them a link to this thread.

At this stage of the problem, there is more info on here, from real owners, than there is coming from Honda.

I'm sure it's just a case of waiting for the info to get up the chain of command before we see any kind of definite remedy.

I'm gonna sit tight for now.

Let's hope so for your sake mate, are you sure they aren't deducting 10 miles or so as opposed to a reset to zero?
Not that I'm aware of yet anyway. I've noticed the odd machine resets a trip, but not both trips. At the moment I have both trips set 19 miles apart and nothing has changed so far. I'm watching mileage of the trip, but Ihavent gone so far as to write it down everytime I stop.

Hi,

I have had several resets since I got my NC750X in April. It resets always before I crank the engine, start the bike: I can see the zero to appear when the meter turns on. So I was first thinking it may reset the trip in power up, perhaps connected to the right button somehow. So I turned the ignition on holding the right button (reset button) down. This time I saw the numbers flick before the display was zeroed. So not related to the switch and boot up. Also somebody observed a problem of forgotten last distance instead of resetting to zero. So clearly the problem happens already when turning the ignition off! Like suggested the writing sequence may not succeed. I agree this. Then I started thinking why? I don’t think this kind of problem should come through Honda's design process easily. What has changed?

In my case I have installed ETC traffic control device and USB power outlet. And thinking of it, I don’t remember having the reset problem during first weeks before installing those. Also, I noticed the reset problem in a NC750S rent bike I had for a weekend before buying my own X, it also had ETC device and some other accessories.
It is possible that in my bike, after installing the accessories the voltage disappears faster than before, and if power disappears faster than in factory set up, it might be the reason the writing the mileage to the trip fails.
Do you think the missing design margin like this could be the reason?
Has anybody else installed extra electric devices?

I think I will try to add some capacitor in the line that goes from ignition switch to the meter panel, to give some more time for the system to write the memory. It shouldn't invalidate the warrantee neither, just another accessory:)

- Matti

Last edited:
Back