• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Little issues with a brand new 2014 NC700X DCT ABS

It also wouldn't hurt to make absolutely sure the negative battery cable is properly tightened. A sometimes/sometimes not connection can do weird things. The clock and other stuff can remain unaffected by a super brief disconnect, yet other things can reset.

My 750 has also reset the B trip once, within the first few hundred miles as I recall, is I hadn't really got to grips with the trip odometers at that point I thought maybe I'd done I'd inadvertently.

It's not done it since but I'll be keeping an eye on it now.

Ain't forums great! :)

Unfortunately it looks that the reset issue is more common than just an isolated case. I expect to collect my new NC750x by end of next week and I'm just hopping not to have same symptoms, otherwise I'll be freaking out!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

I went out yesterday, my B trip said 20 miles, which was correct as I'd reset it myself 20 miles ago at a fuel stop last Sunday.

I did about 10 miles and stopped, turned off ignition, no probs on start up, B trip had not reset it self.

My next stop had the B trip showing 48 miles, correct.
On start up it showed 19.7! It hadn't reset to 0!

I did about 230 miles in total yesterday and the B trip did not reset itself again.

I reset it at a fuel stop.

Once I got home I emailed my dealer outlining the problem, I'll post the reply when I get it.

Also, I have a slight bit of moisture on the inside of the dash glass, I bought this to the dealers attention too.

Anyone else had this problem? It's only very slight, but annoying and unbecoming for a brand new bike, especially a Honda.:(

yeah the condensation in the instruments is a common problem. My dealer said all 4 NCs that he had parked outside on a cold but sunny day had the problem. Hinda were going to replace the instruments on my 700 but in the end I just lived with it. My new 750 is the same
Mike
PS Haven't had the reset problem for a while now

When my bike was in for service I had them look at the resetting trip odometer issue, and the mechanic said he contacted honda and got no help from them, and was unable to recreate the issue (though in my experience, to reliable get it to happen one would need to ride for nearly a full tank of gas...). Resetting still seems to be happening, and as noted in a post above, I just noticed it is not even just resetting to 0. Other day I checked trip A at the start of a trip, and it was at 120 miles. Got where I was going, about 15 miles away, and it was at 114.7 wtf?!

Hopefully someone has some luck getting this sorted out soon so I can point my dealer at this thread :p

Just wrote a nice long (but friendly of course) email to the service manager of my dealership, to see if any new information has become available. I linked him to this thread so he can see that others are having the same issue. Hopefully we can get this issue sorted out! :)

Here is my email:
Hey Louis,

When I had my NC700X in for it's first service, I had them try to track down an issue I was having: My trip A, trip B, Avg MPG, and gallons used gauges reset whenever they feel like it, and the trip meters sometimes roll back, as opposed to just resetting to 0.

The mechanic that worked on my bike said he was unable to recreate the issue, which I did not expect him to, since it does it about once per tank of gas. He also said he contacted Honda, and checked their knowledge base to no avail.

I am a member of a forum of NC700X riders, and have been discussing the issue with them, and it seems that it is only an issue on the 2014 NC700X, and 2014 NC750X (not avail in the US), and there are about 5 of us that have reported suffering from the same issue via the thread about it. None of the riders with bikes from previous years experience the issue, but then they have slightly different gauges then the 2014s

Here is a link to the forum thread (http://nc700-forum.com/forum/garage...tle-issues-brand-new-2014-nc700x-dct-abs.html).

The initial post was made before my bike went in for service, and all issues were fixed except the trip meter reset issue. Going to the last page of the thread will of course lead you to the most recent portion of the discussion.

Let me know if you guys have found anything out from Honda, or feel free to contact me at this email, or at PHONE NUMBER REMOVED if needed.

Thanks,
Adrian

And the first reply from the service manager, Louis:

Hi Adrian!

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the NC, it's a great machine! Our Honda guru, Rob Brown, advised that Honda has not identified any issues with the trip-meter. I got on line and found a few folks with similar issue, some were resolved on their own, others were not using the trip-meter correctly, and some were still experiencing issues.

We would need to document this failure in real time, this becomes tricky with intermittent conditions. Please feel free to bring the bike in anytime, if you're out riding, on your way home, or in the neighborhood when this issue presents itself. I would love to photo document the condition and present it to Honda. Please let me know your thoughts and if there is anything else I may do to be of further assistance. I hope this message finds you well and will look forward to speaking with you soon.

Best regards,
Louis

And my subsequent reply:
Thanks for the quick reply Louis.

I will start leaving my dash set to display the trip meter so I can try and get you a photo of the mileage displayed before and after a reset/roll back. At least then the time stamp on the photos will confirm it is happening. If I had a video camera I would ride around with it pointed at the dash for you, but alas I do not.

My bike seems to reliably exhibit the problem about once per tank of gas, so it may take me a couple of days to be able to get a picture of a before/after reset.

If it would help, I am willing to drop my bike off and let one of you guys ride it around for a tank of gas to witness it yourselves, provided you don't break my baby, and have a loaner I can borrow.

The trip meter issue aside, I absolutely love my NC, and am very happy with my purchase. Best bike I have ever owned :)

Adrian

More to come I am sure.

I started a thread on this, I should've posted on this thread instead, anyway, here's what I posted.

You may remember that I emailed my dealer about the dash glass having moisture on the inside of it and the fact that the B trip resets itself randomly, not just my 2014 model neither apparently.

Well first off, the dash glass has curd itself now the weather has warmed up, so no bother there.

That damned B trip though! It reset itself yesterday and when I put it away last night it said 103.1 miles, this morning it read 93.1! And then when I got the dealers it had taken another 10 miles off!

My dealer says it's unlikely to be a software glitch, I did inform him that other 2014 models are doing the same.

Anyway, a new dash is going to be ordered and mine replaced.

Watch this space.

Update, with evidence!
But first, another reply from Louis:
Sounds great!

Pictures would be a great addition to my case. I'd prefer you ride the bike, as you are able to replicate the condition with some regularity. Please keep me posted and I will do my best to get this matter resolved. I will look forward to speaking with you very soon!

Best,
Louis

And now the pay dirt, and evidence. Follow my Panoramio links to see pictures with time and geotags of my trip meter rolling back to the last time the bike was turned on!
Good? news! hah.

I managed to get pictures, and better yet, I have a clue why it might be happening...

So since you said you wanted to photo document the problem, I have been taking a picture of my trip odometer at the start of every trip, and monitoring it while riding. Today on my ride home from class when I got on the bike, my trip A and trip B both read 98.4, then I rode about 15 miles, during which time the trip meter ticked away miles correctly. After a quick stop for lunch, when I got back on the bike, lo and behold, it read 98.4 miles AGAIN! :)

Luckily for us, you can see the clock in the picture, which shows about an hour has passed, and my photos include geotags, which I will extract for you, as well as leave them in the images.

Here is image one, when I left school:
Panoramio - Untitled photo
On the right side of the page, you will see panoramio is nice enough to read and present the geotag data.

Here is image two, when I left from getting lunch near my house, about 15 miles from the first photo.
Panoramio - Untitled photo

So it would seem that after being turned off, the bike if forgetting whole trips. I don't pretend to know how Honda has this dash set up, but I would imagine that it uses some sort of RAM/ROM to store the trip data on while the bike is powered off. My best guess for a cause of this issue would be a write failure when the bike is turned off, resulting in the next start up reading the last time the trip meter was written to ROM/RAM.

Hope this will help in getting Honda to take a look at this :)

Let me know if there is anything else I can do,
Adrian

Last edited:
Brilliant detective work Adrian. Let's hope Honda take it seriously. Do you by any chance use the run/kill switch to switch off the bike - I know some Versys owners used to do that. Just wondering why it should be resetting so regularly on your bike whereas for the rest of us it's more like once every 4 or 5 tankfuls.
Mike

I had considered that as a next step in testing, but in reverse: I *never* use my kill switch. I always use the key.

I think I have used the kill switch once, to make sure it worked :p
Odd, as I have always used the kill switch on every other bike I have had, but the key is so easy to reach on the NC, so I just use that.

(posted from France/Europe)

Hi everyone. My first post on this forum. I must say it's kind of a relief to see I'm not the only one with an odometer bug.

So let me just add my own experience on top of what has been said here. I have a brand new Integra 750 (2014 model), just having 540km run.
I'm running into the exact same issue with the odometer trip A or B reset. though it's not exactly a reset per say, it's more like it is randomly removing 20 or 30 kms from the odometer. It did it again just this morning.

This is a nightnare as I highly rely on this to know where I am on my fuel consumption and well... I just expect it to work properly !

I'll contact my resellet and let you guys know the outcome.
Arno

Thanks for chiming in Arno, and welcome to the forum! Sorry it had to be because of a technical issue on a brand new bike :(

I will be keeping the thread updated if my dealership manages to get any help from Honda. The service manager there has turned in a report, including my information and photos above. I will email him again and make sure he adds the 2014 Integras to the list, which I should have thought of, since the engine and frame are exactly the same as ours, it makes sense that the dash is the same, and has the same problem.

If you hear anything from yours please keep us posted.

Not sure whether this thread contains all the info on the similar thread on the English forum, but just so's you know. One of the guys in the UK has identified that it's not necessarily resetting to zero - rather it's failing to register the last trip - of course if the last trip is the only trip since you reset the A meter, then it will go back to zero. But this theory explains Arno's observation. Also another guy has discovered that there are at least 4 other Honda models that have this problem ongoing (including the Honda Fury, Shadow, VTX and XRV.
Mike

Back