• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

It's home! My Purchase Price and First Ride Impressions!

rexbaum

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I am considering the purchase of a car or motorcycle, I typically look through forums to gauge quality and overall customer satisfaction. I am going to post a brief update on my new purchase in hopes that it benefits someone who is considering this motorcycle.

As always, working with the sales staff when buying a motorcycle (or car for that matter) is like a game of chess. Obviously the dealer is going to position themselves to make money on every sale and that is understandable. We went back and forth several times and I eventually stated that this dealership was the first one I attempted to work a deal and that I would likely be best suited to try one of the other three in the St Louis area; now things became a little easier...

Bottom line, I paid $7399 for the NC700X (out the door) and got a $500 gift card to use toward accessories. At this point I am very pleased and I am certain they are going to keep the lights on for another day. You know the ole saying, given an inch, try for a mile. I then asked that I be given a discount on accessories that I purchased with the gift card. "We can do that!" I got a "We owe" voucher for a 15% discount on accessories!! :cool: To top it all off, while they finished getting the bike ready for me and I was working with the parts department ordering my case and rack, the salesman asked if I wanted a coffee, soda or beer. BEER? Yes, I would love a beer!

I ordered the top rack and top case for a grand total of $410 and have $90 left on the card to use toward something else from the dealer. Yesterday, I ordered from a website, the Puig Touring Windshield (light smoke).

I was ready to leave and mounted the new NC700X for my first ride on it. It was a balmy 33 degrees and I had about 7 miles to get home. Never did I feel the cold! :D I pulled out of the driveway and shifted to second and a few seconds later, third. Now before I say this, please keep in mind I have owned a motorcycle every day of my life since the age of 15! That is a total of 38 years! I have never been on a motorcycle that shifted so silky smooth; it's like a high end car with a silky smooth 6 speed manual transmission! EXTREMELY IMPRESSED!!

I had to take it somewhat easy because the Metzler tires are known to be pretty slick until scuffed up a little, but I could tell from the somewhat gentle turns and lane changes, this bike handles unlike any I have been on! That is two back to back surprises for me! I was thinking to myself, "What else is there?" After the first two miles and I began to relax a little in the seat of this unfamiliar bike, I noticed the deep rumble from the motor through the stock pipe. NICE! That is three! I am 6'2" and weigh exactly 205. This bike fits me like it was built for me! FOUR!

I got her home, pulled into my garage and proceeded to get to know her intimately (not really....you know what I mean). I have only one thing that I wish that had been done differently. I wish the gas cap was on a hinge that flipped open. It is only a matter of time before I drive away from the pump without it! :( Everything else about this amazing machine is pure Honda! Fantastic fit and finish from one end to the other. I have owned many Honda motorcycles and this one tops them all!

Now I hope the ground-hog knows what he is talking about and spring is closer than normal. Waiting for the weather to get in the 40+ degrees is going to kill me!

:p

Fantastic! Glad to hear that your as enamored with your NCX as the rest of us.

It really is a wonderful bike, I think you'll grow to love it even more with every ride.

Glad to hear you're happy with the bike. However, beer and bikes don't mix.

Hi rexbaum - very nice post, I enjoyed reading. I sat on nc700x for first time today at dealer. It fit me very nicely. In the "game of chess" you had with the dealer, can you explain the opening moves, and how you reached your very nice deal in a little more detail. I've never been a good haggler, but clearly you are, so any tips or just some more info on the back and forth would be very interesting to me.

Thanks, and congrats on your new bike!!
Rob

Imagine a salesman offering you beer here! Takes them all their time to give you a cuppa tea, most of them wouldn't give you the steam off their piss on a cold winters day for nothing as we say in Scotland.

I too tried the line of why should I buy a new bike from you rather than another dealer and it worked quite well. I got £400 of the bike price plus 10% of top box, panniers and side stand along with 10% of new bike gear for myself and my wife. I'd had a seven year break from bikes after owning one for 30 years and quite how my leather jacket had shrunk I'm not sure :) besides the new gear has armour and the clothes that although I could still wear them from the 70s were basic.
My advice to anyone buying new and I'm not a haggler is ask for as much as you want equipment wise at the worst they'll say no and all you've lost is a few minutes of your time. I'm also a bit taken aback about only finding out how it rides after buying it. I'd suggest a few weekends taking test rides. I did this on the S the basic X and the X with the higher Honda screen. My last test ride was 5 hours and they were a bit worried but pleased to see me when I returned. It was a lovely warm day and convinced me to buy the bike.

All the best with the new bike

well done on your deal I to took a test ride and like you it tick all the box's.
the one I tested was a DCT model and they had no geared model for demo accept in April so its a matter of waiting game.
I doubt my dealer will do a deal like yours ,I might be lucky and they give me an ice cream!!

Welcome to the forum and that's a great writeup.
As I said somewhere else in this forum, I am still grinning whenever I see my bike (in garage) and whenever I read something like this.
:D

Glad to hear you're happy with the bike. However, beer and bikes don't mix.

Are you serious? A BEER!

Alcohol is metabolized by the liver, where enzymes break down the alcohol. Understanding the rate of metabolism is critical to understanding the effects of alcohol. In general, the liver can process one ounce of liquor (or one standard drink) in one hour.

Big-Beer.jpg

Last edited:
Hi rexbaum - very nice post, I enjoyed reading. I sat on nc700x for first time today at dealer. It fit me very nicely. In the "game of chess" you had with the dealer, can you explain the opening moves, and how you reached your very nice deal in a little more detail. I've never been a good haggler, but clearly you are, so any tips or just some more info on the back and forth would be very interesting to me.

Thanks, and congrats on your new bike!!
Rob

"Bo7o"

I don't know if I am any better at getting a good deal than the average guy, but I can tell you that I have been a policeman for 25 years and I do have a strong ability to negotiate. My history of negotiating isn't over a financial transaction, but a behavior; in this case I was I was merely trying to get the sales staff to meet me in a respectable place. Having said that, I suspect that the manufacturer is giving incentives to the dealers to move (introduce) this bike to the consumer base. When was the last time you saw a television commercial for the NC700X? I haven't seen one, so there is only one way to push this bike and that is to get them on the street. A good friend of mine that I spoke with several times prior to my purchase has a prediction. He believes that within two model years the price of the bike goes up marginally. I can see this happening because with this current model year (2012), you get a huge amount of bike for the money. We won't go into the cost savings of gas......

Now for the basics to answer your question. I read on a few forums that the dealer pays about $6300 per bike. I have not been able to find information to support that figure, but it sounds about right. I used that figure while attempting to get close to the MSRP ($6999). We were far from that when we got with literally a few dollars when the salesman explained the various fees (Destination, Set-up, Admin) which totaled just over $900. At this point I told them that I had optional dealers that I hadn't approached and made them my solid offer. I would split the cost of their fees (to a degree) and listed the price of the bike at $7399. Then we discussed the gift card. I am sure the mark-up margin on accessories is far greater than on the bike. This enabled them to capture a few extra dollars by giving me a dealer specific gift card. We were both happy.

Know your optional locations to shop, remember what I believe is a somewhat accurate number of $6300 and talk with them with confidence. I don't believe that car and motorcycle sales people are sleazy, I just look at them as business representatives that are trying to make their business a profitable one.

I hope I helped. Good luck!

Are you serious? A BEER!

Alcohol is metabolized by the liver, where enzymes break down the alcohol. Understanding the rate of metabolism is critical to understanding the effects of alcohol. In general, the liver can process one ounce of liquor (or one standard drink) in one hour.

View attachment 2734

SeaBee,

How right you are! For crying out loud, I'm talking about a single 12 oz. can of 4.2 percent beer. I am a responsible grown man. I wasn't doing beer bong shots! Funny! :cool:

Last edited:
When I am considering the purchase of a car or motorcycle, I typically look through forums to gauge quality and overall customer satisfaction. I am going to post a brief update on my new purchase in hopes that it benefits someone who is considering this motorcycle.

As always, working with the sales staff when buying a motorcycle (or car for that matter) is like a game of chess. Obviously the dealer is going to position themselves to make money on every sale and that is understandable. We went back and forth several times and I eventually stated that this dealership was the first one I attempted to work a deal and that I would likely be best suited to try one of the other three in the St Louis area; now things became a little easier...

Bottom line, I paid $7399 for the NC700X (out the door) and got a $500 gift card to use toward accessories. At this point I am very pleased and I am certain they are going to keep the lights on for another day. You know the ole saying, given an inch, try for a mile. I then asked that I be given a discount on accessories that I purchased with the gift card. "We can do that!" I got a "We owe" voucher for a 15% discount on accessories!! :cool: To top it all off, while they finished getting the bike ready for me and I was working with the parts department ordering my case and rack, the salesman asked if I wanted a coffee, soda or beer. BEER? Yes, I would love a beer!

I ordered the top rack and top case for a grand total of $410 and have $90 left on the card to use toward something else from the dealer. Yesterday, I ordered from a website, the Puig Touring Windshield (light smoke).

I was ready to leave and mounted the new NC700X for my first ride on it. It was a balmy 33 degrees and I had about 7 miles to get home. Never did I feel the cold! :D I pulled out of the driveway and shifted to second and a few seconds later, third. Now before I say this, please keep in mind I have owned a motorcycle every day of my life since the age of 15! That is a total of 38 years! I have never been on a motorcycle that shifted so silky smooth; it's like a high end car with a silky smooth 6 speed manual transmission! EXTREMELY IMPRESSED!!

I had to take it somewhat easy because the Metzler tires are known to be pretty slick until scuffed up a little, but I could tell from the somewhat gentle turns and lane changes, this bike handles unlike any I have been on! That is two back to back surprises for me! I was thinking to myself, "What else is there?" After the first two miles and I began to relax a little in the seat of this unfamiliar bike, I noticed the deep rumble from the motor through the stock pipe. NICE! That is three! I am 6'2" and weigh exactly 205. This bike fits me like it was built for me! FOUR!

I got her home, pulled into my garage and proceeded to get to know her intimately (not really....you know what I mean). I have only one thing that I wish that had been done differently. I wish the gas cap was on a hinge that flipped open. It is only a matter of time before I drive away from the pump without it! :( Everything else about this amazing machine is pure Honda! Fantastic fit and finish from one end to the other. I have owned many Honda motorcycles and this one tops them all!

Now I hope the ground-hog knows what he is talking about and spring is closer than normal. Waiting for the weather to get in the 40+ degrees is going to kill me!

:p

Thanks for sharing your story and great job on the deal of the year!

Update - Second Ride:

Had a chance to put another 80 miles on the bike yesterday, that is 80 cold miles. The bike still showed a full tank from the dealer fillup when I pulled out. After the 80 mile ride, I dropped one bar. Very pleased!

One thing I noted was the stock seat tends to move me forward toward the tank while riding. I also could tell that a long trip might become painful! I checked Corbin's website and saw that they already have a seat for the NCX. I have owned numerous Corbin Seats and have always been exceptionally pleased with the build quality and comfort. That will be my next order; I could never make it to Colorado without one!

Roll on acceleration on the highway was suitable however a downshift is needed to move quickly. This is a non-issue for me because I remain extremely impressed with the butter smooth transmission! Honda was spot on with this engineering accomplishment! Very nice!

One funny thing to mention... I met a buddy of mine for lunch (he rides a HD Ultra). When we got to our lunch destination, I opened the storage compartment (where the gas tank is normally located), and his facial expression was priceless! He said "WTF is that?" When he walked over and saw the storage area, "That is cool as hell! Where the hell do you put the gas?" Funny. :eek:

Back