• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

purchase an extended warranty or not?

zaki-herz

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally, after 5 months of waiting, my 2024 NC750X arrived at the dealership yesterday and I paid fully for it today, dealership suggested additional 4 year limited warranty for $720 Q: is advisable to purchase this warranty for a presumably reliable bike, or this is a good insurance for possible major failure? Your though is appreciated.

As you correctly state, a reliable bike. I have have no issue with my 6yo NC neither have my various BMWs over the years had any issue that would have been dealt with by extended warranty.

I wouldn’t buy the warranty your dealer is trying to sell, but only you can decide

My opinion if you ride a ton of miles as in 20k a year or more it might not be such a bad idea. If you are a typical rider who rides 3K a year or less, it's a lot of money for a bike that will in all likelihood never have an issue in 5 years.

My 2021 bought in June of 21 will turn over 41,000 miles this week, maybe today if I take a long ride, and like most Hondas, it has been dead reliable so far. (knock on wood)

Dealership “suggested” an additional warranty because they make a lot of money off it. Since 2012, I have purchased 3 new motorcycles, 2 Honda, 1 Zero. None of them have even had a problem covered by their standard warranty. Keep your money and enjoy your reliable NC750X.

I would never consider any extended warranty “good insurance”.

I was debating the purchase of an extended warranty when I first purchased my 2023. I decided against because my wife and I don't ride all that much and based on the fact that I've never had warranty service on any of my motorcycles I felt if would be money wasted. I purchased accessories with that money.

I think you have up to one year from the date you take delivery of the bike to purchase the extended warranty. Did the dealer also recommend the prepaid
maintenance plan and credit life insurance? Those are big money makers too.

Finally, after 5 months of waiting, my 2024 NC750X arrived at the dealership yesterday and I paid fully for it today, dealership suggested additional 4 year limited warranty for $720 Q: is advisable to purchase this warranty for a presumably reliable bike, or this is a good insurance for possible major failure? Your though is appreciated.
My 1 year factory warranty for my 2023 DCT model expires in the middle of April and I took the plunge and got the Honda Care extended plan. I find it interesting that you were offered a 4 year warranty - because Honda offers up to 5 years. I wonder if the warranty the dealer is trying to sell you is from Honda or a third party. Honda will send you an offer in the mail in a few months and several more as you get closer to the end of your warranty. To go with the Honda warranty you have time - as long as your current warranty is valid you can extend it.

I have a buddy with a Goldwing and while he did not get the extended warranty for his machine he told me there was a dealer out there who offered a discount. Sure enough there is. Below I'll paste an email I got from Blue Ridge Powersports in VA (I have no relationship with them other than buying the warranty through them last week). Based on this you can get 5 years w/ roadside from Honda for less than your dealer is offering you for four (again - not sure if dealer is offering you Honda). My dealer has never approached me about extending my warranty and it blows my mind that other dealers apparently aren't competing on price....

In my one year (and it's a short season where I live - April to early Nov) I've ridden 7500 miles. The only issue I've had is occasionally the dct won't go into first after starting up and occasionally won't go into neutral when it's time to shut down. It has always resolved itself after turning the bike off, but I'm not the only one who had the issue, and there is a thread on here about that and it makes me nervous. I've had warranties for my 2 Yamahas bought new and never used it and many here dismiss them. The goal of all insurance companies is to not spend a dime on claims. Like me I'm sure many here spend thousands on vehicle and homeowner's insurance and never make a claim. Given the price I paid I'm comfortable going for it.

The 5 year Honda Protection Plan extended warranty including roadside assistance retails for $970.00 However I can offer it to you for the low price of $685.00. That breaks down to $625.00 for the service contract and $60.00 for roadside assistance (RSA). You have the option to purchase with or without roadside assistance .

4 year HPP - $605.00.00 / $455.00 for service contract / $50.00 RSA
3 year HPP - $545.00 / $500.00 for service contract / $45.00 RSA
2 year HPP - $490.00 / $455.00 for service contract / $35.00 RSA
1 year HPP - $445.00 / $420.00 for service contract / $25.00 RSA

This warranty offers the same protection as the original factory warranty and can be used at any Honda motorcycle dealership.This warranty will not start until your factory warranty expires.

• Nationwide coverage
  • No mileage or hour limitation
  • $0 dollar deductible
  • Transferable
Roadside assistance includes;
  • Emergency towing
  • Fuel delivery service
  • Locksmith assistance
  • Extrication assistance
  • 24/7 toll free number

170 bucks a year, presuming it extends your warranty to 5 years is not that bad presuming it is a zero deductible warranty through Honda. I know that a major repair is something I no longer wish to engage in on either my motorcycles or my cars. I have the skills for the most part; I just don’t want to do it anymore. I purchased the BMW extended warranty, zero deductible, bumper to bumper, extending coverage to 7 years on my C400GT. If it’s not a wear item it’s covered by BMW with no additional payment. If you don’t have mechanical skills, or don’t wish to work on the bike even if you do, it’s not a bad idea. I never understood the logic of “it’s a moneymaker for the dealer.” That is what dealers do, sell things to make a profit. I owned three restaurants and charged extra for bacon; should I not have? If it offers the peace of mind you are looking for it’s a small price to pay. If your ecu or digital screen blows it is also would immediately appear to have been a small price to pay. If you sell the bike it may increase the value too.

My 1 year factory warranty for my 2023 DCT model expires in the middle of April and I took the plunge and got the Honda Care extended plan. I find it interesting that you were offered a 4 year warranty - because Honda offers up to 5 years. I wonder if the warranty the dealer is trying to sell you is from Honda or a third party. Honda will send you an offer in the mail in a few months and several more as you get closer to the end of your warranty. To go with the Honda warranty you have time - as long as your current warranty is valid you can extend it.

I have a buddy with a Goldwing and while he did not get the extended warranty for his machine he told me there was a dealer out there who offered a discount. Sure enough there is. Below I'll paste an email I got from Blue Ridge Powersports in VA (I have no relationship with them other than buying the warranty through them last week). Based on this you can get 5 years w/ roadside from Honda for less than your dealer is offering you for four (again - not sure if dealer is offering you Honda). My dealer has never approached me about extending my warranty and it blows my mind that other dealers apparently aren't competing on price....

In my one year (and it's a short season where I live - April to early Nov) I've ridden 7500 miles. The only issue I've had is occasionally the dct won't go into first after starting up and occasionally won't go into neutral when it's time to shut down. It has always resolved itself after turning the bike off, but I'm not the only one who had the issue, and there is a thread on here about that and it makes me nervous. I've had warranties for my 2 Yamahas bought new and never used it and many here dismiss them. The goal of all insurance companies is to not spend a dime on claims. Like me I'm sure many here spend thousands on vehicle and homeowner's insurance and never make a claim. Given the price I paid I'm comfortable going for it.
You are correct; many people spends thousands on vehicle and home insurance. In my lifetime I can only think of 3 claims ever made, and they were small and trivial. Of all the products and services I buy, insurance surely gives me the least in return, monetarily.

I once bought a new Honda for a very good price, because the dealer had made an error in advertising it. They nearly locked me in the finance office trying to sell me an extended warranty, presumably to recover their losses. I didn't back down. I left paying for only the motorcycle. In 6 years it has never had a single problem. Built in Thailand, it is probably the best built motorcycle I ever bought. I can't find a single manufacturing flaw.

One could always cite a single incident or two, or even three where a purchased "warranty" paid off, but averaged over all the vehicles and products purchased over a lifetime, the odds are that "warranty" or service contracts win handsomely, and you lose.

I would have never believed you could put water in a plastic bottle and sell It, but it turns out you can. So, now it doesn’t surprise me that people would pay to insure for unlikely, non-catastrophic, non lifestyle-changing events like broken things on a motorcycle.

With foresight, this is something to be negotiated long before laying down money for a bike. Many dealers will give bigger discounts when you have your checkbook in your hand and a deal is pending. Especially if you compare dealers, lots of leverage out there, just have to know how to use it. A buddy of mine was offered a 1,000,000 mile powertrain warranty (no time limit, and not Honda) from one dealer and another dealer offered to pay for the bumper to bumper 5 year unlimited and throw in a bunch of goodies for the same model of bike. They both wanted to close the deal.

I will also say, your Honda will probably not need a warranty. I've had zero issues and I can only assume they're getting better over time.

6 year old nc750x no issues. I don’t really feel the warranty will pay off but if it makes you feel better then by all means do it.

One could always cite a single incident or two, or even three where a purchased "warranty" paid off, but averaged over all the vehicles and products purchased over a lifetime, the odds are that "warranty" or service contracts win handsomely, and you lose.
I'm not being argumentative, and I don't disagree that the NC platform has proven to have exceptional reliability, and I do not have a warranty on my NC, Honda spends about 3% of its revenue on warranty claims, as do most other large motorcycle manufacturers. It's right in their balance sheets. Honda Powersports division has set aside about $1.2Bn for warranty claims this year. That is not an incident or two but rather represents an aggregate of minor to catastrophic covered events. Again, though the NC is generally reliable, repairs under warranty for this brand (not necessarily this model), though lower than many is not insignificant.

I'm not being argumentative, and I don't disagree that the NC platform has proven to have exceptional reliability, and I do not have a warranty on my NC, Honda spends about 3% of its revenue on warranty claims, as do most other large motorcycle manufacturers. It's right in their balance sheets. Honda Powersports division has set aside about $1.2Bn for warranty claims this year. That is not an incident or two but rather represents an aggregate of minor to catastrophic covered events. Again, though the NC is generally reliable, repairs under warranty for this brand (not necessarily this model), though lower than many is not insignificant.
Thanks. That is good info. Put another way, would that mean that if a base warranty did not exist, new owners would, on average, incur a mere 3% additional cost, again on average, for things that could break? The other thing, too, is that manufacturing defects are, in my opinion, more likely to be revealed early on and in the standard warranty period. The extended warranty period would seem to be smooth sailing and hence the more profitable period for the extended warranty (service contract) seller.

Seeing that (quite low) 3% claims number for the standard warranty makes me even more confident that the odds are strongly against me if I were to buy an extended warranty or contract. I wonder on average what gets paid out in the extended period, a fraction of 1% (of the original price)? I don’t know; just thinking out loud.

. Put another way, would that mean that if a base warranty did not exist, new owners would, on average, incur a mere 3% additional cost, again on average, for things that could break?
No; not in the least bit accurate. I think it is well settled that Honda produces a very reliable product. If nothing else there are anecdotal references here that suggest defects are uncommon. What I think is a better conclusion to draw is that problems are uncommon; but when they are they are costly. I am making this next point with limited information but every motor vehicle manufacturer company that I own stock in exceeds their projected spend on warranty claims.

The other thing, too, is that manufacturing defects are, in my opinion, more likely to be revealed early on and in the standard warranty period.

Maybe. I don't know. I don't think TFT screens, ECUs, EFI, and other expensive covered items are likely to fail in the first twelve months. I think it would be safe to say that minor defects are more commonly identified in the first twelve months. I'm pretty certain you'd agree with that.

The extended warranty period would seem to be smooth sailing and hence the more profitable period for the extended warranty (service contract) seller.
Could be. But I think your logic is fatally flawed on the 3% extrapolation.

Seeing that (quite low) 3% claims number for the standard warranty makes me even more confident that the odds are strongly against me if I were to buy an extended warranty or contract. I wonder on average what gets paid out in the extended period, a fraction of 1%

3% of total revenue is not the same as a 3% claims frequency or a reasonable supposition that each owner will spend only 3% in repair costs. As a matter of fact. they are all necessarily detached. If you take away profit then the 3% would increase factorially and you would have to apply that logic would bring it up failure rate/frequency to say 10 or 15% (for example). None of it goes to events occurring within or without the initial warranty period. Not sure how you arrived there. Maybe I'm missing something.

No; not in the least bit accurate. I think it is well settled that Honda produces a very reliable product. If nothing else there are anecdotal references here that suggest defects are uncommon. What I think is a better conclusion to draw is that problems are uncommon; but when they are they are costly. I am making this next point with limited information but every motor vehicle manufacturer company that I own stock in exceeds their projected spend on warranty claims.

Maybe. I don't know. I don't think TFT screens, ECUs, EFI, and other expensive covered items are likely to fail in the first twelve months. I think it would be safe to say that minor defects are more commonly identified in the first twelve months. I'm pretty certain you'd agree with that.

Could be. But I think your logic is fatally flawed on the 3% extrapolation.

3% of total revenue is not the same as a 3% claims frequency or a reasonable supposition that each owner will spend only 3% in repair costs. As a matter of fact. they are all necessarily detached. If you take away profit then the 3% would increase factorially and you would have to apply that logic would bring it up failure rate/frequency to say 10 or 15% (for example). None of it goes to events occurring within or without the initial warranty period. Not sure how you arrived there. Maybe I'm missing something.
I’m just chewing on some ideas and concepts, without access to real data, nor the skills to effectively interpret it. When you said Honda only pays out 3% in warranty claims, that indicates to me that warranty covered problems are indeed rare.

In all my motorcycle years, I can think of two warranty claims. One was on a 1975 Yamaha. The other was a 1997 Honda. While the Honda dealer attempted to fix the Honda, they did not/could not, and actually made things worse. I ended up doing the repair successfully. I would have been better not to mess with the warranty at all. I had a warranty claim on a SeaDoo jetboat engine. Dealer took a stab at it, but the fix lasted about a half hour. I made permanent repairs myself. Made in America RVs, which are the most poorly built vehicles you can buy, are in another league. It’s not a matter of if, but of how many warranty issues you will have. I fixed the issues myself, but got the dealer to provide part, as needed, for free. It is to the point that I don’t care if a product has a warranty of not, as often it is worthless to me.

I’m just chewing on some ideas and concepts, without access to real data, nor the skills to effectively interpret it. When you said Honda only pays out 3% in warranty claims, that indicates to me that warranty covered problems are indeed rare.

In all my motorcycle years, I can think of two warranty claims. One was on a 1975 Yamaha. The other was a 1997 Honda. While the Honda dealer attempted to fix the Honda, they did not/could not, and actually made things worse. I ended up doing the repair successfully. I would have been better not to mess with the warranty at all. I had a warranty claim on a SeaDoo jetboat engine. Dealer took a stab at it, but the fix lasted about a half hour. I made permanent repairs myself. Made in America RVs, which are the most poorly built vehicles you can buy, are in another league. It’s not a matter of if, but of how many warranty issues you will have. I fixed the issues myself, but got the dealer to provide part, as needed, for free. It is to the point that I don’t care if a product has a warranty of not, as often it is worthless to me.
Agree with all. I’ve had good experiences with extended warranties. But you are 100% correct that on reliable products they often don’t return value. I have a Cadillac I bought used with an extended GM warranty. 2 months ago a thermostat went. I was one week out of warranty but they honored it with an administrative fee of 44.00. Sounds minor but the repair is close to $3,000.00 out of pocket on the vehicle (total pain to do the job, fuel rails have to be removed and replaced, etc.). Another replaced a transmission on a different vehicle. Like everything, it’s subjective. Extended warranties don’t have value, until they do, and it is up to the individual to decide on both points.

As you correctly state, a reliable bike. I have have no issue with my 6yo NC neither have my various BMWs over the years had any issue that would have been dealt with by extended warranty.

I wouldn’t buy the warranty your dealer is trying to sell, but only you can decide
right, reliability is high and the likelihood of failure is low; yet when failure occurs is fairly pricy, and if I rack high mileage, it might make sense to get the extended warranty given the penitential for developing an issue become higher.

My opinion if you ride a ton of miles as in 20k a year or more it might not be such a bad idea. If you are a typical rider who rides 3K a year or less, it's a lot of money for a bike that will in all likelihood never have an issue in 5 years.

My 2021 bought in June of 21 will turn over 41,000 miles this week, maybe today if I take a long ride, and like most Hondas, it has been dead reliable so far. (knock on wood)
This is a sound advise, and in fact, I do rack up high mileage on my NC, and it might make sense getting the extended coverage!

I think you have up to one year from the date you take delivery of the bike to purchase the extended warranty. Did the dealer also recommend the prepaid
maintenance plan and credit life insurance? Those are big money makers too.
Surprisingly, the dealership did not push hard on selling the coverage, and did not offer the maintenance service package. I do the oil change myself, but the business of chain care is new to me, my pervious bike was a shaft drive.

Back