• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Glowing Madstad windshield

nemesis98

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read posts on here regarding the glowing affect created by the headlight thru the Madstad windshield, and the different ways to reduce this.
I rode twice at night with this windshield, and both times it was horrible - the glow and headlight reflection was so bad I almost could not see ahead of me. Really didn't like it at all, and want to reduce or eliminate this affect so I can feel safer riding at night.

The method I am thinking about is painting the inside bottom part of the screen that mostly is over the mounting plate (similar to this post here: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/2211-madstad-windshield-10.html#post41213) - will Plasti-Dip paint work on the screen? I am afraid that if I screw up the paint job - I'm stuck with it, but read that the Plasti-Dip can peel off if you don't want it there? True?
Not too familiar with the Plasti-Dip, so any input is welcome

Thanks!

Yes, I need to address this issue, too. I see just as much glow from the amber running lights as from the headlight. The left running light makes the upper right corner of the shield glow and vice versa. Which means any masking done would need to come around up the sides at the windshield bottom, a well as right above the headlight.

It's not an immediate concern since I avoid riding at night when possible, but it's on the to do list. Looking for ideas.

Greg

It is a plastic covering, much like you would see on the handles of pliers. It works and so will any paint that is made for plastic.
All can be purchased at Walmart in black for about $6.

The light transmission in these windshields is the same phenomena used to create acrylic edge lighting products. It is not the face of the windshield you need to cover, but any edges where light can get in. Madstad fire polishes the edges. I know it looks boss, but it accentuates the light transmission effect. You do this when you are intentionally trying to transmit light as well. If you frost the entire outside edge by sanding it with 400 grit wet-or-dry paper until the gloss is gone, you will go a long way towards solving the problem. It also greatly improves sun reflectance during the daytime. If you want to go a step further, after sanding you can paint the edges with flat black plastic paint like Krylon Fusion or Rust-Oleum Paint for Plastics. The easiest way to mask the edges is to mask both faces of the windshield and cut along the edge of the windshield with the side of a sharp blade with the tip angled away from the windshield. You can either spray or brush it. Carefully masked, it is probably easier just to spray it.

The light transmission in these windshields is the same phenomena used to create acrylic edge lighting products. It is not the face of the windshield you need to cover, but any edges where light can get in. Madstad fire polishes the edges. I know it looks boss, but it accentuates the light transmission effect. You do this when you are intentionally trying to transmit light as well. If you frost the entire outside edge by sanding it with 400 grit wet-or-dry paper until the gloss is gone, you will go a long way towards solving the problem. It also greatly improves sun reflectance during the daytime. If you want to go a step further, after sanding you can paint the edges with flat black plastic paint like Krylon Fusion or Rust-Oleum Paint for Plastics. The easiest way to mask the edges is to mask both faces of the windshield and cut along the edge of the windshield with the side of a sharp blade with the tip angled away from the windshield. You can either spray or brush it. Carefully masked, it is probably easier just to spray it.

I will do that as well, but I also have a big reflection from the headlight onto the windscreen low and center - the pic below shows it somewhat, but now that I have the screen angled just right it seems much worse.
I figured painting the back of the screen towards the bottom as well as the edges at the bottom and a bit up the sides will help to eliminate that bright glow...thoughts?

glow spot lower center_outlined.jpg

I will do that as well, but I also have a big reflection from the headlight onto the windscreen low and center - the pic below shows it somewhat, but now that I have the screen angled just right it seems much worse.
I figured painting the back of the screen towards the bottom as well as the edges at the bottom and a bit up the sides will help to eliminate that bright glow...thoughts?

I see what you are saying. Since I have a 2.8 inch HID projector, mine does not do that. It projects the light directly out of the lens. If your shield is out front of the headlight reflector sufficiently that it is a direct reflection from the headlight to the back side of the shield, then what you are describing may be required. I am sure, even if that is the case, that edge transmission is happening as well. But if you can see a direct reflection, then more is necessary. To test, you might remove the shield and cover the area you are thinking of painting with masking tape and reinstall it to test. When you are happy with the areas that are masked, you will know what to paint. I would use a flat paint. I have found that flat paint on the back side of acrylic looks like gloss paint on the front, so it really does not look bad in that direction. Maybe you have a scrap of plexi you can test paint the back of to observe the result.

You can remove Plasti-Dip by simply pulling an edge and peeling it off. It will leave no residue or scratches on your screen, so that'll work just fine.

People Plasti-Dip their entire cars to make them flat black from time to time, and then peel it right off when they want their OEM paint to shine again.

Yes, bank robbers and those abducting small children especially like this feature.

No doubt!

It's good for things like headlight cowlings, clip-on's, etc. etc. I'd imagine it'd be good for the lower portion of a windscreen too. To be honest, I'm looking ahead (above) the screen, so I don't really care about the "glow" from any reflections I get at night. My Cee Bailey's might be a tad different than the MadStad, but I'm sure it reflects some light as well.

And I thought this thread was going to be a "Glowing Madstad Windshield Review!"

Your screen may be too long, or drilled too high so that it is actually over the headlight. I doubt if it will help, but you can bring the shield in closer to the bike by changing the position of your "fulcrum" bolt on the Madstad bracket. It comes in the center position. Angling the screen forward will be more effective at reducing "captured" light.

I've noticed the glowing effect on the windshield edges myself, but I don't find it in the least disturbing or distracting. Nor does it affect my night vision, despite my having very poor night vision (perhaps that is why).

Headlight reflection in Madstad windshield

Hi,

I've installed Madstad windshield and really been enjoying it since. However, it became quite difficult to ride with it at night, the reflection from the headlight in the windshield is quite strong. Having such a strong reflection makes it real hard to see, when it is really dark and it tires the eyes quite fast as well.
Anyone ever had a similar problem ? How did you deal with it ?
Has anyone tried tinting the bottom part of the Madstad windshield, would that help ?

I've tried putting the windshield almost vertical, and then my helmet starts buffeting at higher speeds, which is also annoying.

Thanks,D

This is a major fail in the Madstad product. They should be coating the bottom of the screen with a black mask. Instead, the owner needs to do it. I painted the backside lower 2 inches of the screen with Rustoleum "textured black paint for plastic" to reduce the reflection.

I am not sure coating it will fix the problem unless it is a non reflective material.
To be clear, this is a different problem than the light transmitted to the edges, which can be fixed with a coating at the bottom or by ordering a non clear windshield.

I have the lightly smoked version. I do get a reflection from the bottom, but not the line of light at the top edge that those with the clear version complained about. I don't ride enough in the dark to bother fixing it but spraying a flat black on the inside of the bottom portion of the shield should fix the problem, thought I am not sure I would like the way it looks.

I lowered the Madstad on my bike and had the same problem. I used a can of black Plasti-Dip and painted the bottom 4 inches on the inside of the shield and the bottom edge. I didn't mask off the entire shield, just the middle third. I now have a three tone shield: Solid black on the bottom; crystal clear in the middle; and a light tint on the top third. I'll live with it, it looks a little funny but works very well at blocking the light of the headlight from bleeding through the top of the shield at night.

Back