• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad windshield

skills4lou

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I had a little side gig this summer and I'm gonna use some of the proceeds for a new windshield. Really seriously considering a Madstad, it seems that's the best one for most folks. Anyway, before I pull the trigger I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has suggestions: either go for it or something better. In this instance I'm mostly looking to reduce the noise/buffeting on my helmet so maybe I can hear my tunes again from the Cardo.
Thanks!

It's pretty quiet behind a Madstad. Besides music I can listen to podcasts behind mine. Sena 20 or 50 with in-helmet speakers and foam earplugs.

There is nothing better. I agree with larger is better and would get a size or two higher than they recommend. That has been my experience (and preference).

Ditto to what potter0o, dduelin and CamaroEric said. Madstad has been the best that I've ever had on my NC, relatively quiet, decreases buffeting and as suggested by others I would get a larger size than measured.

good decision. I started out with a CalSci, and it was good. But I installed a Madstad late last year based on comments on this forum, and it's been great. Quiet bubble, easily adjustable. I only wish the Madstad for my 2015 had the available cross bar for GPS mounting.

Last edited:
You've already ordered, but I'll add my two bits here for posterity.

I have found the Madstad, with the lower deflectors, the best of the windshields I've tried for the NCX, ASSUMING you want a pre-made item that you don't mess with in any way. I've used stock, Honda Touring, CalSci, and Madstad. It seems like I had another, but I can't come up with a name, so I'll stick with those four.

The Madstad's lower deflectors are very nice in colder weather, but the system does not stop all buffeting. Plus, it adds noticeable wind resistance to the bike (somewhat lower mpg and just-detectable available passing power). Perhaps if you order a taller one than Madstad might suggest, you could get rid of most all buffeting; IDK.

My most-preferred windshield is actually the Honda Touring, but with a clip at the top of it and a piece of paracord to tie the top to the handlebars, so that the top of the screen is pulled back and down. This results in clean air across my helmet, which has been the ONLY thing that has eliminated buffeting for me.

Everyone likes different things, so hopefully this feedback is helpful to others who are looking for a different windshield, and have varying desires for airflow management.

Thanks MZ5 for the info. My bike has a GIVI right now and I seriously considered doing some heat/bend to try to fix things. And I may still do that at some point. For me I think this Givi would work great for a shorter rider: If I duck down a ways It helps considerably.

For me, right now I'm fortunate enough to try this route. I want plug and play easy.
(next up: RDL seat maybe?)

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ5
At 5’6” the Givi works fine for me. Could it be better? Maybe. Could it be worse? It was with the stock shield. Am I going to spend any more money on windshields? Nope.

Two quick updates: the Madstad is a win. I had to stop four times on my commute to work to adjust, but that last one seems to be pretty close to ideal: all the way down and tilted back.

And, my son took the carb apart on the little SP200 after school, cleaned it out and it's running. Still not great at idle, so we need to work on the idle circuit and I'm sure adjust valves but it runs.

Back