• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

1st generation Madstad winglets question

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one the the first generation Madstad windshields on my 2013. These are identified by the curved aluminum base plate that mounts in place of the original Honda windshield. I'm interested in the utility of the optional winglets that mount with two fasteners on either side of the aluminum base plate. The base is drilled and tapped to accept the mounting screws. I do not have the winglets and want to know when they are installed do they noticeably affect wind or turbulence around the rider? I did have them on my 2015 with the later Madstad that omitted the base plate. On that bike they did block a significant amount of wind and I would remove them in the spring and re-install them in the fall. I'm thinking of ordering a set for this bike if they are effective. Anyone with a 1st gen with winglets?

Madstad base plate.jpg

Which shape of first gen Madstad windscreen do you have? If I remember the choices correctly, is it the sport or the adventure screen?

I bought the original Madstad before the winglets existed. I added them later. One of my wishes is that it could reduce the amount of air coming around the lower outer corners of the sport screen (which in retrospect I wish I hadn’t chosen). The side wings are moderately effective. Mine have be in place for maybe 8 years and I’ve never removed them. I can’t say for certain what their overall effect is, but I think they can’t hurt to be there. I’ve had to mount my sport screen much lower than “stock” to deal with wind coming around the lower corners and generating noise by hitting me in the chest/neck area.

My junk box still contains the original Madstad mounting plate without the side wing attachment points.

Which shape of first gen Madstad windscreen do you have? If I remember the choices correctly, is it the sport or the adventure screen?

I bought the original Madstad before the winglets existed. I added them later. One of my wishes is that it could reduce the amount of air coming around the lower outer corners of the sport screen (which in retrospect I wish I hadn’t chosen). The side wings are moderately effective. Mine have be in place for maybe 8 years and I’ve never removed them. I can’t say for certain what their overall effect is, but I think they can’t hurt to be there. I’ve had to mount my sport screen much lower than “stock” to deal with wind coming around the lower corners and generating noise by hitting me in the chest/neck area.

My junk box still contains the original Madstad mounting plate without the side wing attachment points.
I believe it is the sport template with 4 rounded corners and tapered in width from bottom to top. Going from memory the adventure template with extended lower corners became the standard screen. The picture shows the outline of 1 side of the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 19
In summary, I think the original Madstad adventure shape screen worked well with the side wings. The wings picked up where the screen left off. The second NC I temporarily owned had the adventure screen plus wings. The sport, OTOH, leaves an air gap at the lower corners but having the wings is still better than no wings.

Back