• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front TKC80 with 1,500 Miles and Tread Life?

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tread on my front TKC80 is about half gone after 1,500 miles, is this normal? About a 1/3 of this miles (or more) have been on gravel.

belrix

I get about 5,000 miles on rear and 8,000 on the front with TKC80 tires. I currently have my first Heidenau K60 Scout Rear Tire and have put over 4000 miles on it.

Just put my first Shinko on the front about 300 miles ago.

I have about 13,000 km's (8K miles give or take) on mine (both front and rear) and I *thought* the front was still good for thousands more, but now it'll bug me until I get home after work and look again, lol. I've got a fresh and minty new rear tire sitting in my living room, ready to be put on in the next week or so, at least. :)

Thanks for the replies and feedback!

I guess the question I should be asking is this; what is the acceptable minimum thread depth for a TKC80?

(note to self: purchase a tire tread depth gauge)

belrix

Thanks for the replies and feedback!

I guess the question I should be asking is this; what is the acceptable minimum thread depth for a TKC80?

(note to self: purchase a tire tread depth gauge)

belrix

Technically, the tread should be at or above the wear bar indicators, but for some people that is too close for comfort, while others think of them as more of a suggestion, and merrily wear out the wear bars (lol) and continue down to the Baldy McBalderson point...:eek: ;)

My rear TKC is pretty much at the wear bar indicators in the centre blocks of the tire, not on the outer lateral corner ones, but it's at my personal "done" point, so a new one is going on asap.

I swapped my TKC80 front because the center blocks were getting lumpy....looked like the center of the blocks is a hard rubber surrounded with softer rubber so it got a lump in the middle. I had gotten the tire second hand looking half warn and put several thousand miles on it before swapping it this past winter.

Hmm, I'll need to look closer at my tire because I don't remember seeing the wear bars.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

You'll find them with a bit of squinting, lol

625.jpg

Alternatively; you could lay a penny, flat, in between two centre tread blocks, and if the knobby/ies are at or below the thickness of the penny, you'll pretty much get a good idea.

I now have over 8000 km on my front TKC and it still have a lot of live (probably around 5000 km) BUT vibrations and noise on the road are making me crazy so I ordered a Avon Distenzia and will change ASAP.

Be careful trusting wear indicators. Problem with many motorcycle tires is the maximum wear is in the center and wear indicators to the side a bit. I have had multiple tires show threads in the center and the wear indicators indicate I have life left in the tire.

I now have over 8000 km on my front TKC and it still have a lot of live (probably around 5000 km) BUT vibrations and noise on the road are making me crazy so I ordered a Avon Distenzia and will change ASAP.

I agree. I got 11500 kms on mine.... and its getting noisy! And lumpy ! The centre blocks have all sort of weird angles on them. Lol. I want the NC to be able to ride gravel... so unsure about what my next tire might be. I wouldn't mine a little quieter tire but don't want to sacrifice traction. I like a 50/50 tire but MIGHT be willing to try a 60/40. Still trying to decide.

Back