• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front cowl help!

BassBob

Reaction score
Visit site
BassBob asking for info on front cowl replacement. What I'd like is what order do I start with. I'm guessing the pin is a locater for proper alignment. Yes?
It's the pin on the cowl which has a screw/grommet. The screw in in an almost impossible location to engage. I presume I install the screw/grommet and push really hard?
2nd question involves the upper clips on the cowl. There are two of them. One big one, and one little one. The little one is slightly bent. So, If I need to, can I just remove it?
I think this is why nothing seats properly.
I might be able to pry it a little bit to get it to seat. But like the locating pin/grommet, I suspect that's almost impossible too.
For what it's worth, I've checked manuals, and each one has a different thing that needs removal. (Like the windshield!).
Thanks in advance!
BassBob

I’d love to help, but more information is needed. First, what is the year and model of your motorcycle? The NCX sold in the USA came in three body styles over the years, but since you reside in Wisconsin and posted in the NC700 forum section, I might assume you have version one.

Honda likes to call many parts by the name “cowl”. What body part specifically are you working with? Attaching photos or parts diagrams to your post would help greatly. I own a 2012 NC700X and I have removed and installed all of it’s body panels multiple times, yet I am not following your descriptions.

Do you have the official Honda service manual for your motorcycle?

OK. We’re discussing item 3 in the attached illustration?

8EE5443E-7750-466B-BC88-690CA1FEC906.jpeg

YES! Thanks Greg! Appreciate the page from the service manual.
The "clip" (not shown) is the little one that is on the top near where the turn signal mounts.
It's slightly bent. So I'm wondering if I'd be safe to simply remove it. I think (haha!) that's the reason
why the cowl won't mount. I'm presuming I should start with #3 to ensure everything else aligns
properly? Or does it matter where I start? In any case your thoughts are welcome!
Best Regards,
BassBob

Can you start from the beginning? Which panel are you talking about? I'm starting to have trouble visualizing what you're describing.

Capture.JPG

Taking panels off the NC is harder than any bike I've owned.
A Service Manual simplifies the process. It will pay for itself the first time used.
Without it, one is going in blind and can easily break or screw something up; attach hardware varies.

I bought the service manual on a (new) 04 ST1300 weeks before I had the bike.
I like Honda because they have excellent manuals, but vehicle (computer) complexity in autos now, make DIY service manuals more obsolete.
My 624 page accord owners manual is all I need. The dealer can handle even the fluid changes as they become due.
Motorcycles may soon follow. Blue Skies Green Light.

Last edited:
Back