• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Stubborn radiator cap lock screw

GLC

Reaction score
Visit site
Silly me thought removing the radiator cap would be one of the simplest things to do on the bike, but the little locking screw refuses to budge with any of the cross head screw drivers I have. I don't want to strip the head, so anyone have any ideas as to what will grip this little sucker properly? Do I need a JIS screwdriver for this?

Try unscrewing the screw (but not the cup) when the radiator is hot. If that doesn't help, try heating it with a heat gun.

JIS yes. An easy thing to try is to take a small pair of pliers and clamp down on the screwdriver grip perpendicular to the shaft so you can controllably apply greater torque to the screw while pressing down on the screw as hard as you can. If the screwdriver still strips out the head of the screw use the pliers to grip the screw head and loosen it.

Try unscrewing the screw (but not the cup) when the radiator is hot. If that doesn't help, try heating it with a heat gun.
Thanks guys for the tips. Eventually screwdriver #8 from my collection was a charmer. A little stubby which may or may not be a JIS head as it is unmarked. I doubt it will be as hard to remove the next time round. Of course it was all unnecessary anyway as the coolant was right to the top, as one might expect from Honda, even after nearly 8000 miles. I'm hoping the oil drain nut won't be as stubborn.

Thanks guys for the tips. Eventually screwdriver #8 from my collection was a charmer. A little stubby which may or may not be a JIS head as it is unmarked. I doubt it will be as hard to remove the next time round. Of course it was all unnecessary anyway as the coolant was right to the top, as one might expect from Honda, even after nearly 8000 miles. I'm hoping the oil drain nut won't be as stubborn.
Nothing wrong with removing the radiator cap, but if checking coolant level was the goal, that can usually be determined solely by checking/monitoring the coolant recovery tank coolant level (near the oil filter). Once air is burped out of the system after the initial fill, the coolant level will always be right at the top of the radiator, as long as there is reserve coolant in the recovery tank.

As the first oil change is recommended at 600 miles/1000 km, the oil drain plug should have been removed and reinstalled once already.

Back