• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Drive chain maintenance

It's a pity Honda just didn't fit a belt instead of a chain to start with. This bike would be perfect for a belt - modest power output combined with a low revving engine.... Perfect...

How many kilometers did you guys ride before it was time for a chain slack adjustment?

Last edited:
I checked chain allignment this morning with the MP tool. It was off by just a tiny bit. I straightened it out, and the noise is gone.

Thanks again for all the help!

I adjusted my chains yesterday and align by pushing bike forward and forward again and looks like it's aligned. While riding to work, I hear this whinning noises you were talking about... My rear wheel is not align correctly? I am pretty sure the slack in good, a little over 1"

Lee, could you explain the screw driver trick again? Sorry, don't understand...

I adjusted my chains yesterday and align by pushing bike forward and forward again and looks like it's aligned. While riding to work, I hear this whinning noises you were talking about... My rear wheel is not align correctly? I am pretty sure the slack in good, a little over 1"

Lee, could you explain the screw driver trick again? Sorry, don't understand...

Sure, The purpose is to cause the adjuster to seat fully forward before you tighten the hold-down nuts. Place the driver handle in the bottom of the sprocket where the chain enters and roll the tire in the forward direction by hand which will cause the driver handle to jam in between the chain and the sprocket. This will put tension on the top of the chain and cause it to pull the axle forward until it contacts the stop bolt. The MotionPro video explains it better than I do.

[video=youtube;u7f9y0MFIPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7f9y0MFIPY[/video]

Thank you Lee!!!

If the alignment is that much off and make that whine... I must be getting old... :p

It does not have to be off much to create a problem. This bike is very sensitive to it for some reason. Also, I do not think that an inch of slack is quite enough.

It does not have to be off much to create a problem. This bike is very sensitive to it for some reason. Also, I do not think that an inch of slack is quite enough.

I will give it a little more slack tonight when I got home... and re-align... Thanks Lee.

I still think the 6th gear at 50mph problem is from the chains somehow... Have you notice when you make slow speed maneuvers, the chains feel a little wierd? I notice that when I rode the bike home when I first bought it...

May be Honda will recall and give us belt and sprockets... ;)

I will give it a little more slack tonight when I got home... and re-align... Thanks Lee.

I still think the 6th gear at 50mph problem is from the chains somehow... Have you notice when you make slow speed maneuvers, the chains feel a little wierd? I notice that when I rode the bike home when I first bought it...

May be Honda will recall and give us belt and sprockets... ;)

I don't feel any issues with the chain when properly adjusted. I travel too many miles of unpaved roads to want a belt drive. There are some innovative ways to keep the bottom inside face of a belt clear of debris, but it only takes one pebble carried through the rear pulley to destroy a belt. Since there is no master link in a belt, the replacement is not a very pleasant side-of-the-road affair.

My 6th gear at 50mph issue has been less since I put more miles on my bike. It's still there, just don't feel it as much.

I hardly travel off road and belt will be real nice. Chains is okay, I just have to lube them often... Sometimes up to 2 times a week depend on how many miles I ride...

I think I over lube my chains... :p... I lube every 300miles or so... more often than what the menu recommended... :)

This is my first time dealing with a chain. I have always had shaft drive. I am way nervous, and still a little confused. Going to read it over word by word as I perform the functions. Thanks.

How will I know while I am riding if I screwed up?

Thanks

Steve

This is my first time dealing with a chain. I have always had shaft drive. I am way nervous, and still a little confused. Going to read it over word by word as I perform the functions. Thanks.

How will I know while I am riding if I screwed up?

Thanks

Steve

It might make some oddball noises if it is too tight. When I got my warranty replacement chain, the HONDA PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC set it too tight and it made a "rum-rum" sound especially when the shocks compressed. I pulled over and adjusted it on the side of the road because it doesn't take many miles to destroy the countershaft bearing. If you set it by the numbers, you should be fine. A little loose is safer than a little tight. Use a straight edge for the alignment. You'll be fine.

Beemerphile did a great job in explaining the chain adjustment. The Motion Pro equipment he showed here is top notch.
Motion Pro has a new tool - Motion Pro PBR Chain Tool Part#08-0470 - that I carry with me on the road. This all in one tool Breaks, Rivets, and Press chain parts. I carry a couple of extra links. With this great little tool and a few chain links I know I have every chain problem covered while on the road.

Question... Is there a rule of thumb on how often a chain needs to be adjusted? every 8000 miles at oil change time? more frequent? Curious Noobie here.

Darin

Back