• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2012 transmission noise

yticolev

Reaction score
Visit site
2012 NC700X manual transmission at 30K has developed a metallic cyclic scraping sort of noise which I believe must be the transmission. Initially I thought it was a kinked chain or misaligned rear wheel as the sound appeared to come with every wheel revolution (in first gear going slow). However timing of the sound remains roughly the same no matter the speed, which makes me think gear changes are involved. The sound is also located in the transmission area on the left side. Chain seems to be properly adjusted and no tight/loose things happening.

I hope to bring it to an independent certified Honda mechanic at some point this winter that I've used before. In any case, I need a new tire and it is time for a valve adjustment. Just hoping for some insight before bringing it in. Sounds expensive.

Have you removed the countershaft sprocket cover and inspected that area?

How old is the chain? A replacement chain would be less expensive than a mechanic’s time, and worth a try replacing it if the chain has a lot of age on it.

Stratuner, a long time member, had a bearing go bad in his manual tranny, but his had over 100,000 miles on it. I don’t know what the symptoms were.

Have you removed the countershaft sprocket cover and inspected that area?
No. Is that the drive sprocket? If so, the noise has a different cycle (frequency) than the drive sprocket. I do have the workshop manual, I'll take a look for that.

Back