• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New NC750X DCT owner, strange noise at speed, need help.

I have that whirring too on my new '23 bike. I notice it the most at low speeds, not so much after 30mph.

I've properly inflated the tires to 36/42 according to the gas station pump which stops it automatically at the set psi. I wonder how much I can trust that though...

Well,
I've determined it's the front tire. I changed tires and ALL the noise went away. I went to a Shinko 705 series and they are a 60/40 tire. So, they were pretty darned quiet when new. Now they're making an ever-so-slight noise. It's not near enough to worry about. So, I'm a happy camper.
Scott

Tire pressures are only as accurate as the guage used to check them. The good news is, in reality its not that critical. If the tires are in fact a couple of pounds off, it’s no biggie, in fact many of us run pressures different than what is specified. I will run from 36 to 38 in the front and from 38 to 42 in the rear depending on how much weight I am carrying. Lower pressures allow for a softer ride, higher pressures will handle a heavier load. Recommended pressures are just that, a recommendation, not an iron clad rule.

Tire pressures are only as accurate as the guage used to check them. The good news is, in reality its not that critical. If the tires are in fact a couple of pounds off, it’s no biggie, in fact many of us run pressures different than what is specified. I will run from 36 to 38 in the front and from 38 to 42 in the rear depending on how much weight I am carrying. Lower pressures allow for a softer ride, higher pressures will handle a heavier load. Recommended pressures are just that, a recommendation, not an iron clad rule.
I run 36/36 with no issues.
42 PSI in the rear was a pain in the rear. o_O
Much better now.

Hey Gang,
I surely appreciate the insight and experiences here. As for the front tire making noise, well, I guess it's possible. I stated in my introductory post/thread that I just sold my '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. I loved that bike and still do. But, even for my 6' 2 1/2" 245 lb. elephant body, that A/T was/is a big girl to jossle around in very slow maneuvering and garage pushing around circumstances. The top-heaviness of it just made it almost scary to push by hand. So, I decided to sell it. About a year before I sold it, I converted the spoked, tube type wheels to tubeless wheels and at that time, installed some brand new Dunlop Trailmission Max tires. Talk about some SERIOUSLY stiff tires, wow! Anyway, they were a more aggressive tire. They did provide for ever so slight more road noise than the 90/10 tires that came on the bike from the factory.

But, I never heard any type of whirring coming from that bike which, for the most part, has the almost same motor (albeit a bit larger) and trans as the NC. In fact, of any and all motorcycles I've had in about a 50+ year period, I've not heard what I'm hearing with the NC. I'll figure it out sooner or later. Thanks again for your help] here.
Scott
First thing I noticed on my NC750X (DCT) was induction noise. Remember the air filter is in front of the luggage space, (frunk, I hate that word) and the fuel tank is under the seat so no sound absorption from that.

After 2 years and 18K miles, I've come to the conclusion that the NC is just a noisy bike. End of. There's a whine from the gearbox (from new), tyre noise, various vibrations etc etc. Like you, I get a big difference in noise when cornering hard and I've put it down to tyre noise having checked wheel bearings and replaced them on the rear (not because they really badly needed doing at that mileage - just that they're so cheap, why not.)
I get the idea that if you want prestige engineering, you pay prestige prices for aluminium frames and swingarms etc etc. That's not what the NC is about.

After 2 years and 18K miles, I've come to the conclusion that the NC is just a noisy bike. End of. There's a whine from the gearbox (from new), tyre noise, various vibrations etc etc. Like you, I get a big difference in noise when cornering hard and I've put it down to tyre noise having checked wheel bearings and replaced them on the rear (not because they really badly needed doing at that mileage - just that they're so cheap, why not.)
I get the idea that if you want prestige engineering, you pay prestige prices for aluminium frames and swingarms etc etc. That's not what the NC is about.
I like a noisy bike, its a motorcycle, after all.
I like the mechanical noises too.
Get a electric motor and try that.

Actually,
Other than the tire noise that comes up through the tunnel, I really don't think the NC is all that noisy of a bike. Each motorcycle has it's own noise characteristics. Heck, even my '18 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag is not all that quiet at both idle and at various speeds. It's not very noisy but you can hear it. They are what they are. I was riding my NC around the campground the last few days and at very slow speeds, it's actually VERY quiet.
Scott

Back