• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Low Oil

jjtj2

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a new 2016 DCT in August of last year. I performed the 600 mile service in October. I now have little over 1,700 miles. The DCT was shifting with a clunk last night so this morning I checked the oil level and it wasn't even registering on the stick. I am not seeing any oil on the floor of the garage nor am I seeing any smoke out the exhaust pipe. Any ideas where the oil might be going?

Is it possible that not enough oil was added when your bike was serviced? That would be my guess. Did you do it yourself? If not, have you checked the oil level since it was serviced? Motorcycles do use oil, some more than others, for reasons that others more technically knowledgeable than myself could explain. It’s probably nothing. I would suggest topping it up and then monitoring the oil level more frequently.

I did it myself and put in just shy of 1 gallon. I even just rechecked the container to make sure that it was 1 gallon. When I changed the oil, it was just slightly over the full line. I have now put checking the oil level more often on my things to do list.

Monitor it and see what happens. I’d be surprised if the oil level went down, but it’s something you’d want to track. Loss of oil is not normal these days.

Come to think of it I don’t often check engine oil on any vehicles anymore since oil consumption seems to be a thing of the past.

Any ideas where the oil might be going?

It may not have gone anywhere. After doing an oil change there is no oil in the new filter and oil passageways may also be empty. So, after refilling the oil the engine should be started and run for a a minute or two after the oil light goes out. Then with the bike held vertically, on a level surface, (another reason to have a center stand) for 5 minutes to allow the oil to drain into the sump, and then check the oil level. If this isn't done, then you don't know what oil level you started out with. After you've done this a time, or two, you'll know how much oil has to be put in the engine to bring it to the correct level.

Back