• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cleaning and lubing the chain

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the way I clean and lube the chain on my NC700X. By no means is it the only way or the best way it's just how I do it. I don't like grime or accumulation on the rear wheel and I found this protects the chain from rusting and keeps the rear wheel clean. After arranging the materials it takes just a minute or two and I can do it at home or on the road. The cleaning agent is WD40 sprayed on two paper shop towels folded into an eighths square. I wet the paper towels with a liberal spray of WD40 and let it soak in. Turning the wheel by hand I wipe the surfaces of the chain clean. Using a toothbrush I apply just 1 dip of the brush into a 50/50 mix of ATF and 80w or 80w90 gear oil. I lay the brush against the top of the lower run of the chain. The ATF conditions the chain's o-rings and the gear oil lubes the rollers. I do this every 200 to 1000 miles depending on weather and road conditions. I made a travel kit with gloves, WD40, a cut-down toothbrush, and a small container of the lube mix. It all fits in a sandwich bag.

Last edited:
Dave the video doesnt show where you apply your atf/gear lube mix .... lower roller on bottom, lower roller on top, top roller on top?

I have been using a similar method of cleaning with the wd 40/ rag as shown, but I follow it up with gear lube in another rag, applied just like the wd40

Dave the video doesnt show where you apply your atf/gear lube mix .... lower roller on bottom, lower roller on top, top roller on top?

I have been using a similar method of cleaning with the wd 40/ rag as shown, but I follow it up with gear lube in another rag, applied just like the wd40
“I lay the brush against the top of the lower run of the chain.”

Every time I go to my dentist for teeth cleaning, they give me a free toothbrush. Since I do not like the bristle style of these free brushes, I use them for tasks like sprocket and chain cleaning. Sprockets have teeth too!

Back