• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Baby got new shoes

b_rubenstein

Reaction score
Visit site
About a year ago I replaced the Dunlop rim protectors with Avon 3D Storm sporty bike tires. After 11k miles, they weren't quite down to the wear bars, but the rear was flat in the center and the edges were beveled. Handling was ok straight up, or leaned all the way over, but not so great in between. So I had my local, independent repair shop order me a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart III tires. I felt like trying something new and there's a $60 rebate on a pair of tires. I do everything on the bike, but mount and balance tires. The local guy does a very good job and charges $20 per wheel, if I buy the tires from him. I think a good independent repair guy 10 minutes from my house is a good thing, and you can't get the rebate without an invoice for the tires and installation.

So I pull the wheels, bring them in and 1/2 hour later I bring them home and put them back. One thing I wasn't thrilled with the first time I did this was that even with a center stand, there isn't a good jacking point to raise the front wheel. Before I started this time, I took a scrap piece of 2x4, cut it at an angle and added piece of metal to keep things from sliding (it goes from the front to the back of the center of the engine pan):

EM520972.jpg

A quick ride to scrub in the tires really showed the difference between old and new tires. The bike felt lighter and easier to change direction. If the stick and wear as well as the Avons, I'll be happy.

I now have a little over 3,600 miles on the tires. 3,000 of the miles were done in the past 2 weeks visiting with family in the NE. Lots of interstates, back roads, Back of the Dragon and rain.
The good: They wear well with only slight wear visible. They are quiet; the front Avon 3D would make a "roar" under hard braking. Very good in heavy rain on interstates at speeds well beyond the speed limit. No idea of cornering grip in twisties in the rain.

Not so good: These are "hard", stiff tires. They make the bike twitchy in the turbulence of other vehicles and will change line through a corner if you blink too hard. The profile of the tires seem to be more "pointed" than the Avons and doing the same sort of riding, with the same amount of lean the tires aren't as feathered out to the edge as the Avons were. The bike felt more secure, pushed harder through turns than the Dunlops. When these get worn, or I've had enough of them, I'll try Michelin PR4's, assuming I still use the NC for touring.

Back