• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Information 1st Tire Change

InfernoST

Reaction score
Visit site
It's that time, the 1 tire change for my 2020 with 9000 miles on the clock from new. I have to say the variety of choices out there weren't plentiful and the differences and costs within the types confusing at best which was getting me frustrated. Since I didn't like the OEM's selection in the least and need to get the bike inspected I bought a pair of Dunlop GPR-300's for now which will get me through my inspection and put the safety factor back into the bike....... Here is a pic of the new tires I will take pics of the old ones after i change them out.
Tires.jpg

I just finished reassembling the bike due to it being torn down so I could paint all the ugly BLACK PARTS. And while it was down, I also dismounted the 2,300 mile tires so I could take the wheels over and have them powder coated to silver, also from BLACK. I was/am not a big fan of the factory Bridgestones so, I purchased some Shinko's and they are a 60/40 street/off road mix so, can't wait to get them mounted and on the road to see how they feel. For the rear, the 160 60 seems to be a bit scarce so, I went with a 170 60 which is only slightly taller than the original tire. That's fine with me since I do a bit more of freeway/highway riding so, to cut down on the freeway rpms even a slight amount is perfectly fine with me.
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_5716.JPG
    IMG_5716.JPG
    771.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5717.JPG
    IMG_5717.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5718.JPG
    IMG_5718.JPG
    927.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5719.JPG
    IMG_5719.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Rev. / Mile:821.15805.39-15.76
Section Width:6.3''6.69''0.39''
Sidewall Height:3.78''4.02''0.24''
Tire Circum:77.16''78.67''1.51''
Tire Height:24.56''25.04''0.48''
If your speedometer reads 65 mph, you are going about 66.3 mph

Old tire vs new tire. You will be fine.
:cool: :cool:

I just finished reassembling the bike due to it being torn down so I could paint all the ugly BLACK PARTS. And while it was down, I also dismounted the 2,300 mile tires so I could take the wheels over and have them powder coated to silver, also from BLACK. I was/am not a big fan of the factory Bridgestones so, I purchased some Shinko's and they are a 60/40 street/off road mix so, can't wait to get them mounted and on the road to see how they feel. For the rear, the 160 60 seems to be a bit scarce so, I went with a 170 60 which is only slightly taller than the original tire. That's fine with me since I do a bit more of freeway/highway riding so, to cut down on the freeway rpms even a slight amount is perfectly fine with me.
Scott
My Stock tires were Dunlop and wore horribly with keeping the tire pressures at 43 rear 37 front, I'm going to post and update you'll see what I'm talking about.

Hi Guys
I finally figured out how to get pics up, the old tires have 8500 or so miles on them as you can see the old front tire has some very strange wear on it, partially cupped and partially flat. I check my pressures twice a week and keep the tires at 36 front 42 rear so I am not sure what caused the weird wear on the front and as for the rear tire i expected that type of wear but what I really didn't like about it is the compound seems to be too hard causing the rear to slide if I got to Frisky in a corner. Now for the tire early views, no complaints, they turn in extremely well, ride smoother than the stock shoes and really grip the road 10 times better, in other words they allow this old fart to get very FRISKY. If anyone has any ideas on the old fronts wear the set as a whole being a not to so good street performer please chime in.

Front_Tire_resized.pngRearTire.pngTire2_resized.png

It is difficult to comment on tire wear as there are so many variables but most of us that got an NC on Dunlops got far less wear than 8500 miles. Hopefully the GPR-300s give you a better experience.

It is difficult to comment on tire wear as there are so many variables but most of us that got an NC on Dunlops got far less wear than 8500 miles. Hopefully the GPR-300s give you a better experience.
Thanks. The GPR's already have me smiling from ear to ear they make the bike feel like a totally different machine. I'm looking at it this way if I only get 6k out of these I'm ahead of the game for what they cost, my big burg would go through a $220 rear Bridgestone in 5k which is more than what I paid for the front and rear going with the GPR's. Now I can go get the bike inspected and have time to nail down what tire I really want, you never know I may stay with these.

Thanks. The GPR's already have me smiling from ear to ear they make the bike feel like a totally different machine. I'm looking at it this way if I only get 6k out of these I'm ahead of the game for what they cost, my big burg would go through a $220 rear Bridgestone in 5k which is more than what I paid for the front and rear going with the GPR's. Now I can go get the bike inspected and have time to nail down what tire I really want, you never know I may stay with these.
Are you saying the GPRs make the bike feel like a totally different machine compared to back when the Dunlops were new, or compared to the when the Dunlops were worn out? Most people comment that new tires feel better than old worn tires, but that would seem like a given.

As for the way a bike performs and rides on an older higher mileage set of tires vs a brand new set, well, obviously a brand new set will be quite a bit softer and more resilient in all types of riding and road surfaces etc. It's a given. I've owned and have been riding motorcycles for decades and have never paid any attention to the "new tire" warnings that some of you have adhered to for your m/c lives. And that is, a brand new motorcycle tire has some from of releasing of compounds for the molds and rubber chemicals that can make them SERIOUSLY slippery for the first 100 or more miles. If you look it up, you'll find some writeups on that scenario. But, in any case, yep, I have experience with new skins on m/c's and almost no matter the brand or type of tire, they bike almost always handles differently and rides somewhat smoother due to tires being just plain new and softer. As tires age, they loose their resliliency and ability to BE part of the suspension. My new-to-me 2020 NC750X DCT has only 2,300 miles on it and while it was all apart for paint and powder coating of certain parts, I picked up some brand new Shinko 705 series tires. I wanted a tiny bit more aggressive tires on it for my new look and handling than the streeter's that were on it. Anyone want some 2,300 mile tires for an NC?
Scott

Are you saying the GPRs make the bike feel like a totally different machine compared to back when the Dunlops were new, or compared to the when the Dunlops were worn out? Most people comment that new tires feel better than old worn tires, but that would seem like a given.
Yes. My 2020 was a leftover, the bike didn't handle this well when I picked up from the dealership.

Hi Guys
I finally figured out how to get pics up, the old tires have 8500 or so miles on them as you can see the old front tire has some very strange wear on it, partially cupped and partially flat. I check my pressures twice a week and keep the tires at 36 front 42 rear so I am not sure what caused the weird wear on the front and as for the rear tire i expected that type of wear but what I really didn't like about it is the compound seems to be too hard causing the rear to slide if I got to Frisky in a corner. Now for the tire early views, no complaints, they turn in extremely well, ride smoother than the stock shoes and really grip the road 10 times better, in other words they allow this old fart to get very FRISKY. If anyone has any ideas on the old fronts wear the set as a whole being a not to so good street performer please chime in.

View attachment 51823View attachment 51824View attachment 51825

I run my tires at 32/32. at the recommended pressures it was rough terrible ride for my 175 pound body, its more enjoyable now.

Back