• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Arghhhhh

bode61

Reaction score
Visit site
So I decided that last Saturday was going to be my "stay out all day on the bike" day. I got up early and grabbed some breakfast then geared up remembering to also plug in my heated gear as it was going to be chilly. My route was going to take me up and onto the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 50 miles. I live near it so I am no stranger to the sometimes slow tourist drivers and actually enjoy the laid back pace on riding on it. This usually does not bother me as I can always pull into an overlook and chill for a few. I know it is peak leaf season and in the past I have ridden on the BRP during this time with only having to deal with slow pokes (but let me state that in the words of another buddy who also rides a NC700x, I am a law abiding citizen) and do not mind the 45 MPH speed limit for the time on the parkway. Well within the first 10 miles I had 3 separate incidents where cars just pulled right out in front of me without even looking. 2 incidents where in the middle of the road they slam on brakes to stop and look at the scenery. And 1 incident where a SUV was driving 25 in a 45 and when we got to an area where you could legally pass they intentional kept swerving into the passing lane when I started to pass. I finally said to hell with it and got off at the next exit and headed back home.

You ever feel like you were jinxed? I decided that some higher being was telling me to not ride that day so I heeded the signs and put the bike away for the day. On the plus side I did get some nice pictures while I was out on my short hop.

Well, although it is a beautiful time of the year to be out riding be extra careful of others who are not paying attention.

P.S. Another bright note, as I was coming back down into town I came up on a group of 7 Harley riders who very graciously all moved over and waved me by. We are all brothers on the road!

Last edited:
I second that motion to be careful out there. I had a guy yell at me because I was pulling out after my light turned green and he obviously did not understand what the no right turn on red meant. There were elderly people at the crosswalk, I had the right of way and he proceeds to roll down his window and yell at me? I just shook my head and kept in riding. Maybe it has come early this year, but the holiday driving mentality is picking up steam. Be careful everyone!

And 1 incident where a SUV was driving 25 in a 45 and when we got to an area where you could legally pass they intentional kept swerving into the passing lane when I started to pass. I finally said to hell with it and got off at the next exit and headed back home.

This is why some motorcyclist have a couple of quarters taped to there bike somewhere in easy reach. Now I would never advicate tossing a quarter over my shoulder into a motorist windshield, of course. Just sayin'. I need to check my supply of quarters.

I knew folks who would take a pocket full of ball bearings with them on bicycle rides...

My bad ride experience was when I headed out only to find that there was a Harley ride of some sort scheduled on the same stretch of road I wanted to be on... They had plugged up traffic and as such were all just sitting there on the road making noise, creeping up ever closer to one another.
When I go for a ride I don't want to sit and idle my engine, I want to ride.

I turned around and went home as well.

:wet blanket:

I'm thinking more helpful tips and tricks regarding what types of objects ideally suited to throw at car windshields, is best left for a different website please, people. Not to mention the aftermath and resultant road rage escalation possibilities etc., etc.

Not that I don't empathise of course, but y'know. ;)

Thanks LBS! I learned a long time ago to never pick a fight with a cage, which includes throwing things at it, cutting it off or yelling at it. My energy is far to valuable than to waste it on the clueless, stupid or insane! I just motor away knowing I am happy to be on the bike!

There are 2 people - glass half full guy and glass half empty guy. It all depends on your attitude and how you look at things. I try to be the glass half full guy and try not let other things (out of my control) dictate my reaction and what I want to do. I wouldn't let these 3 seemingly random events ruin my day on the bike. Car pulling out everywhere or slowing down to look at scenery are probably a normal occurrences at BRP. Totally understandable. You should probably slow down a bit at congested area and keep a longer following distance. SUV seems to nudge you when you try to pass? He probably didn't see you at all. Just past it in the next pass area and shoot him a dirty look.

Then again, maybe everybody is really trying to YOU.

As much as I try to stick to the road less traveled, the twistier that road is, the more likely you're going to get stuck behind some scared no talent cage driver. Add to that I've been riding with my wife as she gets seat time and develops her riding legs. I'm having to just checkup and be mellow. She's not nearly as aggressive as I can be when it comes to picking off slowpokes. And to that she'll even tell me over the intercom to chill out haha. She knows I'm getting ansty when they won't even use a turn out, and I get a little frustrated knowing I'd just be gone but I'm not going to leave her behind.

So the end result is sometimes I just gotta relax and let myself see what's around me and not focus solely on the ribbon of pavement in front of me. Enjoy the ride.

As for using quarters, ball bearings or whatever.... whenever I read crap like that on the internet I figure it's just keyboard warriors talking trash. But I know it's happened... That crap is for thugs on slow bikes who can't ride. Learn how to ride and just make them disappear in your mirror.... You throw stuff at them today and they're being a dick to me tomorrow for no reason. We don't need cagers being unpredictable due to some wacko experience we weren't even a part of.

I'm an aggressive car driver around stupid or inconsiderate drivers but find I'm more relaxed and less prone to anger on a bike. I worry about the one's I can't see and expect bad driving for those I can anticipate, and try for open roads.

BRP on weekend at peak of fall color season can make L.A. freeways at rush hour look like high speed traffic. And at less than 5mph drivers looking at scenery can't stay in their lane. Tons of other good roads in the area the tourists don't travel. Just ride them, have a good time and avoid the aggravation. No reason to go home and give up.

If you need information on the other roads check out America Rides Maps.

Motorcycle Maps - Blue Ridge Parkway, Smoky Mountains, Georgia Mountains

No better motorcycle map anywhere and they cover the entire BRP area.

Back