• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from Delaware

idealhobbies

Reaction score
Visit site
Good morning, and hello from Milford Delaware. Last Friday (2/16/24) I picked up my brand new 24 NC750 in Salisbury MD. (If you're in the area, the dealer in Salisbury crushed the dealer in Camden, DE by over $1000 out the door) (Don't want to drop names, I figure those who live around here would be able to figure it out) Anyway, it was a COLD 50 mile ride home. YES! Oxford heated grips have been ordered! You can bundle areas, but your hands are always the hardest to layer.

This is not my first bike, I currently have 3 others in the herd, until the springtime sale. I have a Ninja 250 that I love, but must go. A Yamaha Vstar 650 cruiser, and a Ninja 650 that I've tour packed out with a complete Givi set of luggage and a painfully expensive Russell Day Long seat. Why then buy an NC750? Easy to work on. I'm coming up on retirement and those bikes that I have listed are not terrible to work on and maintain... UNTIL.... you get to the Valve clearances.... I wanted a bike that I can do ALL of the general maintenance myself, without having a mechanics bill after I retire and go to a limited budget. Sure, other things happen and a mechanic is needed, but I don't want to have to run to one for general maintenance. SO, the herd will be thinned soon. I did a lot of research prior to buying this bike. I almost bought one last year, but someone bought it while I was "thinking it over". The dealerships around here tend to only get one and then it's over.

I want to thank all those who have posted here over the last couple of years for the great information that lead me to pull the trigger. I have lurked and read this forum for the last few years. I have a pretty good idea what I've bought into. I may pick up a CTX700 down the road for the laid back cruiser ride. I really like my Vstar, but valve checks are painfully close together.....

Thanks,
Allan

Last edited:
What’s the riding like in your area? Never been to Delaware. Welcome aboard!

Honestly, it's kinda boring. For me at least... not a lot of good twisty kind of roads. Delaware is FLAT, with a slight elevation on the northern end by Pennsylvania. There are a few wetlands/nature kinda roads with nice scenery. Most of the beach rides are built up and WAY over developed and crowded, so not a fun ride anymore. Too much traffic. For fun and excitement, I ride over to Maryland or up to Pennsylvania for hills or twisty roads. I always remember the scene in the movie Wayne's World where Mike Meyers says in a bored tone, "I'm in Delaware" Most of my Delaware rides are back road farmlands kind of riding.

Good morning, and hello from Milford Delaware. Last Friday (2/16/24) I picked up my brand new 24 NC750 in Salisbury MD. (If you're in the area, the dealer in Salisbury crushed the dealer in Camden, DE by over $1000 out the door) (Don't want to drop names, I figure those who live around here would be able to figure it out) Anyway, it was a COLD 50 mile ride home. YES! Oxford heated grips have been ordered! You can bundle areas, but your hands are always the hardest to layer.

This is not my first bike, I currently have 3 others in the herd, until the springtime sale. I have a Ninja 250 that I love, but must go. A Yamaha Vstar 650 cruiser, and a Ninja 650 that I've tour packed out with a complete Givi set of luggage and a painfully expensive Russell Day Long seat. Why then buy an NC750? Easy to work on. I'm coming up on retirement and those bikes that I have listed are not terrible to work on and maintain... UNTIL.... you get to the Valve clearances.... I wanted a bike that I can do ALL of the general maintenance myself, without having a mechanics bill after I retire and go to a limited budget. Sure, other things happen and a mechanic is needed, but I don't want to have to run to one for general maintenance. SO, the herd will be thinned soon. I did a lot of research prior to buying this bike. I almost bought one last year, but someone bought it while I was "thinking it over". The dealerships around here tend to only get one and then it's over.

I want to thank all those who have posted here over the last couple of years for the great information that lead me to pull the trigger. I have lurked and read this forum for the last few years. I have a pretty good idea what I've bought into. I may pick up a CTX700 down the road for the laid back cruiser ride. I really like my Vstar, but valve checks are painfully close together.....

Thanks,
Allan
Congratulations on your new bike. I have never had heated grips until this bike and they are WONDERFUL - especially if you’re an old rider like me. can’t wait to ride my Nc750:x in May

Thanks,
Allan
Congrats on the bike and thanks for the very nice intro!

Mike

<- 52 years old

and coming up on retirement?

Just curious, how many miles do you ride a year that you are coming up on all these valve adjustments?

I think with the NC you'll find your biggest maintenance item will be tires lol

I rode with 2 buddies thru Delaware in 2022 (plus Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania and Virginia). Took the Cape May-Lews Ferry from MD to DE across Delaware Bay to collect states 44-47 on my quest to ride through all of the lower 48 states. Got number 48 in 2023 (North Dakota). I was on my CB 1100 though not my NC.

iQd0RhSh.jpg

Last edited:

Just curious, how many miles do you ride a year that you are coming up on all these valve adjustments?

I rode with 2 buddies thru Delaware in 2022 (plus Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania and Virginia). Took the Cape May-Lews Ferry from MD to DE across Delaware Bay to collect states 44-47 on my quest to ride through all of the lower 48 states. Got number 48 in 2023 (North Dakota). I was on my CB 1100 though not my NC.

iQd0RhSh.jpg
I retired at 48 with two pensions and am now in my final career. Public service pensions, started at 21.

I rode with 2 buddies thru Delaware in 2022 (plus Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania and Virginia). Took the Cape May-Lewes Ferry from NJ to DE across Delaware Bay to collect states 44-47 on my quest to ride through all of the lower 48 states. Got number 48 in 2023 (North Dakota). I was on my CB 1100 though not my NC.
For my job, I actually passed the optional retirement time a year and a half ago. Still reporting for duty (sucker), though its getting harder and harder to do so (hate the place these days). The state is discussing changing the medical benefits (down grading as a cost saving measure) for retirees who retire after 1/1/25, so I may be bailing at the end of this year to ensure that I'm locked in.... though I wouldn't put it past them to change it anyway for current retirees.

The vstar 650 valve maintenance interval is only 4000 miles (nuts, but has needed slight adjustment the last 2 times) and with speading the rides around, i'm hitting it every year and a half. Ninja 250 is 7000 (about every 2 years), 650 is 15000, which I am on the first one. I've sunk a ton of money in the vstar, and i like it, but it's got to go, too needy. The 250 is fun, but it's big brother has pretty much replaced it. The NC is going be be simular in ride style to the Ninja 650, so no sense in keeping it. I bought it last year (used but mint) and tried to MAKE it into an NC750 (minus the gas milage) because I couldn't lay my hands on an NC. When I bought the Ninja 650, I had gone to the dealership to buy an NC that they had, and it literally sold on my drive to the dealership. I settled out of frustration I think. When I walked in last week and saw my NC sitting on the floor, I bought it... wait over....

Congrats on your state collecting. I'd love to do that. Out of curiousity... is that a collection from a motorcycle seat or a "i've been to" collection?

For my job, I actually passed the optional retirement time a year and a half ago. Still reporting for duty (sucker), though its getting harder and harder to do so (hate the place these days). The state is discussing changing the medical benefits (down grading as a cost saving measure) for retirees who retire after 1/1/25, so I may be bailing at the end of this year to ensure that I'm locked in.... though I wouldn't put it past them to change it anyway for current retirees.

The vstar 650 valve maintenance interval is only 4000 miles (nuts, but has needed slight adjustment the last 2 times) and with speading the rides around, i'm hitting it every year and a half. Ninja 250 is 7000 (about every 2 years), 650 is 15000, which I am on the first one. I've sunk a ton of money in the vstar, and i like it, but it's got to go, too needy. The 250 is fun, but it's big brother has pretty much replaced it. The NC is going be be simular in ride style to the Ninja 650, so no sense in keeping it. I bought it last year (used but mint) and tried to MAKE it into an NC750 (minus the gas milage) because I couldn't lay my hands on an NC. When I bought the Ninja 650, I had gone to the dealership to buy an NC that they had, and it literally sold on my drive to the dealership. I settled out of frustration I think. When I walked in last week and saw my NC sitting on the floor, I bought it... wait over....

Congrats on your state collecting. I'd love to do that. Out of curiousity... is that a collection from a motorcycle seat or a "i've been to" collection?
They destroyed our benefits. We sued and lost. They said that was only marketing and not an expressed benefit. Only in Chicago.

Back