• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

Doesn't seem right does it if the suspension guys you talked to are saying 14.5. I couldn't see anyone going that much higher and the new spring isn't a mushy as the stock NC.

Hi guys, looking at this thread, I wished I could find all the onfos to order a correct spring for my weight (220) but I still don't know...I already have a Tuono schock and want to order a replacement spring...I'm contacting KFG Racing and I'll be back when I get some news. It's still freaking cold winter here and the NC is in storage for at least 3 or 4 weeks if not more...can't wait to ride it again !

If you go to the RaceTech site you can use there spring rate chart.
Just remember our STOCK shock use's a 14.5-14.95kg/mm spring.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Will the OEM spring fit on the Tuono shock? I'm thinking it would, has anyone tried that? The spring rate was OK for me stock, probably better than the replacement Ohlins spring I'm using now...

trey

I don't know if the stock spring will fit???.
Racetech has springs for the Sachs shock up to 19.0kg/mm I believe .
I'm going with a 17-18 .

If the darn thing wasn't so hard to get the spring on and off I'd give the stock spring a shot. I need to find a better compressor before I mess with it though... and I'm not paying the shop $40 to try ($80 if it doesn't work).

trey

Just go to Tucker Rocky and get a spring compressor for like $25,or go buy the same one on eBay for under $20 ..

I try to follow you guys.
I just orders a tuono shock (3,000 miles on the clock) and a 180 mm long, 12kg/mm spring will follow.
Trying to get a reasonnable dealer for such a spring.

Slight problem, my ohlins reseller ask me about the spring diameter.
WOuld you have the info ?

Dear all,
I went for the same option : Tuono shock + spring replacement (180 mm 12.5 kg/mm).
I supposed that, you guys, could provide us with some feedback about your final settings of the shock ?

I'm maxxed out on the compression/rebound adjuster and it's still not enough. It'll spring all the way to the fully extended position on rolling hills/bumps/heaves pretty easily. Set the preload for your weight, I'm about 3/4 up the collar. It's a good, cheap alternative, but it's not a perfect solution.

trey

Also remember, the condition of the shock and the gas / fluid / valving inside it is a HUGE part in the shocks effectiveness.

An ebay shock may, or May NOT be, be in proper condition.

Mine has an Ohlins spring as defined earlier in the thread, and my compression / rebound is about halfway through its adjustment. And it's great.

That said, I completely rebuilt the internals of the shock with custom valving and new components / gas / oil as well to make it work better.

I did'nt know that the tuono shock was serviceable.
Mine seems in a very good shape too. The seller claimed that it was used for less than 3,000 miles before getting removed from the bike.
After I removed the spring, i had a close look. It actually does not leak and the hydraulic adjustment screw looks pretty responsive.
I have the feeling that , with 30 clicks in, the hydraulics is a bit too tight. I wondered whether it was just my feeling. Happy to see that we had the same feeling.. even if our shocks are probably different now.

Last edited:
Dear all,
I went for the same option : Tuono shock + spring replacement (180 mm 12.5 kg/mm).
I supposed that, you guys, could provide us with some feedback about your final settings of the shock ?

See post #118. The shock was a huge improvement for me. The 180mm X 120nm spring with work perfect for riders up too 200lbs and for my weight (175lbs) my sage numbers are perfect. Don't forget the static sage, this will tell you if you have the correct spring.

Back