• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

Mr UPS was waiting for me today and handed me these !!.
8d57c97d520b8692c275683c783adec0.jpg

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

I spent $40 for the shock,$125 for the spring and $140 for the fork springs.
And I was able to specify the front and rear spring rates.

I spent $40 for the shock,$125 for the spring and $140 for the fork springs.
And I was able to specify the front and rear spring rates.

Where did you get the spring at? I'm essentially your size and my rear end is starting to feel every bump. Was this a hard job to complete? The shocks that I am able to find are much more expensive than yours. No CL luck for me.

Thanks!

I bought the spring from racetech ,they have rates from 8kg/mm up to 20kg/mm.the stock NC rate is about 14.91kg/mm,I went with 19kg/mm because they didn't have a 17 or 18 in stock.
The hardest part was getting the stock shock off because the bolts were soooooo tight.I bought a set of spring compressors from EBay for $25 but you can also get them from Rocky Mountain ATV ( TUSK brand ) for a bit more .

Last edited:
Thanks!

Looks like I'll be calling a few shops in town trying to find a used shock. I can only find one on ebay currently :(.

Again, Thanks!

Go on the Aprilia forums,the guy I bought mine from told me that it's a popular swap to put RSV shocks on the Touno.There for the Touno shocks are cheap !!.

My feedback after 2000 km with my Tuono/Sachs swap. FYI, I also put the emulators from race tech in the fork tubes.
It really changes the way the bike operates. I spent some time tweaking the hydraulics screw. I finally concluded that , my personnal best was to set the adjustment right in the middle, fully screwed minus 20 clicks . I put a 12.5 kg/mm spring, which is slightly on the soft side for my weight (85 kg), but I do appreciate that softness. What is not fully adjusted yet is the preload collar. I probably need to screw the collar a little more.
The emulators are certainly a must . What I like specially is the improvement in fast compression situations.
In conclusion, certainly a slight adjustement on the shock preload collar to be done but I'm extremely happy with the mods.

I will install my new front springs tomorrow,maybe emulators at the end of the summer.So far I love the shock,the heavy spring doesn't seem to affect the operation of the shock and there is No bottoming !!.

New front springs are in !!
Wow what a difference ..
Front of the bike sits 1.5-2" higher now and really firm.The new springs were about 2" shorter so I made the spacer 2" longer,might shorten it up a bit !!.

my $0.02, I calculated the rear spring rate. note, it is higher than the number quoted earlier in this thread:

I got the following number off of the stock 2013 NC700X rear shock and spring:

spring installed on shock, max length (min preload): 231mm or 9 1/8"; min length (max preload): 220mm or 8 5/8"
shock travel (to the rubber bumper, rubber not compressed): 31mm or 1 9/16"
shock length center of eye to center of eye: 311 mm or 12 1/4"
spring #'s
free length: 9.5" or 242mm
number of free coils: 6.125
OD: 2.983"-3.073
ID: 1.979"-2.066
coil diameter center to center, average: 2.575
wire diameter: .50
put these into F650 Spring Rate Claculator FAQ
and the stock rate comes out to 878 pounds per inch or 15.7 kg/mm or 154 N/mm

Last edited:
Tuono shock arrived, and I tore into it. Removed the spring, and made some measurements. Unfortunately, I left them in my log book out at the garage, and I'm at work. I'll post later. I do have a couple of pictures. I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but this thread included many discussions about spring length. I found an interesting feature of the Sachs shock, it has a collar on the shock shaft, that can go either under or over the split spring retaining collar. This gives even more range of spring lengths that would otherwise be afforded by the Sachs generous adjuster thread.

IMG_1582.jpg

I'm installing some adjustable lowering links at the same time as the shock, so I wanted to see exactly how much lowering you could do without the tire rubbing something. I reassembled the shock and linkage into the bike, but without the spring. I pulled the chain adjusters all the way back and moved the wheel all the way forward. Using a 8' length of 2x4, I levered the wheel assy up until the shock body hit the rubber bumper. Assuming I'd get some compression of the rubber bumper under hard bottoming, I made sure I could get a fat piece of rope between the tire and the inner fender. Here is the setup. I'll report the length of the lowering link I finally end up with (once I get to my log book...)
IMG_1583.jpg

Last edited:
I'm installing some adjustable lowering links at the same time as the shock, so I wanted to see exactly how much lowering you could do without the tire rubbing something. I reassembled the shock and linkage into the bike, but without the spring. I pulled the chain adjusters all the way back and moved the wheel all the way forward. Using a 8' length of 2x4, I levered the wheel assy up until the shock body hit the rubber bumper. Assuming I'd get some compression of the rubber bumper under hard bottoming, I made sure I could get a fat piece of rope between the tire and the inner fender. Here is the setup. I'll report the length of the lowering link I finally end up with (once I get to my log book...)
View attachment 25467

That is scary looking.

went with an 1100# spring (white) that I had on the shelf. Does not seem too stiff.

IMG_1584.jpg

with lowering links and forks slid up 19mm, seat now about 30-31" off ground.

IMG_1585.jpg

Back