• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
replaced the water pump O-rings and gaskets to fix a small leak that had developed and winterized (switched to cold weather windshield and handguards).

Also (finally) replaced the right-hand handlebar weight-B, rubbers, & retainer to resolve a bend (from an offroad drop a while back):).

Will probably change rear tire (Shinko E705 to Michelin Anakee Adventure) this next weekend. Been real happy with Shinko, have almost 6,500 miles including completing the Mid-Atlantic BDR (2k round trip) back in June.

replaced the water pump O-rings and gaskets to fix a small leak that had developed and winterized (switched to cold weather windshield and handguards).

Also (finally) replaced the right-hand handlebar weight-B, rubbers, & retainer to resolve a bend (from an offroad drop a while back):).

Will probably change rear tire (Shinko E705 to Michelin Anakee Adventure) this next weekend. Been real happy with Shinko, have almost 6,500 miles including completing the Mid-Atlantic BDR (2k round trip) back in June.
I assume you removed the water pump to replace the o-rings; is that true? Did you have any difficulty getting the pump bolts out? A member or two in the past reported they could not easily remove one pump bolt because of interference with the frame.

The Roadsmart 3 was a decent tire and has become a solid value option. The Roadsmart 4 is dramatically superior; easier to install, lighter turn-in, superior grip on any surface and outstanding wear. The RS4 is still the best handling tire at the wear bars I've ever ridden. No small feat. I have burned through 3 sets of them on the NC750x and I am beyond impressed how their performance never drops off.

I would certainly go for a RS4 if it was available in the 15" size. However like with Michelin, the 15" size is the poor relation when it comes to the latest tyres in the respective ranges. In the Dunlop only a RS3 is available and in Michelin only the PR4.

I had bought a collapsible fishing rod the other day. Put a reel on it and strapped it to the pillion seat and went fishing. Caught 2 blackbass. Released them. Nice to do 2 hobbies at the same time
View attachment 50750
The bass down here can get a lot larger than they do in our midwestern states. Saw the biggest bass of my life in the pond in my neighborhood. Must have been 10 pounds.

The bass down here can get a lot larger than they do in our midwestern states. Saw the biggest bass of my life in the pond in my neighborhood. Must have been 10 pounds.
Yep, but I was happy with what I caught. My first fish ever caught in Florida. Fishing in Florida is different than farm ponds in Indiana, even when fishing for same species. Keeping the rod strapped on the bike so if air see a spot, stopping to throw a lure.

Yep, but I was happy with what I caught. My first fish ever caught in Florida. Fishing in Florida is different than farm ponds in Indiana, even when fishing for same species. Keeping the rod strapped on the bike so if air see a spot, stopping to throw a lure.
Agreed! Gulf fishing is challenging too!

Went for a short ride to placerville than up to Georgetown via garden valley and back today. My favorite roads ( Wentworth springs to Ice house and Sonora , ebbetts and monitor passes are done for the winter :(( and ski resorts are gearing up for opening

I assume you removed the water pump to replace the o-rings; is that true? Did you have any difficulty getting the pump bolts out? A member or two in the past reported they could not easily remove one pump bolt because of interference with the frame.
Agree, it's not 'easily' done but very doable with a little finesse & patience. Keep in mind when viewing pics that they were taken after reinstalling my Givi guard, of course. The first two pics denote the liquid flow (leak).

Obviously, the overall design pushes you to remove the pump with the engine pulled, or at least released from frame mounts so you can shift the engine to allow for removal of the assembled pump unit. However, I'm accustomed to dismantling things anyway (a learn as you go approach) and only after having everything off did I realize that the center bolt (blue arrow in pic) is not a mounting bolt but the bolt that holds all the pump parts together (pump, cover, gaskets & plate). Frankly, not knowing this probably saved me a bunch of wasted time trying to pull as a whole.

Even with this dismantled approach, the top & bottom bolts (red circles in pictures) cannot be removed without finesse & patience. I was able to remove them by using a multi-step approach - dethreading these bolts from the engine, so that I could pull the pump from engine and then turn it every so slightly allowing me to turn (thread) the bolts out of the loosened pump/cover assembly, you will not be able to pull the bolts out without harming either threads or mounting holes. Of course, do the opposite steps to re-install but being even more careful not to unseat gaskets or o-rings.

If you find yourself getting frustrated, best to walk away and come back to it after calming down.

Attachments

• IMG_20221029-Oring leak path.jpg
    IMG_20221029-Oring leak path.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20221029-ORing leak path2.jpg
    IMG_20221029-ORing leak path2.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20221102-bottom & center bolt.jpg
    IMG_20221102-bottom & center bolt.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20221102-post repair.jpg
    IMG_20221102-post repair.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20221102-top bolt.jpg
    IMG_20221102-top bolt.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
I haven't ridden the NCX for months, apart from maybe one(?) across-the-neighborhood jaunt. It wouldn't fire on Friday. It cranked just fine, but gave zero hint of fire. Saturday AM I had some cheapie starting fluid I tried to get into the intake snorkel, and again it cranked like normal but showed no degree of fire for a fair few cranks, then suddenly started like normal. No 'starting fluid noises,' so I don't think that had anything to do with it. Maybe the injector didn't want to fire, or the fuel 'rail' was empty or something (though I cycled the key several times both days before cranking, to let the fuel pump run and pressurize everything.

Anyway, with it running perfectly normally and everything apparently fine, I changed over to the Madstad windshield and took it out Saturday for a ride to Alamo Lake with friends. It was very pleasant, apart from it taking far longer than our trip planner had estimated. That meant I was quite cold when I got home, but nothing major. I must've hit the horn button half a dozen times when reaching for the blinkers. The K1600 has the horn and blinker buttons in the 'correct' place, which is the place Honda used to also put them, and that's what I've become used to again. Hopefully not too many people were confused by the brief honks where there wasn't any apparent reason for them.

IMG_2649.jpeg

When Honda made the t/s horn switch in 2014, I put a 2013 switch on my 2014 CB 1100 so it would be the same as my ST 1300 and eventually my FJR. Then when I traded the FJR in on the NC, I put the 2014 switch back on the CB so they would be the same again. No more hitting the horn to turn, or turning on the t/s to warn people.

I never understood why Honda made the change in the first place?????

Reactions: MZ5
Last week the bike went in for it's annual inspection. The service manager and I had a discussion on the amount of usable tread remaining on the tire. I lost and I replaced the front tire with the same tire, another Michelin Road 5.
I installed a pair of R-Gaza crash bars on the bike on Wednesday.
On Friday I did the grocery shopping on the NC750X. I used the Givi V37 pannier liners as my shopping bags. Everything fit in the two liners except the gallon of milk which went in the frunk with room to spare.
On Saturday my wife messaged me reminding me to pick up some beer on the way home from our club ride. I picked up two six packs (12 oz cans) of Bell's pilsner. They fit in the frunk along with a long sleeve turtleneck, a pair of mid weight gauntlet gloves, a baseball hat, the EZ pass, and a 24 oz water bottle. Closed the lid no problem. Had the beer that evening while watching Notre Dame beat #4 Clemson. Go Irish!
The bike's odometer ticked over 15,000 miles while on Saturday's ride.

I haven't ridden the NCX for months, apart from maybe one(?) across-the-neighborhood jaunt. It wouldn't fire on Friday. It cranked just fine, but gave zero hint of fire. Saturday AM I had some cheapie starting fluid I tried to get into the intake snorkel, and again it cranked like normal but showed no degree of fire for a fair few cranks, then suddenly started like normal. No 'starting fluid noises,' so I don't think that had anything to do with it. Maybe the injector didn't want to fire, or the fuel 'rail' was empty or something (though I cycled the key several times both days before cranking, to let the fuel pump run and pressurize everything.

Anyway, with it running perfectly normally and everything apparently fine, I changed over to the Madstad windshield and took it out Saturday for a ride to Alamo Lake with friends. It was very pleasant, apart from it taking far longer than our trip planner had estimated. That meant I was quite cold when I got home, but nothing major. I must've hit the horn button half a dozen times when reaching for the blinkers. The K1600 has the horn and blinker buttons in the 'correct' place, which is the place Honda used to also put them, and that's what I've become used to again. Hopefully not too many people were confused by the brief honks where there wasn't any apparent reason for them.

View attachment 50788
I have also had the unintended honk when going for the blinker….:D
I though it was just me!
:p

• Haha
Reactions: MZ5
Nothing today. TS Nicole is blanketing our area with wind and lot of rain. No power most of the morning, but if a butterfly sneezes, we lose power around here.

I love ridding’ and fishin’
Yea, me too. After 17 hours power came back on. Amazes me that typical wind and rain in Indiana shuts down infrastructure here. Wind was less than 20 mph with gusts now and then to 35 mph....did get a lot of rain, about 4 inches but we needed it...don't live near any creeks, rivers, marsh or coast so no flooding. Got a part time job now and next day off is Tuesday. Can't ride to work as no place at work to store my atgatt and don't have enough luggage on bike to store it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back