• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swapped out the 17 tooth front sprocket for the 16 tooth.
Was the 17 tooth too much? I went with a 41 tooth on the rear and when I had a 160/70 rear tire it was a bit low. Using the std. 160/60 rear and 16/41 suits me just fine

41 miles of cold, windy and salty ride today on the NC.

We got 2 inches of snow Friday night into Saturday morning, enough that the grandkids were able to snowboard down the hill in my backyard. It only got up to around 24 degrees yesterday, however, the roads were warm and it didn't stick to my driveway or street. I didn't ride yesterday out of an abundance of caution figuring overpasses could be slick, but it got above freezing today and the sun was out so it was time to ride. Out on the public roads they must have thought a blizzard was coming considering the amount of salt they had put down. Geezalou, the roads were stained white!

I haven’t ridden a motorcycle for about 6 weeks due to my engaging in other activities instead. However, today was dry and had temperatures in the 50s F. I took rides on both the NC and the CRF. It sure was nice to be back. Of course, both machines operated flawlessly, even after their brief rest period.

Got home from work today and it was 72'F at the house....I decided to change out my OEM spark plugs now with 63,553 miles (not KMS) on the ODO...
It took about 20 minutes start to finish, not too bad for a non-mechanic. Spark plug caps was the hardest part-getting them to come off, but I had bought a spark plug cap removal tool and with a snug pull, they popped off.
Before removing the spark plug caps, I started the bike and let it run for 3 minutes.
My gas mileage on the plugs is still around 64-65mpg running 70mph on the superslab with the old plugs (and I still have the OEM air filter-which I am going to tackle this weekend if the temps stay above 60'F).
I was asked to measure the gap on the old plugs...well, the OEM plugs are iridium....I measured the new plugs and they were 1.02mm......the old plugs were at 1.02 mm using my wire gauges (same as I use to check the valve clearances)....so the gap didnt change, but there were carbon build up. Sorry the pics are not better, my cheapo cell phone takes terrible pictures. The top picture is new on the left and the old plug on the right.
Bottom pic is the old left plug on the top, and the old right on the bottom. After installing the plugs, started the bike and I did notice a difference of the engine sound, could be my imagination though....smootherIMG_20220315_173930[1].jpg
IMG_20220315_174550[1].jpg

Last edited:
After I changed the plugs, I recorded the change, date, mileage in a little notebook I keep in the frunk.
I couldnt remember at what mileage I had changed the front tire.....To my amazement, it was at 43,510 miles.
So at 20,000 miles on the front tire, it looks like this: The tire looks better in person than on my crappy phone..The wear bars are not even showing in the middle yet...
Oh, the tires I run are Shinko Ravens... Wish I could get that out of the rear shinko...only get about 8,000-9000 miles on the rear tires...currently have 7000 miles on the rear and the wear bars are starting to barely show...pardon the mess....I havent done spring cleaning in the shed yet...
IMG_20220315_180753[1].jpg

Wow thats a lot of miles on a tire these days.

Did you have 63,000 miles on the plugs and air cleaner or were they chanbed at some time previously?

Got home from work today and it was 72'F at the house....I decided to change out my OEM spark plugs now with 63,553 miles (not KMS) on the ODO...
It took about 20 minutes start to finish, not too bad for a non-mechanic. Spark plug caps was the hardest part-getting them to come off, but I had bought a spark plug cap removal tool and with a snug pull, they popped off.
Before removing the spark plug caps, I started the bike and let it run for 3 minutes.
My gas mileage on the plugs is still around 64-65mpg running 70mph on the superslab with the old plugs (and I still have the OEM air filter-which I am going to tackle this weekend if the temps stay above 60'F).
I was asked to measure the gap on the old plugs...well, the OEM plugs are iridium....I measured the new plugs and they were 1.02mm......the old plugs were at 1.02 mm using my wire gauges (same as I use to check the valve clearances)....so the gap didnt change, but there were carbon build up. Sorry the pics are not better, my cheapo cell phone takes terrible pictures. The top picture is new on the left and the old plug on the right.
Bottom pic is the old left plug on the top, and the old right on the bottom. After installing the plugs, started the bike and I did notice a difference of the engine sound, could be my imagination though....smootherView attachment 48609
View attachment 48610
Thank you for reporting your spark plug change results. That gives me confidence in my plan. I’m still running my original NC plugs at 58,000 miles. My plan was to remove them at 64,000 miles, then install a used pair of plugs I got from Beemerphile that have only 29,000 miles on them. I figured I could run those until the bike gets to 100,000 miles.

Last edited:
After I changed the plugs, I recorded the change, date, mileage in a little notebook I keep in the frunk.
I couldnt remember at what mileage I had changed the front tire.....To my amazement, it was at 43,510 miles.
So at 20,000 miles on the front tire, it looks like this: The tire looks better in person than on my crappy phone..The wear bars are not even showing in the middle yet...
Oh, the tires I run are Shinko Ravens... Wish I could get that out of the rear shinko...only get about 8,000-9000 miles on the rear tires...currently have 7000 miles on the rear and the wear bars are starting to barely show...pardon the mess....I havent done spring cleaning in the shed yet...
View attachment 48611
The Shinko Raven is my favorite front tire. On my last one, I had to change it at 18,000 miles because the side tread was worn from twisties riding. The center tread still had a couple thousand miles remaining life. They wore evenly, without cupping or profile change; still handled great at end of life.

Thank you for reporting your spark plug change results. That gives me confidence in my plan. I’m still running my original NC plugs at 58,000 miles. My plan was to remove them at 64,000 miles, then install a used pair of plugs I got from Beemerphile that only have 29,000 miles on them. I figured I could run those until the bike gets to 100,000 miles.
Iridiums are much better plugs than the non-iridiums...My 2015 Prius C has iridium plugs, I have 119,000+ miles on the OEM iridium plugs on them and the past 2 days, I have average 58mpg (and 60 of my 76 round trip miles to work and back is Interstate-I only run 65-68mph to and from work on the superslab)...I do need to change them though (supposed to change them at 100,000 miles). The plugs from the NC700 did have carbon buildup on the top thingy (dont know the name of it). However, the iridium tip and the white casing around it doesn't have any carbon buildup. I am keeping the OEM plugs out of the NC700 as a backup....I am sure they can go 100,000 miles (almost the same plugs in my Prius C). The Prius C only has a 1.5 L engine in it, but the little car only weighs 2000lbs.

Iridiums are much better plugs than the non-iridiums...My 2015 Prius C has iridium plugs, I have 119,000+ miles on the OEM iridium plugs on them and the past 2 days, I have average 58mpg (and 60 of my 76 round trip miles to work and back is Interstate-I only run 65-68mph to and from work on the superslab)...I do need to change them though (supposed to change them at 100,000 miles). The plugs from the NC700 did have carbon buildup on the top thingy (dont know the name of it). However, the iridium tip and the white casing around it doesn't have any carbon buildup. I am keeping the OEM plugs out of the NC700 as a backup....I am sure they can go 100,000 miles (almost the same plugs in my Prius C). The Prius C only has a 1.5 L engine in it, but the little car only weighs 2000lbs.
The Prius C getting 58 mpg puts many motorcycles to shame. Plus, the car has weather protection, climate control, and room for passenger(s). I wish plug-in hybrid motorcycles were available, but the poor aerodymics of the typical motorcycle is always going to be a fuel efficiency challenge.

Bottom pic is the old left plug on the top, and the old right on the bottom. After installing the plugs, started the bike and I did notice a difference of the engine sound, could be my imagination though....smootherView attachment 48609
View attachment 48610

Good to know the plugs will last that long. I think there are similar in my Strom (25,000Km) so they will be left in for high mileage too. It operates at similar revs to my X-Adv albeit in a bigger combustion chamber, so I assume wear rates should be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back