• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plan for the day is to go from San Diego to LA. May go through Escondido. If anyone on the way wants to meet for coffee text or Whatsapp me at 778-668-1203.
Should be hosted in LA if things go as planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed a madstad, 22", light gray. I am 6'3", but I have a long torso.

Installlation was not hard. I put the brackets on backwards at first and puzzled over which way to mount the deflectors for a bit. Other than that no real problems.

It was too windy to really know how to adjust the windshield. I set it at the lowest setting and the recommended tilt, 60 degrees.
Worked great! I rode a few miles without earplugs to get a feel for it. The wind seemed to be just lightly brushing the top of the helmet when I sat up very straight, and missing me completely if I leaned slightly.

The engine seemed loud, but I think that is because I don't have as much wind noise. I notice the same thing when I put the windshield on my drz 400 for the winter. I guess it is possible the windshield is reflecting some engine noise back at me, but I doubt it.

A well engineered product.

The windshield does just touch the mirror stem on one side and the handguard on the other at full turn.

The only other problem was that they sent me two of the same brackets originally,

IMG_1804.jpgand then some bracket from another bike, so the process took a bit longer than expected, but I did get the right parts eventually.

Almost just lost my back wheel...
0d8b817dcec8d54a6c5d974c669bbcfe.jpg
09156d9a1d36c8842a178feafd575330.jpg

Almost just lost my back wheel...

I've long been skeptical of that axle lock nut without a cotter pin. Now I have genuine reason to be concerned. I'm sure glad your "almost just lost my back wheel" didn't turn in to an actual loss.

I've long been skeptical of that axle lock nut without a cotter pin. Now I have genuine reason to be concerned. I'm sure glad your "almost just lost my back wheel" didn't turn in to an actual loss.

Yet I think I'm the guilty one. I probably didn't give it the proper torque when I changed my tires before the trip. This said I'm also glad this didn't happen at 75mph on my the highway. I felt the bike wobble but I was riding at less than 40mph... and I stopped very shortly after...

Still your point is totally valid...

We should all do a pre ride inspection. If one made a routine it would be less than a couple minutes to check that peices were not falling off. I left my house this summer with only one foot peg now that is one part you miss very quickly. I think a tire pressure monitor system is a good idea. Congrats on your trip so far you are on the home stretch now, I bet you are ready for your own bed.

woah. even there: loctite or liquid plastic/rubber?
Putting Loctite on the axle bolt would affect the torque setting needed to properly tighten the fastener, would it not? I would not know how to calculate a new value, if it even could be done.

Glad to hear it didn't end badly. Yeah I over torqued the nut and fubared the rear bolt and nut, using a wrench and half inch ratchet. So yeah don't just tighten then until you think it's right, get a torque wrench. The rear bolt and nut are bound together at the moment but I'm going to have to use a large impact driver to remove them. Tried removing them with the same wrench and ratchet and it's going to break something before they cone off. Parts are supposed to come in a week. The bolt is on back order.

Putting Loctite on the axle bolt would affect the torque setting needed to properly tighten the fastener, would it not? I would not know how to calculate a new value, if it even could be done.

I'm talking about painting outside the nut, near/at the end of the bolt which is why i mentioned plastidip too

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm talking about painting outside the nut, near/at the end of the bolt which is why i mentioned plastidip too
I think I follow that. How about just a thin line from the bolt through part of the the swing arm? If the bolt were to loosen again, you would easily be able to see that the lines don't connect. The same would apply to the front axle.

I did something similar when I replaced my chain for the first time. Two white dots on the rivet master link made it easy to spot. In that case I was concerned that it might loosen so I measured it every few hundred miles or when I lubed the chain.

I think I follow that. How about just a thin line from the bolt through part of the the swing arm? If the bolt were to loosen again, you would easily be able to see that the lines don't connect. The same would apply to the front axle.

Well, I've liberally applied Loctite before in a few places just to dissuade a nut from wandering/spinning outward, it seems to work. Not quite a ssfety wire but -- ; }

Took my last ride, I called and cancelled the collision and liability insurance for the winter.
Bike is now covered in the garage and on the charger. Total of 9,018 miles my first year. :)

mine's always on the maintainer (set it up with the cord hanging down over the parking spot in the shed) when it starts getting cooler. i might get a ride in here and there on the NC, defo on the wr

One thing you could do (if you can get to the threads post tightening) is to use loctite after torquing the bolt down. You add the loctite close to the screw threads as possible, & capillary action hopefully will draw it into the join. A bit of a belt and suspenders solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back