• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put 175 break in miles on my new ((leftover) RED! 2014 NC700XD running around middle Georgia today, 228 mile total. Still learning to trust the DCT will be in the right gear to accelerate after slowing for a sharp turn. Also finding that either I have been around unusually slow car drivers or the DCT accelerates from a stop more briskly than I expected. Maybe that's part of the reason I only got 58.6 mpg on my ride today. Stopped by Triumph of Byron (GA) to check out the new Speed Twin. Very nice and hard to explain why but it looks more right to me than the original "new Bonneville". Getting tempted to trade in my CB500XA for one of those.

Checked out the new Indian dealership a couple towns over. Really nice bikes, but a bit spendy. Got my Leo Vince exhaust delivered today. I installed and rode first with, then without the silencer. Made my ears ring without, so I put the silencer back in.

I find that the XD is quick off the line, but the mileage is not as good as the manual. I have to stay under 65 to get mileage in the 60's.

I get about 5mpg less in the DCT version than in my previous manual. It's also winter, so my DCT mileage may go up slightly as it gets warmer.

My mpg always drops in the winter. (I don't consider 40° Fahrenheit or more winter riding.) When its cold my rides are faster and short.
That takes a toll on mileage. Not counting the efficiency loss from engine starting at 0° instead of 75°.
I don't mess around when the temperature is 0°. I'm on a mission to get home or to work. I tend to ride a lot slower and smell the roses when it's warm out.

I rode that dude 200 miles today of which 12 was unpaved road to see twin arches here in East TN. And walked about 1.4 miles from the parking lot to actually see the arches. Hope you all enjoyed your NC as much as I did today.

Rode my NC to the local Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha dealer last Saturday to look for some accessories. As I was removing my safety gear I was approached by a guy in the parking lot and I ended up giving him a 10 minute tour and sales pitch of my NC. He loved the frunk and the OEM saddle bags and top case.

I fitted a new air filter today after 33,000Kms. Tbh it was not as dirty as I expected it to be and that coincides with my feeling that petrol consumption hadn't dropped much. I must admit that it was a lot easier to do than the one time when I changed the air filter on my previous GL1800 :D. That took me several hours !

That more or less concludes the number of jobs/mods I had to do to this much loved motorcycle of late (apart from a good cleaning), so I can now get on with travelling the country on it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got new Shinko's yesterday and spun them around the neighborhood 2up.
They were little too viby. So today, took her up the mountain on some nice gravel.
It's about 80 miles to the area on pavement, by the time I hit gravel, got used to
the new tires. I think the Shinko's make my bike lazy. When leaning thru curves,
she refuses to get up on her own after the turn. On twisty pavement she now
gives me a subtle workout where I have to lean her over and then countersteer to
get her up.
On the gravel/dirt the Shinko's performed like a Champ. I think I am going to
like my bike even more end of the month when I take her to MMM.
She's ready, but I am not sure I am- still deciding on which tracks to ride;
there are so many I haven't been.

I rode to Jopin today to buy a part for my sons bicycle. I was getting ready to leave and a fellow advrider saw my NCX and stopped to chat.
Found out he owns a TW200, some Honda scooters and a BMW street bike. So I have a new highway and trail riding partner. He noticed all the accessories on my bike and commented how much money that I had in the NCX. He asked if I would buy the bike again and I told him definitely.
Two hours later, we went our separate ways and the temperature felt like it dropped 10°. Thank God for electric gear.
You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

Got new Shinko's yesterday and spun them around the neighborhood 2up.
They were little too viby. So today, took her up the mountain on some nice gravel.
It's about 80 miles to the area on pavement, by the time I hit gravel, got used to
the new tires. I think the Shinko's make my bike lazy. When leaning thru curves,
she refuses to get up on her own after the turn. On twisty pavement she now
gives me a subtle workout where I have to lean her over and then countersteer to
get her up.
On the gravel/dirt the Shinko's performed like a Champ. I think I am going to
like my bike even more end of the month when I take her to MMM.
She's ready, but I am not sure I am- still deciding on which tracks to ride;
there are so many I haven't been.

My exact impressions after a few rides on pavement, not my favorite. But, keep wearing them in. After 500-600 miles they really smooth out and perform great. They're not PR4 smooth, but night and day from when new.

trey

I've been ridin' in the rain for so many weeks, I forgot how much fun it is to ride on dry pavement. The dry commute today was awesome !!
>T

Yesterday was my first day off without rain in a long time, and I got out to explore a couple of roads that are said to be among the best in Oregon. Highway 47 and 202 took me out to Astoria, Highway 101 to Tillamook, and Highway 6 back. If you're in Oregon and need a good loop to ride, it's worth it
d6ee046653f1484c273b90547dccf4fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back