• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to work. Came about 50 meters and thought that the bike felt really weird. Checked my front tire, it was okay but my rear had a flat. So back to the garage. Luckily my father is awesome so he's coming to pick me up and drive me to work. (I work for him.) Probably going to pick it up with the van at work later today and take it to a tireshop.
WP_20150512_06_33_14_Pro.jpg

Installed new Knight Design pegs... more than an inch lower

Don't the pegs scrape when even thinking about going around a corner? I have huge problems with mine scraping all the time, and neither the bike nor the pegs are lowered.

I Installed a chain oiler today, no fancy electrical one but one that is power by my hand. You just twist the little metal container and oil drips onto the chain for 3 minutes per 1/4 turn.
thumb_IMG_2831_1024.jpg

There are a few drawbacks though, the first being that a LOT of oil lands on the rim, making it icky and sticky and a b****h to . Secondly, everything smells of oil.
I won't call it a drawback, but the system uses transmission oil as recomended by the Honda owner's manual, but I may just use normal chain lube down the road. The system takes any viscous liquid. With there only being one tube transferring oil onto the chain, a lot of the chain seems to no get any. If anyone has tips on where the oil need to go to spead evenly, please tell me!
thumb_IMG_2832_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Don't the pegs scrape when even thinking about going around a corner? I have huge problems with mine scraping all the time, and neither the bike nor the pegs are lowered.

You do lose a little clearance with the Knight Design Off-road pegs as compared to the nub on the stock pegs but not much. Maybe 1 cm. Hasn't been an issue for me. I don't push the bike as hard with off-road tires as I did with pure street tires. I ran the MFW Vario 30mm drop pegs which are ~2(cm) lower than the stock nubs and did scrape them but still only had 1/2inch chicken strips.

I Installed a chain oiler today, no fancy electrical one but one that is power by my hand. You just twist the little metal container and oil drips onto the chain for 3 minutes per 1/4 turn.
There are a few drawbacks though, the first being that a LOT of oil lands on the rim, making it icky and sticky and a b****h to . Secondly, everything smells of oil.
I won't call it a drawback, but the system uses transmission oil as recomended by the Honda owner's manual, but I may just use normal chain lube down the road. The system takes any viscous liquid. With there only being one tube transferring oil onto the chain, a lot of the chain seems to no get any. If anyone has tips on where the oil need to go to spead evenly, please tell me!

First question: How much do you weigh and is your rear suspension set up for your riding weight with gear on?
Second question: Is the bike moving when you are applying oil?

That's a Cobrra Nemo 2 chain oiler. this place in the US has them:

Wheels and Wings, LLC US Importer of WILBERS Shocks for Motorcycles and Sportscars by HermanUSA - Cobrra Biker Products

First question: How much do you weigh and is your rear suspension set up for your riding weight with gear on?
Second question: Is the bike moving when you are applying oil?

176 Pounds and I have done nothing with the suspension preload, and I don't know how to adjust it properly anyway. :( It's set to what it was when the bike came out of the crate and my dealer assebled it, which is like 1/4 way from the top.

And yes, the bike is moving when applying oil, which obveously flings of most of the oil into the rim. Next time i'll probalby just let it oil itself when it's idling in gear.

Got a new tire mounted today. I got the Michelin pilot road 4 since they had that in stock and i could get it mounted today :)

I did nothing with it today. However I went off on a 660km round trip yesterday taking some photos for a Photo Rally that I do annually. I was travelling with two friends on a Varadero and an RT1200. The NC was not lacking much except on passing power a couple of times when we were facing into a strong wind. However it otherwise put up a sterling performance.

When we were filling up at the start of the day one of my friends asked "does that thing really do 70mpg" ? I sense that most folks do not really believe the excellent MPG on a bike that performs as well as the NC does, and that still cruises easily at 80mph on motorways etc. With that in mind I recorded the petrol purchased at the next fill. It used 9.75 litres for 280Kms. That equates to 2.144 Imperial gallons for 174 miles. I asked one of my friends to do the math on his smart phone. He had seen me fill up. The result was 81mpg. Jaws dropped all round, even mine ! We had been clipping along at a decent pace all day but we had not at that point turned directly into the wind for the journey home. Nobody got away from me as long as the roads were twisty and even when they did, it didn't take me long to catch up. As a result, no allowances were made for the fact that the NC only had half the HP that they had.

Here are a couple of photos from the days trip. The river showing behind the old building on one of the photos is the Boyne, famous (or infamous) for the Battle that was fought on its banks, the outcome of which affects the history and politics/religion of my country to the present day.

P1030979_1_1.jpg

P1030987_2_1.jpg

Incidentally, I was still very fresh at the end of the trip, having started out at 8.30am and returning at 19.00pm. We had some rain at the start, and strong winds throughout the day. However I felt that I could easily have carried on at least another 100km if required. I am not sure if the seat on my Triumph Explorer would have been as kind to me. In conclusion I now have to say that the NC is rapidly becoming my best long distance motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took an evening ride to enjoy the weather and smell the Honeysuckle.

a0a1438a3dace33079b7c2254f308494.jpg

View attachment 24141

View attachment 24142
From my experience it looks like your placement of the oil tubing is ok. I'm using 90W gear oil in my set up, yeah I get some on the wheel but not enough to worry about. It took a while to get used to using the oiler and get the right amount of oil applied.

Here's a link to the thread for what I'm using. http://nc700-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6379

I only push my button for oil about once every 100 miles. Seems to work ok, with minimal oil on the rim. It cleans up easily with WD-40.

Video from last week's ride around the Wolf Pen Rec Area

Love your videos :cool: That mud looked like a sticky/slippery mess for sure, heh

Where was his bike parked when filming you at the 4:15-ish time mark? :confused: At first I thought it was some random dude on the side of the trail, lol

Love your videos :cool: That mud looked like a sticky/slippery mess for sure, heh

Where was his bike parked when filming you at the 4:15-ish time mark? :confused: At first I thought it was some random dude on the side of the trail, lol

After he road up the hill he parked at the top and walked back down to hopefully document me busting it in the same spot he did. Mud isn't deep. Just a thin layer but is a lot like being on wet ice.

I was riding the Ark. Section if the TAT last summer just after a rain and it didn't look bad, but it was slicker than snot.

Installed a bunch of replacement parts that had been damaged in a spill and added silver side covers to my black bike to cover scratches.

Old and new rear brake pedals:

IMG_2493.jpg

Honda "aluminum look" (plastic) side panels:

IMG_2497.jpg

I also installed a Dimotiv front sprocket cover. It comes with a plastic window so you can see the sprocket and chain. I'll need to cut down the 2 spacers in order to reinstall the chain guard that sits in front of the sprocket.

Still waiting for a new front fender and a few other parts to complete my repairs.

After almost 2 years of ownership, I got off my cheap a$$ and ordered a center stand today. When it is delivered (probably next week), I may hit up some other local NC700 guys (I only know 3 in a 100 mile radius) to help me install it-my mechanical skills SUCK the big one sometimes.

Installed Brush Guards and FendaExtenda. I am looking forward to seeing that FendaExtenda at work cause my bike is a muddy mess after my offroad rides. Brush Guards will keep my fingers and knuckles happier in the woods too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back