• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well not to add wood to the fire but I sent off my oil for analysis and finally decided to post them. Looks like the oil had sheared which may have been what I was feeling. Who knows but I was definitely intrigued when I got this back. Everything else was in spec.

df861d012fb877448d686b9e02e10c12.jpg

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

Attachments

• IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 139
Well not to add wood to the fire but I sent off my oil for analysis and finally decided to post them. Looks like the oil had sheared which may have been what I was feeling. Who knows but I was definitely intrigued when I got this back. Everything else was in spec.

df861d012fb877448d686b9e02e10c12.jpg

Excesses fuel in the oil, did you find a way to get a NC700X to run rich?

Excesses fuel in the oil, did you find a way to get a NC700X to run rich?

No idea, I'm having a hard time understanding the way they mark their fuel percentage, but from what I'm seeing it looks like there was very little in the sump.

[The oil companies have a strong lock on buffaloing us all.]

Several years ago while looking for auto oil at my local Advance Auto Parts, I noticed they have special packaging for V-twin motorcycle oil, import car oil, oil for high mileage cars, oil for SUVs/4 x 4s, etc. I'm only surprised they didn't have a special packaging of an oil designed for mini-vans driven by soccer moms. :p

you are not looking hard enough, it's the M-VDrbiSM designation. I think they stock it in the ladies section.

The oil advised is a semi-synthetic and I have currently 10W-40 in it. If I need to add oil between services, is it okay to add some full-synthetic (old can but never been opened, produced in 2009: Shell Advance 10W-40 API SG and JASO MA) or not? I know that the specs are right, but can I mix a semi-syn with a full-syn?

The oil advised is a semi-synthetic and I have currently 10W-40 in it. If I need to add oil between services, is it okay to add some full-synthetic (old can but never been opened, produced in 2009: Shell Advance 10W-40 API SG and JASO MA) or not? I know that the specs are right, but can I mix a semi-syn with a full-syn?

I'd suggest going over to Bob is the oil guy. They have a lot of good info on that.

One of the biggest issues with internet forums is that it's very hard to know if a post was written by a true subject mater expert, or a ten year old regurgitating something he read somewhere. There are maybe six people on Bob's The Oil Guy that actually know something.

The only question about the Shell Advance 10W-40 API SG and JASO MA is whether or not it's marked Energy Conserving, because it's shouldn't be, and probably isn't based on the MA marking. (may cause clutch to slip) Regular, synth-blend, and full synth are compatible with each other.

One of the biggest issues with internet forums is that it's very hard to know if a post was written by a true subject mater expert, or a ten year old regurgitating something he read somewhere. There are maybe six people on Bob's The Oil Guy that actually know something.

The only question about the Shell Advance 10W-40 API SG and JASO MA is whether or not it's marked Energy Conserving, because it's shouldn't be, and probably isn't based on the MA marking. (may cause clutch to slip) Regular, synth-blend, and full synth are compatible with each other.

Yeah i was referring to their blog posts. Should have been more clear on where to look.

Blackstone doesn't measure fuel content. They estimate it from their flash point number. A GC-measured fuel figure is much better, and most always higher.

Note that the UOA here shows an oil that has sheared to a 20-grade in just a few hundred miles. Honda's 10W30 isn't exactly a 'tough' oil, but it still protects these bikes fine. It rather makes me wonder about trying Red Line's 0W20 automotive oil in mine. It is MA compliant, despite being their highest-fuel-economy automotive fluid.

So what will a 20 wt shear to in a couple hundred miles?

It's not hard to find oil compliant with the Honda MOTOR Company's recommendations that we know will provide adequate protection for long OCIs. Why take a chance on the recommendation of someone you know nothing about except what he claims on the internet? Does that trump what Honda knows?

Blackstone doesn't measure fuel content. They estimate it from their flash point number. A GC-measured fuel figure is much better, and most always higher.

Note that the UOA here shows an oil that has sheared to a 20-grade in just a few hundred miles. Honda's 10W30 isn't exactly a 'tough' oil, but it still protects these bikes fine. It rather makes me wonder about trying Red Line's 0W20 automotive oil in mine. It is MA compliant, despite being their highest-fuel-economy automotive fluid.

Don't forget this oil sat for at least 2 years at the dealership.

Unless Honda uses 10W-30 vegetable oil, the 2 years is irrelevant.

I reached out to blackstone to see if they will elaborate on the loss of viscosity. If age was contributing factor or if there is an underlying issue.

Got this back from blackstone. I'm more comfortable with this now. The next UOA will confirm the trend.

"It's not unusual for motorcycles to shear the oil, so it isn't too
surprising to see that here. That's especially true for bikes with wet
clutch systems. I don't know if the change in the feel is related to the
viscosity or not, but we don't typically see more metal in our tests due to
a low viscosity (or thick viscosity). it doesn't typically cause more wear
or any long-term issues.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the viscosity tends to be a little low
for this engine going forward. If it ever starts to look like a problem or
seem to cause excess wear, we'll be sure to let you know. From what I see
in this first report, your engine is wearing quite nicely since there
wasn't a lot of metal present, even for a wear-in sample.

Let's see how trends develop and go from there. Continue to watch for
drastic changes in operation going forward too, in case that is an issue or
related to something that doesn't show up in our tests.

Thanks for contacting Blackstone!"

P.s. Thank you mod who fixed my spelling error in the title.

It's not hard to find oil compliant with the Honda MOTOR Company's recommendations that we know will provide adequate protection for long OCIs. Why take a chance on the recommendation of someone you know nothing about except what he claims on the internet? Does that trump what Honda knows?

What? What are you saying?

What? What are you saying?
I did not quote post #31 but that is what I commented on in post #32.

What I'm saying is that why ignore the Honda recommendation of 10w30 or 10w40 JASO MA in favor of 0w20 based on anonymous posts on the internet when it's not difficult to find oils that meet Honda's recommendation.

Honda has a good reputation for long service life engines that have generous oil change intervals. We know that from 70 years of building the reputation they have today plus Honda has skin in the game into the future in warranty claims and a reputation to uphold. We don't know the people that make claims on the internet.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm thinking an oil thread is an oil thread, is an oil thread and this one has pretty much run it's course, yes? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back