• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Do you change your oil filter seasonally or by mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil and filters every 4000 miles. Did it one time at 8000 miles and got some smelly dark oil out of it.
Some people deviate from the manufacturer’s maintenance recommendations for their own reasons. Smelly oil is a reason I hadn’t heard before; however, I’ve had some oil stink even when it was new.

I ride year round here in Texas. Always based on mileage and as the manual states. Granted, I ride a lot (bought my ‘21 brand new last April and already rolled 12k. Hoping to hit 13k before one year anniversary.)

Always by mileage but I don't follow the rules. I change the filter every other oil change and I change the oil about at the 5k mi mark. Always good Synthetic. So I usually do the oil every year and the filter every two.

I'm glad this came up, it's time for both...
I do exactly the same. Also if you change every 5k mi. Your odometer is your reminder. Same with my truck. My Honda outboard is changed every 4th of July.

Just throwing this out there.
A typical riding season for me will amount to 4k miles or less.
I was looking thru the manual and noticed that the oil filter is not recommended to be changed yearly like the oil. If I don’t change the oil filter this year it will be 3 years on same filter and by the end of this season I will more than likely still not reach the mileage recommendation of 16,000k.

So my question is has anybody ran an oil filter longer than 2 years and if so any negative results?
YES I know many will say oil filters are cheap ($20 OE equipment) just change it yearly. That will not answer the question.
Thanks in advance.
I'm good or 8k miles a season but change my oil every 3500-4000 miles with an oil filter replacement every other oil change. However many miles you change your oil I would make it a point to replace the filter once a year so the filter doesn't become part of the bike, every time I change the filter it becomes impossibly tight and is a huge pain to get off. Mind you when I put the new filter on I lube the O-Ring and only install it hand tight.

Every 5K, about once per season, filter as well. All my cars and bikes, easy to remember. Having said that, I do realize there is NO logical reason no to go at least 10K or more. The NC motor IS one of the most hearty, under-stressed engines ever put in a bike.

I was raised on the idiotic, oil company wives tale that you should change your oil every 3K. Probably because of this, at 5K, my lizard brain starts to twitch.

Thread is drifting to typical oil thread discussion. Given that the original questions have had a reasonable number of answers, thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back