• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Do you change your oil filter seasonally or by mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just throwing this out there.
A typical riding season for me will amount to 4k miles or less.
I was looking thru the manual and noticed that the oil filter is not recommended to be changed yearly like the oil. If I don’t change the oil filter this year it will be 3 years on same filter and by the end of this season I will more than likely still not reach the mileage recommendation of 16,000k.

So my question is has anybody ran an oil filter longer than 2 years and if so any negative results?
YES I know many will say oil filters are cheap ($20 OE equipment) just change it yearly. That will not answer the question.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5DFE94B2-4E24-4E96-9F95-7D71C5C054C5.jpeg
    5DFE94B2-4E24-4E96-9F95-7D71C5C054C5.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 21
I change mine by mileage, but I ride my NC about 15,000 miles per year, so in effect it's every 6 months on oil and just over a year on the filter.

Depending on storage conditions I can't imagine it hurting your bike to change it at Honda 's prescribed intervals, but if it were me, I'd at least change the oil every spring, regardless of Honda's recommendations. Oil can degrade, the filter not so much, unless you are running contaminated oil through it. That's my opinion anyway.

I change mine by mileage, but I ride my NC about 15,000 miles per year, so in effect it's every 6 months on oil and just over a year on the filter.

Depending on storage conditions I can't imagine it hurting your bike to change it at Honda 's prescribed intervals, but if it were me, I'd at least change the oil every spring, regardless of Honda's recommendations. Oil can degrade, the filter not so much, unless you are running contaminated oil through it. That's my opinion anyway.
I absolutely change oil every year.
Thx for your reply.

Oil and filter have two different functions in engine operation. You change the oil because the lubrication properties deteriorate with time and conditions of use. You change the filter when you suspect that the filtering ability has deteriorated due to oil contamination. You know best in what conditions the motorcycle engine was working and for how long. The period of engine downtime is also important. That's in theory.
In practice, if you're going to change the oil, why not change the filter as well? For your peace of mind.

Mileage for me. However with three other bikes I may not always do enough mileage in a year on any single one of them. However all of them will be run frequently during the year up to full operating temperature and to me that is the important bit. None of them are used on any one journey for less than 100km.

Always by mileage but I don't follow the rules. I change the filter every other oil change and I change the oil about at the 5k mi mark. Always good Synthetic. So I usually do the oil every year and the filter every two.

I'm glad this came up, it's time for both...

Yes to my running a filter longer than 2 years, no to any negative results. The oil filter age in time is irrelevant. It traps particulates, but it doesn’t simply age out. As the maintenance schedule says, the oil filter change is solely mileage based. Also, the filter is cheap argument makes no sense. No filter is cheaper than a filter. An unnecessary filter change is a waste of time, money, and planet resources.

My Honda Ridgeline also specifies, via it’s on-vehicle maintenance minder, oil filter change every other oil change, so the recommendation is not just specific to Honda motorcycles. However, the Ridgeline schedule is based on engine operation metrics, not mileage.

I change both oil and filter every 8000 miles which is pretty close how much I ride in a year anyway, but I change based on mileage not time.

a liitle off topic - Any clue about the oil filter suitable for NC 750x 2021 - hiflo 204 IS NOT LISTED - JUST THOSE ORIGINAL HONDA PARTS - THSANKS FOR SUGGESTIONS

I use the Wix 57356 for engine oil, and the HiFlo 117 for the DCT filter.

Last edited:
Purely mileage and every 3,000. Few things make me as happy as changing oil and filter together. I see those little flakes, and I grin with glee getting them out of my engine. This may be irrational, and that's OK. I've been a grease monkey since my dad taught me how in about 1972, and I love it. Now that I'm outrageously wealthy compared to my young and desperately poor self, I take some glee in not giving much crap about the cost of oil or filters. It's a weird relationship agreement I make with my sailboat and motorcycles and cars: I will treat you like gold, and you will not let me down. I've not once been stranded by any vehicle anytime in my entire life. My overly fastidious maintenance may not have anything to do with this. Don't care. Makes me feel happy. So far so good!

Yes to my running a filter longer than 2 years, no to any negative results. The oil filter age in time is irrelevant. It traps particulates, but it doesn’t simply age out. As the maintenance schedule says, the oil filter change is solely mileage based. Also, the filter is cheap argument makes no sense. No filter is cheaper than a filter. An unnecessary filter change is a waste of time, money, and planet resources.

That is very debatable. I change the oil filter in my car every oil change and i plan to do the same for the bike. Yes change a filter is cheap, yes is a bit of waste (just due to the oil because everything else is metal and paper, all reciclable). But a fresh functioning filter give me a better peace of mind and surely is way way way less waste than replace or fix any damage that may occur when the filter gives out.

That is very debatable. I change the oil filter in my car every oil change and i plan to do the same for the bike. Yes change a filter is cheap, yes is a bit of waste (just due to the oil because everything else is metal and paper, all reciclable). But a fresh functioning filter give me a better peace of mind and surely is way way way less waste than replace or fix any damage that may occur when the filter gives out.
The recommended filter change interval is not very debatable in a sense that it’s clearly specified in the owner’s manual as every 16,000 miles (or the metric equivalent). Early model year NC‘s owner’s manuals specified 8000 mile engine oil filter change interval, but in later years Honda went to double that, although there was no apparent design change in the filter, engine, or oil spec.

Peace of mind does not affect engine longevity, nor have we seen reports on the forum of engine damage attributed to following the recommended filter service intervals. There is really no sound argument for not following the manual.

We recently used the 'Guaranteed 20,000 mi' Mobil 1 oil and filter in our Hyundai. It makes me nervous but I'll trust the experts, at least to the 85-90% mark.

a liitle off topic - Any clue about the oil filter suitable for NC 750x 2021 - hiflo 204 IS NOT LISTED - JUST THOSE ORIGINAL HONDA PARTS - THSANKS FOR SUGGESTIONS
I just installed Hiflo 204 (+ HF117 for the DCT), and they fit comme à gant...

A filter suitable for a 2020 NC750X is suitable for a 2021 model. Often, aftermarket product application guides are slow to update for new machine model years.

There is a website, I don't remember it exactly but Google will know, that lists comparable oil filters. So you search for the Honda filter and it will list aftermarket filters that match it.

I ride year round so I go off mileage. With that said, I change the oil and filters at the same time. For all the more money the filters are I just do it all at once so I don't have to worry about it.

Oil and filters every 4000 miles. Did it one time at 8000 miles and got some smelly dark oil out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back