• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I hate winter!

Danimal

Reaction score
Visit site
So today I got mine ready for storage through the winter. :(

Anyone do anything to theirs aside from washing, removing the battery for winter storage?

all I do is put in fuel stabilizer ,take the bike for a run out and then put a cover over it the next day.
if its nice a sunny we'll go for a short ride for a couple of hours even if its cold.
we dont mind looking like a pair of Michelin men as long as we are warm.

We get some cold winters here (it's 10*F right now), but of course not as cold as your Minnesota winters. The NC is sitting out in an unheated building. I do nothing except add some fuel stabilizer to the winter tanks. There have been, and there will be, nice days in December, January, and February for an occasional ride. I keep the bikes ready to roll.

I have never understood why one should remove the battery from the motorcycle, unless maybe the bike is stored in a place where no electricity is available for a charger. The self discharge rate of a battery is slower in colder temperatures, so it would seem wise to keep the battery stored in a cold place rather than a warm place, as long as you can keep a charge on it and prevent freezing. I typically have battery lives on the order of 6 to 12 years, and I never have removed one for storage. I just replaced the house batteries in my motor home, and they were 19 years old.

Greg

Last edited:
Put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, let the bike run for a bit, and call it good. Some people like to lift the weight off the tires to prevent flat spots, but I don't buy into that theory with modern tires and the size of these bikes.

California. It only rains here in winter. Temps rarely go below 40*F. I keep it on the patio under a weather cover all year round. It's always ready to ride...

Yesterday I had a great ride to Pinnacles National Park and back, met a friend for a wonderful hike in between my rides. Didn't see any condors though. Hey, we have to get something for the high cost of living and bizarre rules/ laws here.

Winterize in California = Be sure the heated vest and an extra sweater are on the bike.

Goose

California. It only rains here in winter. Temps rarely go below 40*F. I keep it on the patio under a weather cover all year round. It's always ready to ride...

Brrrrrrrrr. I like to get the wheels on to wood for some reason. full tank, a bit of sea foam in the gas, and a trickle charger. If I the oil was old or close to due I would change it. I try to keep my garge dry in the winter, so much so that I don't park a car in it anymore. Condensation is bad for all the tools and machines I have. Stay warm.

I don't do to much to mine for the winter other than make sure it always has a full tank of gas and a battery tender connected. I store mine in my heated shop along with all my cars :). I went for a ride yesterday in 23 deg weather hence not doing too much to prepare it for storage. I plan to ride whenever it's not cold enough for ice and the roads are clear.

I just parked in the back of the garage and plugged in a battery tender (battery is still in the bike and hooked up)

Figure when I get to the point where I find myself in the garage in the middle of the winter just to get out of the house I can get her washed up and waxed up good then. Maybe give her an oil change too. That way she'll get rolled around a little in the winter time in the garage at least, and be sparkling and ready to go in the spring (where the sludge left on the road from the winter will take the shine off rather quickly.)

I didn't even do fuel stabilizer (though I will likely be siphoning off gas to fill the snow blower, and then adding fresh from the gas can later, and if I do an oil change I'm going to run the engine for a bit to get it warm first)

My first time putting her down for the winter, so we'll see if I have any issues in spring.

I think yesterday was the first time I didn't hear any Harleys roll down my street since spring...
Could have been the cold, or maybe it was that they were all watching the vikings/packers game, but I think riding season is definitely coming to an end in MN.

I hate winter too. It was a down right chilly 60 degrees this morning on the ride to work. I had to put a liner in my mesh jacket so I would not get chilled. 60 - - brrrrrrrrrr

Gotta love Florida

Back