• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Winter Time Blues

BenR

Reaction score
Visit site
This has been the coldest, wettest winter in my location that I can remember, and as such, the NC has been on life support for over 3 months. The winter time blues have set in! The desert southwest is normally sunny and dry, which makes this winter even tougher. Normally, I'd be riding through winter. Ugh! Well, it's time to get out in the garage and do some cleaning and polishing. ;)

I have a buddy that lives outside Denver and he's always complaining that he only has a 4-month riding season.

Our winter here in SW Ohio, by contrast, has been the warmest and driest I can ever recall. We have averaged 10 degrees above our ave daily temp for January so far, and very little snow. I missed 3 days riding in Nov (due to a back injury), 7 days in December (1 to rain, 5 to snow and 1 going to the hospital with my younger brother for his hip replacement), and so far 3 days in January (2 to rain, 1 to snow). They are predicting some accumulating snow in the next week. Just have to get thru the last 10 days of Jan and then 28 days of February, and we should be home free.

SE Ohio has been warmer but wet. I figure about 60 days until standard riding season

Denver? I just drove through there a week ago (in a car) - didn’t seem bad.

Meanwhile, today in the midwest I rode 50 miles on my Goldwing at mostly 36*F, with 34*F temperature at the end of the ride. No winter blues here. I went to the nearby lake and there were actually a few people fishing from their boats today.

Buy and read "Motorcycle Adventurer: Carl Stearns Clancy: First Motorcyclist To Ride Around The World 1912-1913"

It helps me with winter MC blues and give a whole new appreciation of modern riding in general.

You silly boys - Mines been parked since end of October.
We have over 3 feet on the ground, and although January has been warm - up to mid 30s, its not riding time until April, or maybe May this year!
Two wheels and ice - no thanks.
And then there's the salt that will get all over everything. Streets are white with it.
That's why we wait here until spring and a good rain to wash everything down.

It was 70+ balmy and sunny yesterday, here in NW WV. Wet 55 today.
Some trees are budding but no Robin sightings yet. I 'feel' winter is over here.
But we had 12" of snow on 12 Mar 2022.

You silly boys - Mines been parked since end of October.
We have over 3 feet on the ground, and although January has been warm - up to mid 30s, its not riding time until April, or maybe May this year!
Two wheels and ice - no thanks.
And then there's the salt that will get all over everything. Streets are white with it.
That's why we wait here until spring and a good rain to wash everything down.
You have some winter downtime but hopefully you have better summer weather to ride in than those that live in the southern USA.

You have some winter downtime but hopefully you have better summer weather to ride in than those that live in the southern USA.
Yes, it's pretty hot here in the summer (90* day after day) and I live way up in Northern California. I will take cold weather any day over too hot.
Also, I picked up the new bike from Redding Ca yesterday, the blue is a slate blue, and darker than I thought it would be. It looks fine though and it's going to stay on the trailer until it quits snowing here. I still haven't sat on or ridden it, but I have faith in it.

Last edited:
Was going to ride my new* 2015 NC700X to college today but at 40F (4C) and threatening to rain, I'll save it for another day (and save my fingers from frostbite).

Was going to ride my new* 2015 NC700X to college today but at 40F (4C) and threatening to rain, I'll save it for another day (and save my fingers from frostbite).
How far is your ride? Good winter gloves and I can ride 45 minutes to work without too much of an issue.

How far is your ride? Good winter gloves and I can ride 45 minutes to work without too much of an issue.
Only like 25min commute. I think I need some better gear (heated grips?) if I want to ride all year around. I've been riding motorcycles for as long as I've had my bike... so like five days lol. Still getting used it all.
:D

Only like 25min commute. I think I need some better gear (heated grips?) if I want to ride all year around. I've been riding motorcycles for as long as I've had my bike... so like five days lol. Still getting used it all.
:D
Keep your torso warm and your hands will follow. That and some decent winter gloves can take you down to around 32f depending on your cold tolerance. Below that and I’m worried about black ice.

Not to pick on anyone -
Black ice is formed when the temps are in the negative numbers and lots of cars with their exhaust are on the road !
The exhaust and the weight of the tires cause a very very thin layer of ice to form.
And you cant see it.
Yea we get that here.
But is doesn't happen all over - remember negative number temps!

Not to pick on anyone -
Black ice is formed when the temps are in the negative numbers and lots of cars with their exhaust are on the road !
The exhaust and the weight of the tires cause a very very thin layer of ice to form.
And you cant see it.
Yea we get that here.
But is doesn't happen all over - remember negative number temps!
Based on that explanation, will transitioning to electric cars eliminate black ice?

Back