• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Loud Clunk shift from Neutral

Kyonic

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. Got about 1000 miles on the bike so far now and I seem to be having some problems. After I start the NC and squeeze the clutch I step down on the shifter to 1st and the bike makes a loud POP or Clunk going from neutral to first. It also makes the same noise if I go from neutral to second. I do not notice it going into any other gear except those two just sitting. Any suggestions? Could I be doing something wrong?

There will be a clunk when shifting from neutral at a dead stop. The transmission is different on a bike than a car. When you are moving do you feel a clunk shifting from first to second?

Hey guys. Got about 1000 miles on the bike so far now and I seem to be having some problems. After I start the NC and squeeze the clutch I step down on the shifter to 1st and the bike makes a loud POP or Clunk going from neutral to first. It also makes the same noise if I go from neutral to second. I do not notice it going into any other gear except those two just sitting. Any suggestions? Could I be doing something wrong?

Normal noise.......................

It's normal to get a clunk when engaging gear at a standstill. It can be worse if the chain is loose - after 1,000 miles on a new chain it might have developed a bit of slack.

I'm assuming the clunk wasn't so noticeable when you first got the bike.

This is unfortunately normal for most motorcycle transmissions. To avoid this awful clunk I always start the bike in 1st gear (while holding one of the brakes so the bike wont move), then ride off. I rarely use neutral on a motorcycle as I see no need for it.

When the oil warms and the clutch becomes less sticky, the neutral to first clunk will be less noticeable.

Greg

Last edited:
What's funny is Harley Davidson considers this a "feature" sometimes when they shift from neutral is sounds like someone just hit a washing machine with a rubber mallet. They could have engineered it to be quieter but found out from focus groups of Harley riders they don't want it to be quieter and smoother.

Comparing to my old Kawasaki EX250-J the NC700 clunk is like a mosquito buzz on a JFK runway. It is completely normal as long as you don't hear a grinding "Grrrr" sound.

Yeah, this is normal on my bike too. It's rather unsettling & is, i reckon, the clutch plates sticking a bit. It is less when warm.
After starting I tend to pull the clutch in & rev it a little to free the plates before selecting neutral - but it still clunks a bit. I guess we should be thankful things have moved on a bit. I remember my old 400/4 clutch becoming rather unpredictable when hot :)

Ok thanks so much for the quick replies. Yes I will tighten the chain a bit I think that would be the place to start. What is interesting is that once I go from neutral to first or neutral to second and it clunks. If I keep the clutch held through all of this and go back to neutral and then go to one of those gears there is no clunk. That is keeping the clutch held through all of it. Now if I do the same exact thing and while returning to neutral and I let out on the clutch all of the way and then pull it back in a attempt to go to one of the gears there is the clunk again.

This noise is very noticeable when you don't let the motorcycle warm up. If I am in a hurry to get somewhere and just fire and go it is horrific sounding. So I try not to do that often, if I let it sit for at least a few minutes it sounds half as bad.

Ok good info guys. Just to report one more thing. I noticed that when I am in neutral you can also hear a faint rattle or garble somewhere. It stops this when you just barley squeeze the clutch. If you place your hand on the clutch cover (Boy it is really hot!) you can feel it until you squeeze the clutch. Also when shifting from neutral to second if I am not really aggressive when shifting up it will rattle or get poppy when trying to go into to gear. Could it be that when I squeeze the clutch and shift up to second that my clutch is not fully releasing the plates? Not sure if that is an adjustment that I should worry about or not. Either way the bike is BA and I love it. Other than my clutch friction zone issue that I posted on and this I could not be any more happy with this bike.

Sometimes mine cluncks sometimes it doesn't.all normal.the clutch noise is normal. most of us have it.chain noise also.ear plugs help.when my wife hears a noise in her car she.freaks out.i tell her to turn the radio up.

Also when shifting from neutral to second if I am not really aggressive when shifting up it will rattle or get poppy when trying to go into to gear.

When you ride, are you shifting 1st -> N and then N -> 2nd? If so, stop doing that and shift from 1st -> 2nd instead.

Try this - preload the shifter by applying some pressure to it in the direction of the next gear. Then, when the speed and RPMs are right make a QUICK and POSITIVE gear change.

Ok good info guys. Just to report one more thing. I noticed that when I am in neutral you can also hear a faint rattle or garble somewhere. It stops this when you just barley squeeze the clutch. If you place your hand on the clutch cover (Boy it is really hot!) you can feel it until you squeeze the clutch. Also when shifting from neutral to second if I am not really aggressive when shifting up it will rattle or get poppy when trying to go into to gear. Could it be that when I squeeze the clutch and shift up to second that my clutch is not fully releasing the plates? Not sure if that is an adjustment that I should worry about or not. Either way the bike is BA and I love it. Other than my clutch friction zone issue that I posted on and this I could not be any more happy with this bike.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...old-starting-any-cause-worry-3.html#post44439

Nope I skip N

That's a relief. I hope I didn't insult your intelligence, but the way the post was worded made it sound like you might be. And the drop in road speed while doing it would account for the problem you described.

Back