• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Would you buy another NC

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
I was asked today if something happened to my NC which meant it needed replacing would you buy another or would you buy something else. I had to admit that in my case I would certainly have to think hard whether to buy another NC or go back to commuting on a Deauville 700.
What would you replace your NC with if you had to because something had happened to yours.
I hope none of you actually find yourself in the above situation

I love the flickability (don't think that's a word) of the NC and since I don't do much of long distance riding, I'd most likely stay with an NC although I really like the BMW K1600GT. It may be a very tough decision 'cause there're also the FJR and ST but certainly not as flickable.

As this is my first motorcycle, and I haven't seen anything out there that would 'fit' me, I would say YES. For a beginner like me (and from what I read on experienced riders on this forum), this bike has everything I need to last me for a long time.

I love the flickability (don't think that's a word) of the NC and since I don't do much of long distance riding, I'd most likely stay with an NC although I really like the BMW K1600GT. It may be a very tough decision 'cause there're also the FJR and ST but certainly not as flickable.
If flickabillity isn't a word it certainly should be as it is ideal when talking about certain bikes

NC700X DCT, color white.
Coolest onroad ride ever without alternative. Would be replaced as soon as insurance would pay for loss. I would not bother with anything else.
However, I would upgrade as soon as Honda brought it with considerably lower weight. Which will never happen, for sure. Not with Honda.
There is one general condition to be met: I want a sporty low weight dirtbike in my garage as well. In case both bikes need to get replaced, I might replace the dirtbike prior to the NC.

not got one and not sure if I will yet.
just waiting for the bigger version if one comes out.
not sure if the NC would be suitable to carry both of us.
I rather like the fairing malarkey which you don't get on the NC.

Last edited:
In a heartbeat! Its a hard bike to beat for commuting. And when set up properly, it will handle touring and mild off road. I haven't seen any interstate capable bikes get over 80 mpg, with the reliability that goes with the Honda name yet.

In a heartbeat! Its a hard bike to beat for commuting. And when set up properly, it will handle touring and mild off road. I haven't seen any interstate capable bikes get over 80 mpg, with the reliability that goes with the Honda name yet.

i would get another nc, my bike is a tractor off road, drop it never brakes anything, i am going to retire the xr650l this year and set a nc up for my wife to ride, i will build it like my bike, since we both ride off road, she loves the lower center of gravity, and smooth motor at highway speed. dale

Yes, I would instantly buy another one, as it is still the only bike that has the things that I wanted, that made me buy it in the first place, lol.

It's not as if I really had, say, a group of bikes lined up to purchase that I was debating one versus the other as far as features/functions. Having said that though, I would have bought a 650 VStrom if the NCX hadn't come out. That's what I had my eye on prior to the NCX.

I wanted a V-Twin-like sound and power delivery but without the extra hassles of double everything (two seperate valve covers to re/re when doing adjustments, buying parts etc.)

I didn't want any other valve adjust method other than screw and locknut. (well hydraulic would have been awesome, but sigh)

I didn't want a big thumper, or a V-4 or an inline 4.

I didn't want a 360* firing parallel twin, would have reluctantly settled for a 180*.

The 270* twin is exactly what I have always wanted since the first TRX/TDM days. (am intrigued by an inline triple, having never owned one, but the Triumph offerings just aren't my cup of tea)

The storage compartment completely sealed the deal for me, it's a fetish I have. I was amazed and overjoyed at that clever idea being there in addition to the 270* crank twin, screw and locknut engine I wanted!

It's (theoretically...) awesome fuel mileage is an added unexpected bonus that's quite ok by me.

At first I slightly bemoaned a chain instead of a shaft drive, but quickly realized, truly, for what I want to do with this bike, a chain really is better.

What I would change if I could:

Motorcycles shouldn't be allowed to be sold with less than a 20 litre minimum fuel tank. (my other fetish, lol) I don't care if they get 200 MPG. I could happily live with less swoopy and Italian-esque designed rear body work, I'd rather a more chunky tail, but with a bigger gas tank.

The redline and rev limiter. I would like it better if the redline was just a tiny wee bit higher, or the limiter didn't kick in like hitting a brick wall. The reason for a slightly higher redline would only be so the transition from a "normal" motorcycle engine to this one, wasn't so abrupt and in your face. It wouldn't be so bad if it started softly gagging a little bit and you had a hint of warning as you approached 7K. But I really don't like the: "Yaay, I'm powering up,going to merge and change lanes, hang in this gear for a bit, and... *BANG* Auugh! instant no power! Ack! must back off! must shift up!

My CBR125R has a redline right around 11,000 but you can play in that zone for quite a few hundred rpm further, before getting a slight stutter and a soft telltale prior to ignition cut off. There's no off/on switch feeling, more of a gentle "I'm running out of petrol" kinda thing.

Just because the redline is higher doesn't mean you have to go up there, but you can if you want. I prefer this over the choice being taken away from you.

I'd take a good hard look at the Ducati Hyperstrada. I like supermotos in general though I have no reason at all to go off road here in Chicago. Maybe it's just my old dirt bike racing roots.

Buy another one? Is snow expected in hell this winter?

As a matter of fact, it is. Its called Antarctica and if there is a hell on earth, its frozen solid, uninhabitable, and a place I have to spend a couple months every year, for the foreseeable future, for my work...

For me the NC has been everything I have expected from it, but truthfully, I have only had the bike a few days and a couple of those days rained. So not speaking from a lot of experience with it. Put 70 miles on it today though and I really dig it. Still getting used to some things, like no noise from the pipes and the smooth engine, but time will take care of those. I live well off the beaten path and my quarter mile driveway is dirt/sand so the NC is great for my needs. Love the balance the bike has, I rode into the high grass off the driveway and had no problems or worries of dropping it. Of course I wasn't going real fast but still, something I wouldn't do with my VTX, ever. The supermotard looks and the great gas mileage are just icing. So far my answer would be yes, another round for me..

Yes.

The fact that I broke my promise to always by used bikes from now on, and actually bought a NEW NC700X just goes to show how much I think this bike matches my "needs". The only thing that would change if I needed to buy another NC, is that I could now probably find one used instead of new, and save some cash. (I heard there was one for sale in Texas going cheap).

As LBS Pointed out, the design of the tail is too much style over function. There is a lot of air space there that could have easily held another gallon of fuel and/or allowed thicker seat padding.

I would take a look at the S model, and just as likely buy it as the X, if the S was available in the States. And if a yellow X came out, I'd have to sell mine and buy it, or at least buy the yellow parts and swap them out.

Last edited:
No buyers remorse here. I would buy another in a heartbeat. If money was no object, I would make a package deal and include a Wing!

This is my first bike after a 38 year absence, so you might say I'm new to riding; or riding again. I sort of fell into the NC by accident. Didn't know what kind of bike I wanted when I started looking, and certainly didn't know the variety out there today. I was leaning toward a cruiser style bike since that's what some acquaintances rode. Had my eye on a Shadow Aero at the Honda place, but while I was musing over it someone else bought it. Saw this NC sitting in the showroom, along with a used Goldwing and several dirt bikes. Knew I didn't want a dirt bike and couldn't afford the Goldwing, so I took the NC out for a spin. I liked it so I bought it, and I am liking it still. Would I buy it again? Probably for the present time since it is a great bike to gain riding experience on. Somewhere down the road I might consider something a bit larger. But for now I'm quite satisfied with the ride.

Back