• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

Another vote for a top case here.

I bought and used side cases on my last bike the first 4 years I had it daily because they looked better. Then, I finally got a decent top case, and I pretty much stopped using the side cases unless I really need extra space.

The weight/COG thing is a legitimate concern in theory, but I've never noticed in everyday riding. I work for a beer distributor and regularly take a case of beer home from work (~30lb) in my top case. I wouldn't go off roading with it back there, but it doesn't give me any trouble -- it certainly isn't unstable.

Also, the aerodynamics of a top case seem to be better, and it gives the wife something to lean against on the rare occasion she rides along.

So.... there are pros and cons to both. Lane splitting is illegal here, or that would be another big plus for a top case, but it really boils down to what you want, IMO.

trey

I purchased both, I went with Givi more capacity, lower cost. I have just a top case on my VFR and used soft bags for touring. Now that I have both it is very nice to have room if needed now if I can find or make mounts for the VFR I can use them for both bikes :) , 2012-11-02 16.42.48.jpg with hard cases being waterproof and lockable is another plus. My Wife and I commute daily on the NC. I myself have never had an issue with the added weight or size, as long as you know that you are carrying extra and prepare for it you shouldn't have any unforeseen issues.

+ 1 for Side cases!

I have a complete Givi set up but when I can I only use side case / trunk as I don't like having a topbox (Givi E52 Maxia), makes the handling worse if on it's own.

Saying that, as I can sometime hit heavy traffic I will purposely opt for the topcase so I can be annoying and filter through those sat waiting 'patiently' in traffic :)

But if you only use a day sack, I'm sure you'll get your kit in the trunk of the NC, you'll be surprised what you can actually get in it, unless you carry oddly shaped items :)

Last edited:
If you had to choose one, which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

I don't have an NC700X yet, but I've been thinking of luggage/case options. When I commute on my 1999 Honda XR250L, I wear a daypack to carry all my stuff (lunch, work stuff, etc). If/when I get an NC, I'd love to get rid of the pack. The front storage on the NC isn't big enough for what I carry, but I don't need both a top box and side cases (nor am I eager to spend the extra money for both).

So, I'm curious what all the great folks on this forum think about this issue.

Let me know what you'd recommend.

Thanks!

It all depends on what your needs are. For commuting, I would rather have a large top case. I like having all three myself.
Side cases would be a pain compared to the top case for my commute. I put my lunch in the top case when I leave home and put my helmet and gloves in when I get to work.

The top case is more convenient for me, when its raining than my side cases.
My top case is 55 liters and my side cases are 35 each. (I wish all three were larger.)
I can take all of my luggage off in less than one minute, so swapping a duffel bag and my top case wouldn't be a problem. I may put a flat plate on later that will attach like my top case.
I like having my stuff locked up when commuting.
Here are a few pics of mine for comparison.
Front
NCX luggage paint front view.jpg
Rear
NCX luggage paint rear view.jpg

Side
NCX luggage paint right side.jpg

Top case only
NCX Luggage without side case.jpg

Side case only
NCX Luggage without top case.jpg

But if you only use a day sack, I'm sure you'll get your kit in the trunk of the NC, you'll be surprised what you can actually get in it, unless you carry oddly shaped items :)

Exactly. I should have explicitly put this point in my original answer. The NC's built-in boot (To our British friends: Is that the proper use of the term?) is equivalent to a small trunk/top case.

Hey turbo ...

Great set of pictures ...

Quick question - what is the out-to-out dimension of the bike with the bags on ??

Thanks ..
It all depends on what your needs are. For commuting, I would rather have a large top case. I like having all three myself.
Side cases would be a pain compared to the top case for my commute. I put my lunch in the top case when I leave home and put my helmet and gloves in when I get to work.

The top case is more convenient for me, when its raining than my side cases.
My top case is 55 liters and my side cases are 35 each. (I wish all three were larger.)
I can take all of my luggage off in less than one minute, so swapping a duffel bag and my top case wouldn't be a problem. I may put a flat plate on later that will attach like my top case.
I like having my stuff locked up when commuting.
Here are a few pics of mine for comparison.
Rear
View attachment 1956

I'm all about funtionality, can care less about looks, I've used top boxes alone and with side on many bikes, I always found myself useing the top box. I never had any issues with handling or anything else. If I want to remove it, it takes one second. 10 lbs in a box is no where near the same as a 125 lb passenger (wishing my ole lady was 125). I'm not a knee dragger and I doupt if anybody with fully loaded boxes of any kind and on a trip will be dragging knees either. Most experienced riders will adjust their riding style when in full loaded mode. When empty or with a loaf of bread in it, handling is just not an issue.

Nothing IMO will beat a top box for ease of use and being able to haul larger items than in a sidebag....just sayin...

+ 1 for Side cases!

I use the top box to carry my work bag as the Frunk has other items in it such as chain lube and spare gloves socks and underwear in case my clothing leaks on the way to work. It has not done so yet but I don't fancy sitting in wet cloths for 12 hours if it does

I use the top box to carry my work bag as the Frunk has other items in it such as chain lube and spare gloves socks and underwear in case my clothing leaks on the way to work. It has not done so yet but I don't fancy sitting in wet cloths for 12 hours if it does

+1 My cubby carries my camera, flashlights and other necessities that my not be allowed in some countries.

BTW, my top case is the 35L one, which is smaller and look way sleeker than the big fat 55s...
:p
With the NCX "trunk", I have more than enough space.

BTW, my top case is the 35L one, which is smaller and look way sleeker than the big fat 55s...
:p
With the NCX "trunk", I have more than enough space.
Why so tiny? That wouldn't fit my lunch, my helmet or my beer!

Another vote for a top case here.

I bought and used side cases on my last bike the first 4 years I had it daily because they looked better. Then, I finally got a decent top case, and I pretty much stopped using the side cases unless I really need extra space.

The weight/COG thing is a legitimate concern in theory, but I've never noticed in everyday riding. I work for a beer distributor and regularly take a case of beer home from work (~30lb) in my top case. I wouldn't go off roading with it back there, but it doesn't give me any trouble -- it certainly isn't unstable.

Also, the aerodynamics of a top case seem to be better, and it gives the wife something to lean against on the rare occasion she rides along.

So.... there are pros and cons to both. Lane splitting is illegal here, or that would be another big plus for a top case, but it really boils down to what you want, IMO.

trey

Trey- Your last bike didn't happen to be a Suzuki 1250 Bandit did it?

If you had to choose one, which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

... I wear a daypack to carry all my stuff (lunch, work stuff, etc)...

Let me know what you'd recommend.

Thanks!

Well, if you carry a daypack with items in it, regardless of what get (saddle bags or trunk) you are going to need a bag to carry your stuff anyway. So, another, very simple option would be to just get the rear rack and bungee your daypack to it. Carry a dry bag in the not-a-tank for those rainy days and you are all set. Or, buy a waterproof daypack and call it a day.

I personally went with the Honda saddle bags. Like others have said, lower center of gravity. I also want to maybe do some multi-day touring on it. With the not-a-tank, saddle bags, and maybe a backpack secured to the rear rack, I think I should be able to carry all the necessities for a comfortable trip.

WGW

It sure was. You another convert over from the dark side, TCinNC?

trey
I thought I remembered your name from the Bandit Forum. I traded in my 07 Bandit 3 years ago for a Yamaha FJR. I'm seriously looking at the NC, but the dealers in my area don't seem to get many onto their show room floors. I like the FJR, but 90% of my riding is a 40 mile round trip commute, with a few day rides and a couple of mountain trips a year. I'm not getting any younger, and the FJR isn't getting any lighter. Did you trade your Bandit for the NC or sell it? What are the pros and cons of your Honda?

Terry

Back