• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

I went for panniers, Hepco & Becker Junior 30L items, with custom Honda badges.

MyNC700XXAM2_zpsc7fc6f6a.jpg

I (if ever needed) would go for the top box... only for the convenience of filtering (but that also depends on willingness and law I assume). ;)

Dave, does the H&B panniers require attachment to the rear tail? The reason I asked is I have tail tidy (no tail) and wonder which hard case side bags can I use.

The H&B frames attach to the section near the rear foot pegs and where the grab handles mount, there is a linking bar that goes between the two side frames which passes between the rear tire and the rear number plate.

I thought I'd return to this thread to update my feedback/impressions on this question. I'm sure OP made their choice long since, but for posterity and all:

I now have all 3 Honda hard bags, and have had for a couple or few months. I find that, overall, I use the top case most all the time, and the saddlebags very rarely. They generally sit in their storage place in the garage. I still prefer the saddlebags at least in theory/concept, but that little extra width and the sideways way they open makes them too wide to comfortably use and park the bike in the garage.

You see, here in this part of the USA, if you have a house made in the last few decades, it has to either be a McMansion or a genuinely _expensive_ place if you want a garage that's actually large enough to park a vehicle in AND still be able to use the doors on both sides of it, or walk in front _and_ behind it with the garage door closed. If a person should happen to own a full-size pickup (which I do not), it's going to stay outside. So, since I have to put the bike either in front of or behind my Subaru, it's a tight squeeze rendered much more difficult/inconvenient by the saddlebags.

I still can't pick up an mpg difference between running the saddlebags, the top case, both, or neither (not above normal variation, I mean) unless there's a noticeable head wind, and even then it's questionable.

I thought I'd return to this thread to update my feedback/impressions on this question. I'm sure OP made their choice long since, but for posterity and all:

I now have all 3 Honda hard bags, and have had for a couple or few months. I find that, overall, I use the top case most all the time, and the saddlebags very rarely. They generally sit in their storage place in the garage. I still prefer the saddlebags at least in theory/concept, but that little extra width and the sideways way they open makes them too wide to comfortably use and park the bike in the garage.

Dear sir, you hit the nail on the head.
Side cases are good to look at and only useful in a full touring mode.
For everyday or weekend warrior missions, a top box is more than enough.
:p

This is going to seem like a very vain question, but here goes:

Does the Honda top case come in a matching red color, or is it only available to match the silver NCXs?
I've looked everywhere I can think of, and I can only find pictures of the silver top case.
It's Monday, so I can't call a dealership. And with this awesome internet, why wait? Please enlighten me.

No matching red for the top case. But then there is no matching red panels for the saddlebags either. Only silver.
I too would like RED accent trim for both the saddlebags and top case.

Top case. I currently have a bags connection expandable rear case. It works great, except when I have to put petrol in it. It only takes a Minute to remove and reinstall, but when it's 90+ outside its annoying. I plan on getting a proper rack and top case as soon as more funds are available. That way the wife will have a backrest when we 2up.

Top case for me. It holds all my rain gear, including a pair of rubber knee-high boots, and room for a little more.
It also has an LED strip light that works with the brake light.

This is going to seem like a very vain question, but here goes:

Does the Honda top case come in a matching red color, or is it only available to match the silver NCXs?
I've looked everywhere I can think of, and I can only find pictures of the silver top case.
It's Monday, so I can't call a dealership. And with this awesome internet, why wait? Please enlighten me.

I believe the 35L is just a generic Honda topcase. It is available in many colours for many scooters too.
I am unsure about the bigger box.
:p

No matching red for the top case. But then there is no matching red panels for the saddlebags either. Only silver.
I too would like RED accent trim for both the saddlebags and top case.

Honda USA is now showing a picture of red trim panels for the saddlebags on the accessories page of the website. HOWEVER, they're not listing them for sale. Perhaps late this year, or early next?

Back