• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

I'm the one who originally posted this question. I still don't have an NC700 yet, but I've really enjoyed the forum -- and all your great insight about top and side cases. Your answers and experience will help me when I finally get a new motorcycle (okay, it may be a Honda CB500X).

I totally understand and appreciate the convenience of a top case. That make a lot of sense. The only downside I see is an aesthetic one -- it's very tall and it leaves the large space between the top of the rear tire and the fender. I know that's just about looks. I still like the idea of choosing a top case if I could only get the top OR the side cases.

Thanks everyone!

That tall visual from the rear also helps with conspicuity, especially if you adorn it with reflective tape in odd patterns or LED light kits.

In the same vein, side cases add to the visual width of a bike which oddly give surrounding traffic the impression that they can't actually fit in the same lane with you.

The mind reads visual clues and automatically interprets the spacial relations. The trick is using that to your advantage. It's the equivalent to those butterflies whose wing coloring patterns make them look like a set of bird eyes or similar.

I like a lower look No top box that's what the frunk is for.

I dont like a trunk on the Goldwings it looks like an after thought, and like i said, i like that lower look.

The frunk is no replacement for a 55 liter top box, it replaces one saddlebag at best. Trunk on a Goldwing an after thought? Isn't it designed as a premium luxo tourer?
Sounds like there is a Harley in your future, Harley=form, Goldwing, NC700=function.

Well, I have top case and soft panniers. I use mainly the top case and fit the panniers when needed, mainly camping. I know a top case can compromise handling, but I never overload it. Regarding if it looks better or worse I don't care too much.

How do you keep the right soft bag from getting burned by the exhaust pipe or are you using a smaller exhaust than I have on the 700X? Thanks

Top case for me. It holds all my rain gear, including a pair of rubber knee-high boots, and room for a little more.
It also has an LED strip light that works with the brake light.

Which to case has the Led Strip and Stop? I saw a bestem with this setup and installed on the 04 wee I just sold, but looking for topbox that will fit the GIVI tail mount.

Back