• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Werid sound and bump when shifting (DCT model)

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
I have a weird sound, almost like something is loose, knocking every now and then when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, but none of the other gears. It isnt loud, but was not there before yesterday. It is kind of like a knock and it sounds like there is a free bolt or nut or maybe even a rock somewhere loose, but I have not been able to find it. Anyone else with a DCT ever heard/felt anything like that? I am at just over 11000 miles.

I am taking it in this weekend, as it is still under warranty, to get it looked at, however there is no telling when I will get it back.

DCT at almost 9.000. Don't want to jinx myself, but no noises as you describe. But I'll be watching your follow-up just in case!!!

Yep, loose chain. Went down to check on it, and not only is the chain way loose, the rear is canted slightly and not completely aligned. Looks like I have some work to do this evening.

Now, I am only assuming this is the issue until I get it adjusted and the rear tire aligned, but it makes sense that is what it is now that I have looked at it. I will update once the work is done and I put a few miles on it.

Also check for kinks in the chain, if you have kinks, probably time for a new chain and sprockets (the OEMs kinda suck). Mine started making that noise at around 11,000 mile mark (just getting back from a 2000 mile trip). I would adjust the chain and it would be good for awhile and start making the noise again, adjust, quiet for 300-400 miles, noise would start, adjust, quiet, and so on-also had a few kinks form in the chain, but I gutted it out until the 22,000 mile mark, when I needed new sprockets. No noise for the last 5000 miles since replacing them. Not difficult to do as long as you have a center stand-replaced the sprockets and chain myself (got a cheap harbor fright chain breaker which works good). If you decide you need to change sprockets/chains, let me know and I can help...yea, and it only made the noise shifting from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd..

Yeah, it makes sense, thinking about it now. At the higher speeds, it would be pulled pretty taut. I had the wheel off about 1100 miles ago when I had the tire replaced, and the sprockets were fine, no kinks in the chain. I keep it pretty clean and lubed. I was going to do the cleaning again this weekend once I washed the dirt off from the other week of rain and mud.

I am gonna go over to a friend's garage (Retro Wrench) tonight and see if he can give a quick assist on tightening and straightening.

Also check for kinks in the chain, if you have kinks, probably time for a new chain and sprockets (the OEMs kinda suck). Mine started making that noise at around 11,000 mile mark (just getting back from a 2000 mile trip). I would adjust the chain and it would be good for awhile and start making the noise again, adjust, quiet for 300-400 miles, noise would start, adjust, quiet, and so on-also had a few kinks form in the chain, but I gutted it out until the 22,000 mile mark, when I needed new sprockets. No noise for the last 5000 miles since replacing them. Not difficult to do as long as you have a center stand-replaced the sprockets and chain myself (got a cheap harbor fright chain breaker which works good). If you decide you need to change sprockets/chains, let me know and I can help...yea, and it only made the noise shifting from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd..

I will take you up on this once I get to that point. It "seems" simple enough and not an expensive maintenance item. I am also going to attempt to get a center stand in the next month or so, finances willing. Gotta learn how to do my own oil and filter changes sooner than later.

Back