• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Denali sound bomb split horn

Mr. Commuter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello I have been using Denali sound bomb compact for just one year. It's always been disturbed by water. Now am thinking about replacing it with another horn. Am considering the split version of it.
Is there anyone suing toe Denali sound bomb split horn?? I need some reviews.
What are the consequences of not using the wiring harness when connecting the horn???!!

Hello I have been using Denali sound bomb compact for just one year. It's always been disturbed by water. Now am thinking about replacing it with another horn. Am considering the split version of it.
Is there anyone suing toe Denali sound bomb split horn?? I need some reviews.
What are the consequences of not using the wiring harness when connecting the horn???!!
I don't know what exact model Denali horn is on your bike but if it is mounted so that rain water can fill the trumpet ( the hollow part where the sound comes out) can you just change the orientation of the horn so the trumpet won't hold water? It doesn't make a huge difference in the volume level if the trumpet points down or points forward.

The worst consequences of not using a relay for a horn that draws more amperage than the Honda OEM is that the contacts in the horn switch can burn or pit from heat generated from the high current draw. The switch becomes unreliable or sticks in the on position. Hopefully the fuse for that circuit blows before damage is done to the contacts but a blown fuse stops the horn from working. Additionally, using an appropriate sized relay allows the horn to generate the full amount of sound it is capable of.

I installed the regular sound bomb. I don’t think you need a split horn unless you’re doing something special. The lack of relay can also blow a fuse in your system. I am not electrically inclined but I still managed it without too much issue.

Actually, the worst consequence of not using the relay is having the switch stick on, and the overloaded wires overheat and melt the insulation on other wires in the harness. A fire could ensue. I admit this is not very likely, but you did ask for the possible consequences. Relays are used to switch larger currents because they are cheaper than designing a switch to handle high current loads.

Actually, the worst consequence of not using the relay is having the switch stick on, and the overloaded wires overheat and melt the insulation on other wires in the harness. A fire could ensue. I admit this is not very likely, but you did ask for the possible consequences. Relays are used to switch larger currents because they are cheaper than designing a switch to handle high current loads.
Isn’t that what a fuse or circuit breaker is for?

Isn’t that what a fuse or circuit breaker is for?
Yes, and we know the wiring on all bikes is original and untouched by hands that are not expert electricians. I do remember a few discussions on the ST website and pictures of damaged wiring with melted insulation.

I don't know what exact model Denali horn is on your bike but if it is mounted so that rain water can fill the trumpet ( the hollow part where the sound comes out) can you just change the orientation of the horn so the trumpet won't hold water? It doesn't make a huge difference in the volume level if the trumpet points down or points forward.

The worst consequences of not using a relay for a horn that draws more amperage than the Honda OEM is that the contacts in the horn switch can burn or pit from heat generated from the high current draw. The switch becomes unreliable or sticks in the on position. Hopefully the fuse for that circuit blows before damage is done to the contacts but a blown fuse stops the horn from working. Additionally, using an appropriate sized relay allows the horn to generate the full amount of sound it is capable of.
Currently am using Denali sound bomb compact but it's no longer working. Recently I was forced to change the pump coz the one that came with the horn worked for only a few weeks. Should I attribute this to the fact I didn't use the wiring harness??!!

Currently am using Denali sound bomb compact but it's no longer working. Recently I was forced to change the pump coz the one that came with the horn worked for only a few weeks. Should I attribute this to the fact I didn't use the wiring harness??!!
What do you mean by “the wiring harness”? Is this something unique that was supplied with the Denali sound bomb compact?

I've had the Soundbomb Split on my NC for a couple of years now. I use the horn only rarely, but when I do, it's a substantial improvement over the bleat of the OEM horn.IMG_2999.jpeg

It is doubtful that not using a specific harness would damage the horn. But. These things draw a lot of power and if the wiring supplying the horn is undersized, you will experience voltage drop. This makes the motor on the compressor work harder, it generates more heat, and could burn out IF you lean on the horn button for a long long time. Using the horn as intended - a quick blast now and then would not damage it even w/ too little voltage. I had a Fiamm horn that sounded weak unless I ran a direct line from the battery. Then I got a good loud blast. A relay and heavy wire from an aux panel solved that problem.

Have you tried directly powering the horn with two wires from the battery to test it out? It is possible that you fried the switch or damaged something else in the circuit.

Is it weather resistant?

It's water resistant, of course, being designed for use on a motorcycle. Probably more water resistant than I am.

With regard to mounting the thing, I followed my usual procedure of sitting on a stool for what seemed like hours visualizing where and how I would organize the installation.

I used the Denali compressor bracket, cutting off about 1.5 inches and drilling a hole to give clearance from the engine guard bars. I mounted the trumpet on the frame with zip ties, placing strips of silicone rubber on the mounting surfaces to make it secure.

The included wiring harness is heavy gauge and well-constructed, and much too long, so I cut it down. I chose to remove the pins from the connectors, shorten the wires to the appropriate length to fit without excess, put new pins on and reassemble the connectors. As I recall, I used a new socket for the relay, but I don't remember why. I know there was a reason.

One could have jammed up the three or four feet or so of excess wire somewhere under the plastic, but that's not my style.

A little bit of work, to be sure, but I haven't given the horn any thought since, except on the those rare occasions when I use it.

Back