• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wanting to add oil pressure gauge...

Lou Wambsganss

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:confused: I like to have an oil pressure gauge on anything I drive. I've added gauges to cars, trucks, lawnmowers, and motorcycles. In my experience, it's easiest to tap a "T" fitting where the factory idiot light switch gets its pressure on the engine block. However, on the NC, I cannot find where this is... I can see two bolts with copper washers on the left side of the engine. See pic below. I'm assuming that the outer one is just for low pressure oil to drip onto the rotor and sling onto the stator to keep the windings cool. The inner bolt, though, is unknown to me. Does anyone know if this is a full pressure engine oil galley? Or does anyone know where the red "OIL" light on the dash gets its signal from?

20131203_202257.jpg

The service manual shows it to the bike's right side from the oil filter on the XD, less clear for the X. It also shows a plug below the base of the oil filter to screw in a pressure gauge adapter.

I will be following this thread. Let me know what you find out, as I am the exact same way about needing to know my oil pressure.

I will be following this thread. Let me know what you find out, as I am the exact same way about needing to know my oil pressure.

I believe I have it figured out. Looks like the oil light switch is just inboard of the oil filter and looks to be fairly easy to access. Should be able to put a 1/8" fine thread pipe "T" and run a gauge that way. Now the question is How and where to mount the gauge...

photo.jpg

I will have to go out and look at mine. I think a small braided line and a frame mount would work as far as mounting the gauge itself. Then you would need to accommodate the T-fitting and the oil pressure sending unit, assuming there is enough space.

Back