• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

waiting the gas station

deedub

Reaction score
Visit site
waiting at the gas station

For my wife to bring my spare key. I guess the ole NC is getting old.tmp_17356-20160218_0806371428334070.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use that key for anything but the ignition switch? Just wondering how it was being flexed to the breaking point.

As per OCR, I keep an extra key near me for that situation.
Now, if I could somehow keep a freshly charged battery near by.... hmmm....

I keep an extra key in the zipper pocket of my jacket. Have not used it yet, but I am sure I will.
I keep a spare in the inside liner of my saddlebag, between the mount and the stiffener, I need to use a screwdriver to get to it, and you can't tell it's there. and as OCR says haven't need to access it, but I know it's there

It broke off in the frunk/gas cylinder as I was using it to open the seat to get gas. That cylinder has a stupid design with the key only inserting half way, putting all the rotational force on the narrowest part of the key. At least it happened only about 10 miles from home.

I keep a spare key in my <location withheld for security reasons>.

It broke off in the frunk/gas cylinder as I was using it to open the seat to get gas. That cylinder has a stupid design with the key only inserting half way, putting all the rotational force on the narrowest part of the key. At least it happened only about 10 miles from home.

If you're not familiar with the trick....... pushing down on the front edge of the rear seat while turning the key greatly reduces the torque that is applied to the key shaft.

I keep a spare in the inside liner of my saddlebag, between the mount and the stiffener, I need to use a screwdriver to get to it, and you can't tell it's there.
So where do you keep the screwdriver? Hopefully not in the frunk like I do.

The short key cylinder for the frunk/gas lock does put a lot of stress on the key but we can minimize it by cutting key blank down and affixing a knob to it to make a dedicated frunk lock key.

If you're not familiar with the trick....... pushing down on the front edge of the rear seat while turning the key greatly reduces the torque that is applied to the key shaft.

With the Corbin seat, the technique mentioned above is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure).

I also recommend that you have a key made that is above 3/4" shorter than the original one for frunk use. There a has been many discussion about making a dedicated "Frunk Key" on this forum. Many people mount the key in some short of knob. I just have a shorter key on a waist coil key ring that I put on my arm when riding.

Attachments

• IMG_3450.jpg
    IMG_3450.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 325
I always carry a spare key. I've lost two ignition keys on rides...I don't know how. I also did the Frunk Key knob and I got Dales rear rack so I don't have to unlock anything to add gas. Every time I stopped, I was afraid it wouldn't open.

I keep a spare key to each bike on a keyring in my left pocket just in case it gets lost or breaks. It's a long walk from some of those back roads I ride to the house and you can't always count on telephone service being available.

Back