• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wabdr..2014 ????

Theres a GREAT feature article on the WABDR in the Sept issue of ADVmoto magazine !!!.

aryvypez.jpg

na3y6evy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night at a M/C event I ran into a friend of mine that I have ridden offroad on the Vstrom's with.I asked her if she wanted to do the WABDR next July and she started to laugh.
Turns out she just finished the WABDR last week !!.She told that day 3 is a real B%^*+!!!,the Umptanum section has a bunch of washouts ( some 6-10' deep !!.).Anyway she's game to do the run again with us,so we will has a person thats done it before...

Last night at a M/C event I ran into a friend of mine that I have ridden offroad on the Vstrom's with.I asked her if she wanted to do the WABDR next July and she started to laugh.
Turns out she just finished the WABDR last week !!.She told that day 3 is a real B%^*+!!!,the Umptanum section has a bunch of washouts ( some 6-10' deep !!.).Anyway she's game to do the run again with us,so we will has a person thats done it before...

I watched the video and visited with another rider who did the WABDR on a XR650R and he said it was "work" to do the whole route. He said some of the worst spots could be avoided with the easier ride around. I have a buddy who would like to come along with his XR650L, that would require us to trailer bikes to a point and double ride the WABDR in both directions. I would probably bring my 650L then too. Still working out the details. Good to have a guide.

Ya,she said most of the people ( Touratech event ) rode around the washed out section on the paved road.

I just watched three of the four videos and that looks like an awesome ride. I have to ask a question though. Before you give me a bad time remember that I have only riden sport bikes my whole life and there is no way I would attempt something like that on one of my previous bikes.

I noticed that a large amount if time the guys were standing straight up. I've done this on occassion trying to see over the trees and such but these guys seem to do it quite a lot. Is it because the trail conditions are so bumpy and rough? Trying not to get bounced off the bike? I've never gone offroad like that so I'm curious.

Depending on the timing of this trip, I would be interested in joining up. I would likely be riding my KLR rather than the NC.

I got about 1 and a half days through the COBDR before charging system issues ended my ride. The rest of the group
completed the ride and said that at least for that route, the claims that one can ride the route in X days were overly
optimistic. I haven't looked at WABDR ride reports, but I'm curious since that has been around longer if the estimates
are more accurate.

I just watched three of the four videos and that looks like an awesome ride. I have to ask a question though. Before you give me a bad time remember that I have only riden sport bikes my whole life and there is no way I would attempt something like that on one of my previous bikes.

I noticed that a large amount if time the guys were standing straight up. I've done this on occassion trying to see over the trees and such but these guys seem to do it quite a lot. Is it because the trail conditions are so bumpy and rough? Trying not to get bounced off the bike? I've never gone offroad like that so I'm curious.

Standing up allows weight transfer with your feet and the bike floats underneath you. This summer I took a street rider, who was deathly afraid of gravel and dirt out on my XR650L. I told him to stand up with flex in the knees and elbows. He was amazed how fast he could ride in the dirt and on gravel roads while feeling in control.

Standing up allows weight transfer with your feet and the bike floats underneath you. This summer I took a street rider, who was deathly afraid of gravel and dirt out on my XR650L. I told him to stand up with flex in the knees and elbows. He was amazed how fast he could ride in the dirt and on gravel roads while feeling in control.

I would probably be that guy that was a little nervous having never done that. Just seems like it would be more difficult to make turns with your arms straight up above the handle bars. Apparently not.

As Waterboyjon said, standing does let you transfer weight with your feet -- you can put more weight on one peg or the other as
conditions warrant which helps with control. You will typically transfer your weight to the outside peg during a turn, and you can
actually steer the bike with your feet. You also are in a better stance for transferring your weight forward and aft to accommodate
terrain changes.

I would probably be that guy that was a little nervous having never done that. Just seems like it would be more difficult to make turns with your arms straight up above the handle bars. Apparently not.

More turning with your weight on the foot pegs. Not sure I understand the dynamics. watch this clip of Jonah Street, he makes it look easy. Johnny Campbell and Jonah are fast.

Back